Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scree

Founders' Update: We're listening! - Official discussion thread

Which evidence are you going by to deduce that internally the developers are divided about which community they are making a game for?

It's my opinion that's what! Please feel free to have your own.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

It's my opinion that's what! Please feel free to have your own.

Yea but is there anything ACE has shown in any way that caused you to deduce that internally they are divided about who they are making the game for? 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

That's when I get puzzled: Where are we coming up short in our communication?

People saying ACE doesn't communicate enough game news don't know what they are talking about. The (amount of) updates have been astonishing imo.

But, I would love to see some more activity from ACE on the forums from time to time, especially during and around the weekends. Sometimes we're getting 3-4 days of radio silence. Still remember Billy interacting a lot with us when you released the UI video's. It was great and I want to see more of that!  :)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Yea but is there anything ACE has shown in any way that caused you to deduce that internally they are divided about who they are making the game for? 

The whole 10 abilities + rooting on all spells/abilities makes me very worried. It seems that with those 2 things combined they are trying to slow down combat and make it more casual and "bad/slow player" friendly.

I think everything else they have talked about and all the ideas they have are 10/10(with maybe the EK's as the single exception), but those 2 things about the combat makes me very worried that they are trying to appeal to a wider audience.

7ug90hM.png

People saying ACE doesn't communicate enough game news don't know what they are talking about. The (amount of) updates have been astonishing imo.

Agreed, the transparency has been very unprecedented..

The whole 10 abilities + rooting on all spells/abilities makes me very worried. It seems that with those 2 things combined they are trying to slow down combat and make it more casual and "bad/slow player" friendly.

I think everything else they have talked about and all the ideas they have are 10/10(with maybe the EK's as the single exception), but those 2 things about the combat makes me very worried that they are trying to appeal to a wider audience.

I don't like the current iteration of combat and can agree there, but to me that doesn't really indicate any sorta division within the company... it just indicates that that's where they are at right now, but they've already reminded us so many times that this is pre-alpha the game is going to go through numerous revisions.

The most interesting and telling questions for me were the choose which side of the scale you are on ones.

Like Crits or No Crits ever? Like Twich skills or long term strategy?  Like building or destroying? 

except for the crit thing, these things aren't exclusive and by no means black&white

I'm not going to make a big thread about why I suspect what I suspect . I'm not here to smear ACE. I formed an opinion that is that. Frankly I hope it's the case because I don't like all the hand holding that already exists even to this point without a game and I hope at least one person on staff (Crazy Todd perhaps) is feeling it too. I could care less what your particular opinion is on the subject the only opinions that matter to me are that of ACE and myself, maybe a few of the slackers too because they are cool.

I like the survey, & would like to see anonymous results posted. I would even like the option of posting my own answers, for the purpose of stirring debate on what reasonable expectations are for this or any game.

That was a long taking survey.

Especially the last part.

Comparing these different games about how similar they are to each other, felt kinda like comparing apples with lemons or bananas.

It was very difficult and a big effort.

I am also unsure for which reason these comparing questions were asked.

Maybe to rate your individual level of commitment and experience, to weight your data appropriate, I would guess.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Long survey, but I dont mind letting ACE know how I feel.  As long as I get to kill carebears and make them cry, it will be awesome.  All I need are a small band of brothers to come kick over that sandcastle you are building and steal the pixels you are collecting.  If I get to take your cool hat or whooping stick and get to wear it afterwards, that is even better.

For there to be memorable events that you take with you from a game, there must be conflict.  You can fight the game or you can fight other players.  I like it when the greater rewards are from fighting intelligent opponents.  Even your boy Ernest Hemingway knew that, "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those that have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

Most pvp games can not handle server wide battles or large engagements so you have to make do.  When I fight someone, I dont want lag to be the determining factor of who wins.  I also hate structured PvP.  If I wanted to play football or rugby, I would.  Though I do play rugby with big sticks.  *grins* What can I say, no broken bones this year.  Knock on wood.

Edited by zolaz

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Merged Scree's thread about the survey into this one so we can keep the conversation centralized. I know it's a little sloppy with my 'announcement post' being further down, but I was more interested in keeping the discussion in one thread rather than locking, redirecting and all that jazz. 

I understand that someone who's new to the site/community may not understand why we don't have much information about anything beyond combat. Maybe they haven't read all the past articles. But some of you have been here even longer than I have and have practically memorized every word ever written about the game. That's when I get puzzled: Where are we coming up short in our communication?

It seems to me that we've published piece after piece about how combat is the main focus right now and why that's so. We've been upfront about how small the team is. Only three full-time game designers, if you include Todd. How could we possibly be secretly perfecting our plans on crafting and EKs in the back room? More importantly, why would we do that and keep it all completely on the down-low but have all of our other cards laid out on the table all nakey and stuff? 

I'm not being facetious. I wholeheartedly welcome your feedback about what we can do better to close some of these gaps where we're giving information and it's not resonating like it should even among some of the most faithful regulars on our site and forum. 

I take it you're referring to Scree's initial post.  I didn't see many other people really agreeing with him(I mentioned, the thought crossed my mind as far as cutting features - didn't help that I recently listened to a talk Gordon gave where he mentions that features that players don't want to begin with are probably a waste of money - but that was just a thought I dismissed).  Were there other, specific, comments that gave you the impression that everyone expects more updates on non-combat related stuff?  

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely can't wait until we get into more mechanics and character customization stuff, but everyone seems pretty reasonable other than that initial post (unless I missed one).

Also, Devil's Advocate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBO1I7fwL4M&feature=youtu.be&t=14m2s

Edited by yamix

In reading the entire announcement again i'd like to say that everyone here expects you to shamelessly promote this game as are we in our perspective circles. The only issue I was aware of was the maturity level of the content put out and the fact that the prize was on par with what backers that backed in March are receiving which made them fell like they could have waited until now to back and the earlier the better thing didn't apply.

IMO give away all you want just make it to people that will actually play at launch, as you say, not much money so target your shots carefully.

Cosplay really? Even calling it a "Crowfall look alike contest" or "Crowfall Halloween Costume Contest" would have been leagues better. It just shows a disconnect with target audience or throws the flag "maybe I'M in the wrong place". Chastising anyone who criticizes ACE's policies is expected on these forums, angry retorts are what they want from us so the annoymods can swoop in. But ACE you promised us you could take criticism! I understand sometimes it's tough to hear about your work. Had you asked in advance if this was a good idea and gotten that thread back in reply would you have still done it the same?

Edited by KRIPTIK

In reading the entire announcement again i'd like to say that everyone here expects you to shamelessly promote this game as are we in our perspective circles. The only issue I was aware of was the maturity level of the content put out and the fact that the prize was on par with what backers that backed in March are receiving which made them fell like they could have waited until now to back and the earlier the better thing didn't apply.

IMO give away all you want just make it to people that will actually play at launch, as you say, not much money so target your shots carefully.

Cosplay really? Even calling it a "Crowfall look alike contest" or "Crowfall Halloween Costume Contest" would have been leagues better. It just shows a disconnect with target audience or throws the flag "maybe I'M in the wrong place". Chastising anyone who criticizes ACE's policies is expected on these forums, angry retorts are what they want from us so the annoymods can swoop in. But ACE you promised us you could take criticism! I understand sometimes it's tough to hear about your work. Had you asked in advance if this was a good idea and gotten that thread back in reply would you have still done it the same?

No.

When/if the combat reaches a certain level, then it's hype time.

Edited by Sciocco

gCWxS8u.jpg

@sciocco I see your point. Us most dedicated players (the crazies) might look at your polished turd (it's just a saying) and say oh that's soo nice but the rest of humanity just sees a turd at this point. You warned us that this would be a side effect of the pre-everything transparency you are trying to achieve.

1st we need to all have a collective definition of what good combat is at least to the majority of the fanbase and I think the survey takes steps to provide that data to the people that need to see it. Unfortunately I knew this would be required of us as backers to "show our color's" and that's why I fought so hard to keep all the forum's as one whole community and also not perma ban 50% of the people that think like me from the forums and the game.

Is it true that anyone that unsubscribed didn't receive an email? How hard is it to add those addresses web wizards? Wouldn't you want to hear from those ppl MOST?