Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scree

Founders' Update: We're listening! - Official discussion thread

That is a bit more honest than claiming they wanted you to fill out 4 surveys.  Better late than never.  Good luck!

Just telling ya what ya want to hear....

Transparency was a poor wording in my initial post. What I really meant to post (looking back) was "engagement". I don't feel very engaged by the developers (though I suppose the ACE Development Forum people do at this point). Unengaged customers leave, and rarely come back.

VN answered most of your post similar to what I was gonna write, but just wanted to add one little thing. It's too bad you're feeling unengaged, especially as ACE thus far is setting new records for developer engagement on pretty much all fronts. Personally I don't worry too much about any potential reddit negligence as that place is an utter cesspool and it's users toxic and the very paramount of stupid in most instances.

The game is getting sufficient coverage so far and will continue to market itself as ACE keeps up development and their transparency.

Member of The BlackHand Order

So whats it gonna be ACE, strategy?, or the strategy of whatever works in a tactically bankrupt game?

I agree with your sentiment about wanting strategy, but what features or reassurances do you want from the devs to support more strategic play? I think there vision is to provide situations that create emergent gameplay and let the player base form the strategies.  Things like castle sieges and war engines, embargo caravans, POI's that much be found and defended, and the "Kneel" mechanic all create challenges that are left to the players to solve. However, strategy will only truly shine if there is more than one, and hopefully many solutions to most of these scenarios.  It will be the sandbox elements of the game: Voxels, the physics engine, player built structures, and even the specialization of Archetypes themselves through Disciplines and Promotions that provide the tools to seek different solutions.

Combat can either add to or detract from strategy, and of course a lot of the recent focus has been on action combat.  Without play testing it myself I won't speak to how much strategy is involved in combat, though there certainly is some. I don't know if it is more or less than is appropriate for this style of game and if it will hold up in large scale conflict when all archetypes are present.  The synergy or abilities between different archetypes as well as multiples of the same archetype, time-to-kill (ttk), crowd-control, AOE size and impact, and friendly-fire, will either create an environment where communication and close coordination will allow a small group to hold it's own against a larger force, or zergs will rule the day, because as you stated this is not a game about symmetrical warfare.  There will rarely be equal size forces facing off on the battlefield, and victory shouldn't simply be handed to the team with greater numbers.

Perhaps in one of these Pre-Alpha Combat Tests, ACE should see how the combat holds up when the numbers start off unbalanced.  The Hunger Dome could start with 9 teams of varying sizes: 8, 7, 6, 5x3, and 4x3.  The smaller groups start paired in an alliance one group of 5 randomly paired with one group of 4, with a shared chat channel for communication, Friendly Fire is fully enabled; at 9 individuals in each mini-alliance it would be interesting to see if they could coordinate enough to leverage their numbers over the singular groups and the other alliances.  The effects of Fog of War, the difficulty in differentiating friend from foe, might lead to some interesting outcomes.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Not everybody uses Facebook, I sure don't.

I wonder if there is a correlation between people who use Facebook just to play casual app based games, and more hardcore gamers that avoid Facebook for the very same reason.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

I wonder if there is a correlation between people who use Facebook just to play casual app based games, and more hardcore gamers that avoid Facebook for the very same reason.

For me it was more to avoid the stupid baby pictures, I left way before those casual games were a proper thing on there.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

If anything has been proven throughout the life of these forums it is that people will question whether ACE is changing their vision every step of the way no matter how little (in most cases not at all) they've indicated such. 

Trying to appease people that are looking for reasons to question ACE is an inefficient use of their time IMO.  ACE should stay the course, remain reasonable, and just keep working on their game. 

I couldn't agree more.

Regarding the survey, I thought some of the questions were a little strange but now that it has been revealed the who and how it was put together I am not to up in arms about it.

Facebook - Not on Facebook because I want to keep my identity mine.

I'm not a Facebook user either.

Voice Chat is my guess for the most commonly used "social media" communities of gamers, but how you could target that group (Typefrag etc) for marketing Crowfall I don't know.

tiPrpwh.png

I think Reddit is decent for gamers. Certain games really take off. I visit CSGO reddit every day, on the other hand I never bothered with Tera Reddit when I played. Honestly, I feel Crowfall's best bet is to let the players market the game via word-of-mouth/twitch/youtube/reddit/forums.

gCWxS8u.jpg

I think Reddit is decent for gamers. Certain games really take off. I visit CSGO reddit every day, on the other hand I never bothered with Tera Reddit when I played. Honestly, I feel Crowfall's best bet is to let the players market the game via word-of-mouth/twitch/youtube/reddit/forums.

Yep but they also need to make sure the game is modern enough to attract a lot of modern gamers... Which means ACE needs to really understand the state of modern gaming, and for the most part I think they've shown that they do.

They'll meet a lot of opposition on the way if they build the game modern enough though, because a lot of older gamers don't like change and are stuck in less modern views and ways of gaming. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Yep but they also need to make sure the game is modern enough to attract a lot of modern gamers... Which means ACE needs to really understand the state of modern gaming, and for the most part I think they've shown that they do.

They'll meet a lot of opposition on the way if they build the game modern enough though, because a lot of older gamers don't like change and are stuck in less modern views and ways of gaming. 

To be fair, we and ACE don't really want a lot of those modern casual players who will just whine about everything. They've said they're catering to a more hardcore audience. If this game does get big, I just hope ACE doesn't buckle and start to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator, but listening to the combat chats and different dev logs they've released, I'm pretty confident they won't falter from their original vision. Like Todd said, some people are going to hate it, and that's okay. The game isn't going to be for everybody.

To be fair, we and ACE don't really want a lot of those modern casual players who will just whine about everything. They've said they're catering to a more hardcore audience. If this game does get big, I just hope ACE doesn't buckle and start to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator, but listening to the combat chats and different dev logs they've released, I'm pretty confident they won't falter from their original vision. Like Todd said, some people are going to hate it, and that's okay. The game isn't going to be for everybody.

Yup. There hasn't been a better time for this kind of thing, not just in the gaming market, but in general. Look at Patreon (and obviously Kickstarter). The promise of the Internet from a cultural perspective is just beginning to show, I think. There's room for everyone to have things they love, not just like or tolerate. [/Hippy]

It's not just about modern casual, it's also about modern competitive.  Modern competitive gamers are much more hardcore and skilled than less modern competitive gamers...

Also sure there are pockets of hardcore audiences that don't whine about things... but there are also pockets of audiences who like to think they are old hardcore audiences but they complain quite a significant amount... arguably more so than modern casuals. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think if they make the game fairly high skilled combat wise and people stream it on twitch, put youtube videos, and make some reddit posts, things will go well.

gCWxS8u.jpg

My apologies OConner, I think it is a Qualtrics issue we are having with certain versions of Chrome on Windows 7. A simple work-around is to try using a different browser.

For others who might have been having trouble with this. I was able to take the survey by opening the survey in an incognito window.

Wow, I am waiting till just before game releases so I have a clue as to specs...

I'm waiting too. The tech will be even better a year from now and the best stuff out now will be cheaper then.