Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courant101

Unity MMO games

There are several MMO games being currently developed with Unity game engine.

Out of the 7 most anticipated games in development on mmorpg.com, 5 of them use this engine.

Here's a list of Unity MMOs that in my opinion have the potential to grow a substantial player base and to become high quality games. Links to gameplay videos (PvP when available) :

Other Unity MMO projects that I find promising, either early in development, small team/budget or facing development challenges :

• Pathfinder Online
  • Reign of King
  • Project Gorgon
  • Saga of Lucima
  • 7 Days to Die (MMO?)

A few interesting things, based on what I've seen of those games : Unity seems to run pretty smoothly for battles of 15-40 players with no significant lag, the number of renowned companies or developers trusting Unity to create their titles is growing quickly, overall graphically most of the games look decent in relation to their stage of development.

We should soon see how far ACE can push it.

edit : removed Chronicles of Elyria as it's not made with Unity, added "MMO?" tags to 7 Days to Die and Rust as it's unclear if they're MMOs

Edited by courant101

Pathfinder Online

PFO is dead, as many of us predicted it would be before the KS had even ended.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

Which version of Unity are they using?

Gloria Victis, Albion Online, SotA, Rust and Pantheon: RotF are now using Unity 5. Haven't found or searched for the others.

PFO is dead, as many of us predicted it would be before the KS had even ended.

Well I listed PFO under "Other Unity MMO projects [...] facing development challenges". I think they're pretty far in development, I hope they will be good to keep going since many people have been supporting this project.

Edited by courant101

Damn...Crowfall really is a league above all of these other games listed. Pretty crazy there's that much discrepancy. Camelot Unchained is the only somewhat worthy Crowfall competitor I've seen so far and even that isn't looking good imo. Crowfall really is the only game I'm excited for in the genre sadly :/

Also 7 Days To Die uses it

I checked quickly on Steam and it looks like a pretty popular horror survival game, +23,000 reviews (very positive). 

Damn...Crowfall really is a league above all of these other games listed. Pretty crazy there's that much discrepancy. Camelot Unchained is the only somewhat worthy Crowfall competitor I've seen so far and even that isn't looking good imo. Crowfall really is the only game I'm excited for in the genre sadly :/

I also think Crowfall is the most solid and professional project at this stage of development. The budget and the team size & experience probably help a lot in this aspect. Hopefully we'll still have some good surprises coming from a few of these games in development, I'm confident that Gloria Victis and Albion Online will be good games that please their audience for a long time.

7 Days to Die is brilliant, but its not an MMO.

Think Minecraft... with lots and lots of Zombies which are actually dangerous forcing you to fortify the hell out of your house.

Edited by M0rdred

Crowfall is (at least atm) really like the World of Warcraft of PvP sandbox(ish) games. As soon as one game sees some success the AAA devs and producers will jump on the band wagon, oversaturating the market, as they did with WoW and now with character based shooter.

Is it true that there was also some kind of nostalgia bandwagon which people promised ea$y money of?

I AM ME!
I love you all.

7 Days to Die is brilliant, but its not an MMO.

Think Minecraft... with lots and lots of Zombies which are actually dangerous forcing you to fortify the hell out of your house.

Some sites classify it as MMO, like MMOGames, while others categorize it as survival horror, open world sandbox.

Interesting to learn that it also uses voxels.

I don't know what are the exact critera to qualify a game as MMO.

Rust is considered a MMO by a number of websites 1 2 3 4. Maybe it only applies to the high population servers?

PVmr5Fj.png?1

Anyway, I've put the "MMO?" tag next to them, thanks for the info.

Edited by courant101

His last post was in July but it says he was active as of a few days ago. 

Maybe CF fell on the back-burner for him like it did a lot of the rest of us. I haven't seen freeze, fenris, courant or a few other names of rational people for some time now. 

Edited by vucar

aka honeybear

Honeymoon phase from kickstarter is over I guess.

Well lets hope ACE can deliver. We will see very soon.

I guess people will come back when they got something interesting to offer or proved they can deliver or are delivering.

There is still a good bunch of great people continously testing and giving valuable feedback, so ACE still got the support needed for constructive progress of development.

Thanks to all people there giving support.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.