Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Sustainable Competitive Advantage

cannibal man

"to any residential customer for $299 per month,"

Is it really worth that much to have a negligible advantage? You would be better of spending that money on heating, a mixer and good food.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I used to live in Chattannoga and had EPB. Man I do miss uploading my huge uncompressed videos in literally 5 seconds. 

Now I moved back to Virginia with slow ass internet and Data Caps.

Data Caps are custard Satan.

I miss giving out my IP and telling people to try and DDOS me on stream. EPB really is the bomb.

Now I can probably get knocked off by some dude microwaving tinfoil.

Edited by Zybak

Latency is what matters for gaming... on top of that depending which ISP you are using could impact how quickly any routing issues that pop up get solved...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Latency is what matters for gaming... on top of that depending which ISP you are using could impact how quickly any routing issues that pop up get solved...

I had 15-30 ms when I played Wildstar with EPB. That's pretty damn good going from Tennessee to Texas. I'd imagine Tennessee to Virginia will be even faster than that.

I live in Virginia and this dude will probably get better ping than me to the Virginia server.  :angry:

Edited by Zybak

"to any residential customer for $299 per month,"

Is it really worth that much to have a negligible advantage? You would be better of spending that money on heating, a mixer and good food.

If someone pays 299 a month for a service like that but cant pay for heating and such, then they deserve to be shot. Back when they were the first in the western hemisphere to get a 1 gigabyte service they cost almost as much as 300 at the time as well, but now it's cheaper than Comcast.

----

And ya Zybak man, I'm sorry you moved back. Chattanooga as a whole has really kind've made me fall in love with it, and EPB definitely helps hahaha.

Edited by cannibal man

Cannibal Man - Future serial killer

I can't even.  You win, I am done with this part of the discussion.

1Gbps vs 10Gbps makes absolutely no difference to game performance unless you're doing massive torrents at the same time. If your pipe's not congested then there's no difference at all between 900 megs of surplus bandwidth and 9900 megs of surplus bandwidth.

Ping time has absolutely nothing to do with bandwidth except during congestion.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Actually ping tends to be somewhat higher with more bandwidth.

That depends on internet system, some systems allow more bandwith but are not as fast when it comes to transferring data, such as DOCSIS. But more bandwith on same system should not chance ping itself. In fact it should decrease actual delay by very small value. 

Well I don't want to deny that this is impressive but to me it seems that only a small part of the internet is really suited for these rates. Other than that I often think that there are copper cables between some websites and the internet. Doesn't happen very often however sometimes you get these rare moments. 

Also I think there are some ISP which sell routing services extra so I'd rather get one of those than more bandwidth. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

I often think that there are copper cables between some websites and the internet. Doesn't happen very often however sometimes you get these rare moments. 

Most large web farms use copper (either 1G RJ-45 or 10G+ twinax) from the server enclosures to the top of rack switch, so this is true although I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Also I think there are some ISP which sell routing services extra so I'd rather get one of those than more bandwidth. 

Routing services are included with every internet account since without routing you would not get to the internet.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• 4 weeks later...

I moved house, and it took my ISP three months to hook up my internet.

I get 10mbps down, and 1 mbps up.

No caps though, I just can't download anything while using the internet for anything else.