Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

First Look: Champion powers and UI - Official discussion thread

The Ultimate Warrior mechanic sounds like a very interesting one but i am bit concerned about his slow swings. Since this is an action-combat oriented rpg, people can easily kite the champion. I hope you offer him good gap closers to make him a threatening opponent. 

The Ultimate Warrior mechanic sounds like a very interesting one but i am bit concerned about his slow swings. Since this is an action-combat oriented rpg, people can easily kite the champion. I hope you offer him good gap closers to make him a threatening opponent.

I know right? How could they build a character without CC to keep people from running away or closers to catch up AND make him slow? They could have at least given the Champion something like the knight's chain pull, or something to slow people down....

I know right? How could they build a character without CC to keep people from running away or closers to catch up AND make him slow? They could have at least given the Champion something like the knight's chain pull, or something to slow people down....

Love the sarcasm.  :)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Reverse chain pull is the sour note for me. If I harpoon something lighter than me and yank, and if the physics engine is even pretending to do its job, I'm going to pull him to me rather than vice versa. If you want to give the champ a Diablo 2 style leap attack, just do that. If you want to give him a Flash Step, that's fine too. But if you really want to give the champ a hookshot, I'm gonna call shenanigans on the "no phake physics" claim if it launches me towards a guinecean instead of vice versa.

Nice callback with the hurlbats.

Good to know I'm not the only one tired of all the magical chains flying everywhere with these "warrior classes."

Why not just make it a lunge or charge attack? It'd do the same thing without feeling as gimmicky conceptually.

I mean, this is supposed to be a grittier version take on high fantasy mmo's (which i love) but why is there such a heavy reliance on magic with the melee classes? I mean, how many times are they using magical chains in GoT? (Or magic in general, for that matter)

Edited by RKNM

I mean, how many times are they using magical chains in GoT? (Or magic in general, for that matter)

There's quite a bit of magic, actually. Dany entering the fire with dragon eggs and coming out unharmed with live dragons. The White Walkers and dragon glass. Bran and others taking control of animals (and people, in the case of Bran/Hodor). Bran's dreams about the three-eyed raven. Jojen's abilities. The many spells performed by Melisandre, and other miracles performed by followers of the Lord of Light. And probably more that I'm not thinking of.

That aside, I think the reverse chain thing could probably be done a different way, but I'm not sure if they want a leap or something similar. The reverse chain is limited in that if it doesn't connect to another player (or npc), it won't work. A leap ability would work all the time, with or without a target. Aiming wouldn't be nearly as important.

Assuming they want to make aiming and hitting a player/npc target part of the ability, how else might they do it so that it doesn't defy physics?

I've made a French trad there  :)  

Can't wait to test this monster, the powerblock look awesome :D

Edited by Gorwald

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

You had me nodding my head in agreement until you mentioned the Hurlbat skill. Having a free, spammable, stackable ranged bleed with a slow is actually completely ridiculous for a character like the champion. You have to keep in mind that when you're balancing a character around melee dps, you can't give them infinity ways to stay in melee range or else they will just dominate.

You mention 2 slows (possibly 3), an aoe knockdown, an aoe (cone) blind which prevents you from physically seeing what's going on, a 20 meter gap closer, an aoe "silence" effect and 3 stacking tiers of extra damage and mass.

More than half of his abilities control combat in a wide area and you're giving him a way to stick to any target that he wants to from range.... snip...

Plus a "suppression effect that locks out the power trays of all" once the spammable slow gets them in range.

I thought there had already been an internal discussion about how it's not fun to get beat on with no possibility to react to the beating, and how it's noncompetitive when one is unable to fight back with their own skills/powers. Maybe I misunderstood, or someone forgot.

Well at least they are saving all the OP powers for the Ranger archetype that I have played in other games like ISuicide, Trip over Feet, Silly Arrow, Dead on Arrival, and Useless Pet.

That way the Champion can lock out the Rangers ISuicide skill before he can kill himself and totally screw up the Champions K/D ratio.

Anyway they will have to test it before they can balance it, or feel the need to change it.

Edited by corvax

Love the blind- I played UO, DAOC, Warhammer, WoW and DCUO pvp, and always wondered why this was never used.

Know which classic MMO had a pvp blind? Clerics on Rallos Zek in EQ. It literally blacked out the screen, like turning monitor off. Not a pvp game or designed for it, but launch-era Rallos Zek had its moments...

Plus a "suppression effect that locks out the power trays of all" once the spammable slow gets them in range.

I thought there had already been an internal discussion about how it's not fun to get beat on with no possibility to react to the beating, and how it's noncompetitive when one is unable to fight back with their own skills/powers. Maybe I misunderstood, or someone forgot.

Disarming shout only locks the power bar. You still can use your basic powers, Iframe power, and passive powers such as retaliate. In fact, disarming shout is meaningless against targets that are low on their resource and does not prevent them from building more of their resource. Essentially, it gives you a reprieve before your opponents start beating you down with power combos.