Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Engine Is Used?

xotix

Maybe this one?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335930/

If so - I wonder if they got it at the discount price of $59.49 or they had to pay the full $70?  (in which case expect the subs to be higher!)

;):P

With the amount of combined experience these guys have they most certainly will not be using a indie developer tool set, its obviously going to be a commercially licensed mainstream engine such as Unreal, Crytech, Unigine, Forgelight, or even Source. Crowfall is already doing some custom server architecture by the description they have provided, graphically it could be any of those listed.

Great question! I suppose it depends on how well they can get a pre-built engine to fit within their vision of the game. I would guess that they wouldn't change the game to fit an engine but rather find an engine that fits the game. As long as the engine they go with allows the team full flexibility to achieve their vision, it doesn't matter to me what they use.

If it's a mainstream engine, I hope it's Unreal or Source. I crave more beautiful Source games after playing Black Mesa.

"Now what will come out of this? A new mask of power? Some tooth-claw creature? A Matoran marching band?" - Lewa, The Final Battle

"Nothing is more important than my egomania!" - Clara Oswald, Deep Breath

"I AM A FLAMING MOLTRES!" - James, The Fortune Hunters

Unity is legit, i got no qualms if they use that. Pretty sure they arnt using Atavism i feel its too limited and doesnt support many features that we see the devs talking about here it would be a step backwards might as well start from Unity an go from thar, you need Unity anyway to use Atavism if im not mistaken.

Edited by krevra

I don't want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge. I want to play a GAME against PLAYERS, where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose. Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE. Even if i lose, the experience won't feel hollow. I don't want another worthless trophy.

PLAY TO CRUSH

What about something like Landmarks engine? 

I don't want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge. I want to play a GAME against PLAYERS, where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose. Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE. Even if i lose, the experience won't feel hollow. I don't want another worthless trophy.

PLAY TO CRUSH

What about something like Landmarks engine? 

I didn't know about this game nor about its engine : Forgelight. Made by Sony. PlanetSide 2, Everquest Next and H1Z1 also use this engine.

Landmark Destructible environment : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tWzhdxVMw&t=0m0s & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tWzhdxVMw&t=7m25s

Landmark Combat : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tWzhdxVMw&t=5m02s

Looks appealing.  :)

I would be very surprised to learn that Unity is the engine used for Crowfall.

There is basically no "high tier" MMORPG made with it.

I think that Shroud of the Avatar and Gloria Victis are the 2 best attempts so far...

Unity might be good for a very wide variety of games, but in my opinion not for MMORPG.

As Unity user I can tell you that you are wrong, Unity is capable of that and more. 

Performance? it depends of your abilities programming and optimization methods. This is not limited by the engine actually :)

To make a sentence like "x engine is not good for this kind of games", you need to have some knowledge and experience with real-time engines and programming imho.

Edited by Isvrada

Performance? it depends of your abilities programming and optimization methods. This is not limited by the engine actually :)

To make a sentence like "x engine is not good for this kind of games", you need to have some knowledge and experience with real-time engines and programming imho.

I disagree with "Performance ... is not limited by the engine". Even with all the optimization methods, the engine itself has some limits.

And you're right about my knowledge with engine and programmation : near zero. 

However I have not seen yet any great MMORPG using Unity 3D. Large maps, minimal lag, lot of players and objects, good textures and animations... Maybe you did?

Edited by courant101