Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gw2 Is Dying

kovak22

font: http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/2/20150121/Guild_Wars_2_Is_Dying_The_Economy_Issue_Proves_it-54bf7f6762c719713-1.html

When talking about Guild Wars 2, many of you guys often said that "does it still exist?" or "Why does it still stay alive?". Sounds cruelly, but it's true that this game is losing plenty of players. Guild Wars 2's economy remains a hot-button issue even two-and-a-half years after its release. I think its broken economy will lead more loyal players to quit. And next, the words below will let us get a further understanding of this issue.

1421836059213.jpg

Have you ever felt as though the way that Guild Wars 2 handles its economy is a bit off but you couldn't quite articulate why? Tacktix has spent a lot of time thinking and analyzing the problem, which he discusses along with proposed solutions.

1421836073140.jpg 

"The loot system of Guild Wars 2 is so abysmal because of the decision to attach nearly everything to the gold standard. Everything can be turned into gold, and acquiring what you want is just a matter of getting the needed gold and going to the trading post. This is a direct consequence of the maxim 'play how you want,'" he writes.

The economy sucks because the game sucks. *shots fired*

The instance queues were vacant even 6 months into the game. The only thing you could do was buy poorly made socks from the AH if you wanted to advance.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

It might be me generally not taking "dying" MMO posts seriously, but about 90% of the time replacing "dying" with "somehow going into a direction I personally do not like, so I will / have quit it." is closer to the truth.

There's inflation. Well, I can't deny that. However, I fail to see how the economy was THAT bad or THAT important to cause everyone to quit solely due to it being flawed.

Much of the equipment you want to get in GW2 ('s endgame, which is reached fast) are bought by time-gated laurels. You get these by doing dailies/monthlies. I got most of my BIS gear with Karma, WvW tokens and laurels. Gold certainly buys a lot of things, but not all of them are needed. If you play sPvP, you don't need any gold and the economy has no influence at all (except on the acquisition of skins). In the other game modes you don't have to deal with the trading post at all, once you played a while and got your gear together.
So I doubt the argument that gold buys everything and players quitting solely due to economy "killing" the game.
Also, didn't they announce a expansion? I don't think expansions are signs of a "dying" game.

The instance queues were vacant even 6 months into the game. The only thing you could do was buy **** from the AH if you wanted to advance.

I hardly played PvE but I had no problem getting groups for dungeons 1-2 years after release and I wasn't present in any kind of PvE community or guild.

gw2 has been dying since a month after release lol, their retention rate was horrendous... people hit max level and got bored so quickly...

Please define "dying". It was loosing players. Just like most MMOs nowadays shortly after release. A lot of people try the game, have fun with it, see, if they want to play it long term and some probably come to the conclusion that they don't. The people who like the game stay and continue having fun. That doesn't seem like "dying" to me. It's quite natural that a game doesn't appeal to everyone who tries it, isn't it?

I get why people got bored with GW2's PvE. After you learned to play it and actually got a group together that met the level requirement of a dungeon it wasn't very exciting. In my opinion ANet's remodeled holy trinity simply didn't work out well in PvE. The living world story thingies however seemed to entertain a lot of people, though (I can tell that due to my sister playing the game and all the PvP players usually never taking a step into PvE).

Well, all I can say is that I enjoyed GW2 for two years. Mainly been playing WvW and some sPvP. I stopped playing the day I started studying at university because I figured I could use a little more time for learning and GW2 was still dragging me in regularly. I can count the thoughts I gave about economy with the fingers of one hand. /shrug

Have you ever felt as though the way that Guild Wars 2 handles its economy is a bit off but you couldn't quite articulate why? Tacktix has spent a lot of time thinking and analyzing the problem, which he discusses along with proposed solutions.

Would you find me a link to his work please?

Edited by silinsar

No real new permanent content for 2 years will do that to a game. They have an expansion coming so that should inject new life in to it.

Edited by helix

It might be me generally not taking "dying" MMO posts seriously, but about 90% of the time replacing "dying" with "somehow going into a direction I personally do not like, so I will / have quit it." is closer to the truth.

There's inflation. Well, I can't deny that. However, I fail to see how the economy was THAT bad or THAT important to cause everyone to quit solely due to it being flawed.

Much of the equipment you want to get in GW2 ('s endgame, which is reached fast) are bought by time-gated laurels. You get these by doing dailies/monthlies. I got most of my BIS gear with Karma, WvW tokens and laurels. Gold certainly buys a lot of things, but not all of them are needed. If you play sPvP, you don't need any gold and the economy has no influence at all (except on the acquisition of skins). In the other game modes you don't have to deal with the trading post at all, once you played a while and got your gear together.

So I doubt the argument that gold buys everything and players quitting solely due to economy "killing" the game.

Also, didn't they announce a expansion? I don't think expansions are signs of a "dying" game.

I hardly played PvE but I had no problem getting groups for dungeons 1-2 years after release and I wasn't present in any kind of PvE community or guild.

Please define "dying". It was loosing players. Just like most MMOs nowadays shortly after release. A lot of people try the game, have fun with it, see, if they want to play it long term and some probably come to the conclusion that they don't. The people who like the game stay and continue having fun. That doesn't seem like "dying" to me. It's quite natural that a game doesn't appeal to everyone who tries it, isn't it?

I get why people got bored with GW2's PvE. After you learned to play it and actually got a group together that met the level requirement of a dungeon it wasn't very exciting. In my opinion ANet's remodeled holy trinity simply didn't work out well in PvE. The living world story thingies however seemed to entertain a lot of people, though (I can tell that due to my sister playing the game and all the PvP players usually never taking a step into PvE).

Well, all I can say is that I enjoyed GW2 for two years. Mainly been playing WvW and some sPvP. I stopped playing the day I started studying at university because I figured I could use a little more time for learning and GW2 was still dragging me in regularly. I can count the thoughts I gave about economy with the fingers of one hand. /shrug

Would you find me a link to his work please?

Define dying as failing to retain more than 20% of its players a month after release...

i still play GW2, and the majority of friends who started this game are still there.

this MMO is far from dying, i dunno how the author assumed this...

the PROBLEM with GW2 is for sure its economy, cause the PvP is instanced in small scale (sPvP) or in large scale (WvW) and it doesnt consumes gold . Also there are no motivations to spend more gold in their "open world pvp" (WvW) there are no politics and if someone losses doesnt lose anything. WvW in GW2 is just a huge battleground where exists server proud and ppl fight and have fun at this moment i type my gf plays next to me GW2and even on tier2 servers in prime time you can see queues ... in comparison to ESO chapters is much more healthy and in generall is healthy the GW2 population ... also this weekend they are going to have a major announcement ...

so the author of this post at mmosite is totally inaccurate, yes its economy is a problem but the game is far from dead ...

Edited by loulaki

5a1b3fea-fc4c-485e-87da-0147a0f11ae3.png

i still play GW2, and the majority of friends who started this game are still there.

the PROBLEM with GW2 is for sure its economy, cause the PvP is instanced in small scale (sPvP) or in large scale (WvW) and it doesnt consumes gold . Also there are no motivations to spend more gold in their "open world pvp" (WvW) there are no politics and if someone losses doesnt lose anything. WvW in GW2 is just a huge battleground where exists server proud and ppl fight and have fun at this moment i type my gf plays next to me GW2and even on tier2 servers in prime time you can see queues ... in comparison to ESO chapters is much more healthy and in generall is healthy the GW2 population ... also this weekend they are going to have a major announcement ...

so the author of this post at mmosite is totally inaccurate, yes its economy is a problem but the game is far from dead ...

The game is making like 6million a month in revenue... that's the equivalent of a 400k sub game at 15 dollars a month... which would have been good... 10 years ago...

The game is making like 6million a month in revenue... that's the equivalent of a 400k sub game at 15 dollars a month... which would have been good... 10 years ago...

Depends on their operating costs. Anet is under ncsoft, and those guys don't custard around. If the game was seriously losing money, they'd pull the plug.

Edited by helix

I'd feel sympathy but as it's NCsoft I find it hard to with the way they treated the City of Heroes community/developers.

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

Depends on their operating costs. Anet is under ncsoft, and those guys don't **** around. If the game was seriously losing money, they'd pull the plug.

It's not just about losing money, you can make a profit and still not provide a good enough return on investment to justify it.

Operating costs have gone up over the years... pulling in 400k sub type numbers is not a good thing in 2015... not for a larger studio like anet...

font: http://forum.mmosite.com/thread/2/2/20150121/Guild_Wars_2_Is_Dying_The_Economy_Issue_Proves_it-54bf7f6762c719713-1.html

When talking about Guild Wars 2, many of you guys often said that "does it still exist?" or "Why does it still stay alive?". Sounds cruelly, but it's true that this game is losing plenty of players. Guild Wars 2's economy remains a hot-button issue even two-and-a-half years after its release. I think its broken economy will lead more loyal players to quit. And next, the words below will let us get a further understanding of this issue.

1421836059213.jpg

1421836073140.jpg 

"The loot system of Guild Wars 2 is so abysmal because of the decision to attach nearly everything to the gold standard. Everything can be turned into gold, and acquiring what you want is just a matter of getting the needed gold and going to the trading post. This is a direct consequence of the maxim 'play how you want,'" he writes.

I couldn't even finishing leveling my character in that game, the story line was so cookie cutter 2nd D&D that I felt like at any moment Raistlin 'The sissy" Majere was gona come wheezing onto my screen while muttering under his breath about Caramon.  The little rolling dodge mechanic was good for the first 45 min or so but after that it was a burden to even play.  The only game that has ever been immersive enough with the PvE leveling experience was KOTOR but everything else about that game was horrible.

The leveling in SB ruined PVE for me, it was too convenient to afk for 7 hours and be done with the whole leveling fiasco.  I know that the Dev's wanted more PvE but all it turned into was macro aoe'rs with afk peeps because it was too easy not do it that way. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Basicly this. GW2 is very far from dieing and is doing quite well honestly though its economy i suppose could use a hand but more importantly give us the WvWers some loving Anet QQQ

I don't want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge. I want to play a GAME against PLAYERS, where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose. Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE. Even if i lose, the experience won't feel hollow. I don't want another worthless trophy.

PLAY TO CRUSH

No idea what this guy is talking about...  (hater?)

I played Guild Wars 2 for probably over a year and it was great for me.

I recently stopped but, no problem with GW2 cause I can go back and play again anytime...  no subscription!

Looking forward to Crowfall...

I stopped playing GW2 not because of the economy, but because of the endless quests and realizing how little point there was to WvWvW. Decent game for what it was, but the features just weren't for me. I doubt I could care less about in game economy.

Shadowbane - Aflac 
Advocates of Evil - RIP

Gw2 is an okay game.

What they promised was a revolutionary game. Where your choices mattered. 

What we got was a horrible storyline, too much vertical progression, not enough build diversity, insta teleporting, joke of an AH, grindy ass legendary piece of crap.

Gw1 was ahead of its time. They should take the name of Gw off of that travesty they call a sequel. 

I thought the way GW2 handled their classes and combat was great. It was actually a revolutionary way to handle a combat system, at least in the mainstream.

However, no content was pretty crushing. That's okay if the content you do have is enough to tide people over (territory control, some sort of politics, HARD PVE content like Vanilla Naxx etc)