Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zybane

Crowfall The Savior For Pvp Players?

In a world full of horrid theme-park, dumbed-down, zero consequence and no skill required candy land MMORPG's,

What I would give for an actual PvP game that is challenging, has consequences, rewards skill and fun to play PvP game. 

Will Crowfall be the one?

What do you think of Crowfall and what would you like to see included?

For me it would be:

Death penalty

Item loot

No fast/trivial travel

No in game-maps, actual exploration required

No exclamation points on NPC's

No silly voice acting

No CGI cut scenes

High skill level thresh-hold that separates the skilled from the non-skilled

One large global server

No instances

Robust "open world" type Dungeons

No safe zones - although limited "difficult" NPC guards allowed in certain areas 

Monthly subscription fee - Everyone knows a "real" MMORPG has this

A robust faction system - How did the first real MMORPG EQ1 get this right, and so many others get it so wrong...

I know all of the above is a tall order, but one can dream right?

Edited by zybane

Thanks, for a long time PvP MMORPG player that has tried virtually all MMORPG's in the last 17 years, it's appalling how far they have strayed. We need a game for gamer's, not the drool sporting masses.  

In a world full of horrid theme-park, dumbed-down, zero consequence and no skill required candy land MMORPG's,

What I would give for an actual PvP game that is challenging, has consequences, rewards skill and fun to play PvP game. 

For me it would be:

Death penalty

Item loot

No fast/trivial travel

No silly voice acting

No CGI cut scenes

High skill level thresh-hold that separates the skilled from the non skilled

PvP stats and tracking

One large global server

No instances

No safe zones

PvP stats are a terrible idea that distract from the idea of conflict with political consequences. Look at Planetside 2, which had potential to be a game about capturing and holding territory and fighting for your faction but instead turned into a game about farming the most kills in the most cowardly ways possible to pad your K/D and score per hour.

Edited by recatek

Also challenging PvE.

PvE in mmos these days.......

Q using Dungeon Finder >> waits few minutes >> Gets instant teleported to the dungeon >> Press some buttons >> Get loot >> Ty for the run cya

SOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAAME

NO ONE DIES!?!?!? NO NEED FOR STRATEGY!?!? NO COMMUNICATION!??

First time here? No prob just use your skill rotation over and over.... there you go!!! Here's your epic.

Crowfall team... PLEASE do something about it.... We need dramatic changes in PvE too

I don't think we need stats. A person who has a good k/d doesn't necessarily mean he is good. It could mean he zergs, exploits strong/op strats/specs, or farms his k/d on easy players. Strong players will stand out.

Only "stat" that i think would be fun is one that kept track of the players you have killed or at least those you have killed recently.

Cool list, the main complaint with it is no cgi cutscenes.

I think you should always add an epic cutscene at the end of a raid, WoW and FFXiV are pretty good with their cutscenes and create some really hype moments. Just don't do cutscenes in quests, that sorta cheapens them a bit.

For me it would be:

Death penalty

Item loot

No fast/trivial travel

No silly voice acting

No CGI cut scenes

PvP stats and tracking

One large global server

No instances

No safe zones

Please no, I've done this in Mortal Online. Not as great as people would think. Someone will just make a online map like this anyways http://www.mortalonlinemap.info/ . Rather just have a map in-game then alt tap.

with you so far....

hope so....

For me it would be:

Death penalty

depends...i prefer damage to gear and dropping your Inventory for looting, that's plenty without scaring off folks...but hey, i'm game for whatever...

Item loot

well yeah...

No fast/trivial travel

depends on implementation, the size of the map...but no matter what, it should be VERY limited and Player controlled/implemented (i'm open to placed "Gates" as well)

Fog of War type thing, absolutely, but once "discovered" i should have a map as well as a "blank" worldmap for what "everyone knows" about basic geography

all for it, as long as there is some way to tell them from the swarm of other NPCs, if i had my way, there'd be no "quests" and NPCs woudl just be mobs and shop keepers

No silly voice acting

who cares one way or another?

No CGI cut scenes

see above...

now you get into Design and Balance issues, a lot depends on defining "skilled"

PvP stats and tracking

kill and death lists...what else do you need? fluffy bunnies to points and leaderboards....

One large global server

sure, if it can handle the population...

No instances

i'm with you here...

No safe zones

sorry, i think a "newb island" is needed...and even a few safe Cities out in the world for Marketplace and mid level Players, etc...

with you again...helps keep out the bots and such and removes the hated cash shops (for cosmetiic stuff only if you must)

there's my take on it....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I like your list and I wouldn't mind paying either.  Good production requires funding and I don't want them to run out of funds or have to resort to a cash shop.  I agree with no pvp stats though.  Pvp recognition can result from word of mouth and gear earned by winning fights over resources to get that gear.

Edited by saludeen

Death penalty

like what? if you have loot, why would you need anything artifical, that in the end will most likely be highly annoying

No fast/trivial travel

depends... me personally, I hate riding around for 30 minutes before finding a fight

people will make maps and put them online... waste of a "feature"

PvP stats and tracking

why?

No safe zones

no 100% safe zones, I agree with that.

But there should be guarded zones and maybe a noob island like SB

I agree with the rest :)

A few looks at some of the responses:

I think PvP stats abuse and coward play only affects crappy players. DAoC had a good stat implementation, so does EvE online with Battleclinic. I know plenty of players and guilds in both those games that would utterly destroy in PvP without regard to what the stats page would say.

Challenging PvE: yes, couldn't hurt the game if done right and could add depth. Really, a PvP game in which PvP takes place and contests in and around dungeons and what not ala EQ1 was extremely fun. This requires no instances. Dungeons must be open world.

CGI cut-scenes are lame. If you want to see that dragon roar up and fall over dead, do it inside the game engine and not some crappy CGI video. I play games to play them, not watch videos.

IMO I will stay strong on no-maps. Worked awesome at the beginning of EQ1. It has so many positives. Feeling of exploration, a sense that you must pay attention to where you are going and where you've been, it's a job for explorers to go out and practice cartography. Yes, people will eventually draw maps. Guess what, some people love doing that and spreading/distributing maps adds to a sense of community. Drawing maps is also an art form. I always liked having a paper map printout anyway. Having an in-game map (even one with fog) trivializes exploration, remembering, a sense of awe, community etc. Basically it's just being lazy. 

Safe zones: NONE. There should be certain area's like trade posts that have guards that will attack aggressors etc, but you should never be 100% safe. If someone really wants to risk a lot to kill you, they should be able to. 

For me it would be:

Death penalty

Item loot

No fast/trivial travel

No silly voice acting

No CGI cut scenes

PvP stats and tracking

One large global server

No instances

No safe zones

Good sir, I think you just described EVE haha. But yes we definitely need a fantasy game like this! I've been waiting a long time as well.

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

PvP players need saving?  There are tons of pvp oriented games out right now... mobas are gigantic, lots of pvp survivial games... csgo is growing greatly... WoW broke 10million again... lots of PvP games in development...

Crowfall won't be the "savior" the wiz101 graphics should tell you enough about what kinda pvpers they are going for... but it will be its own thing...

PvP players need saving?  There are tons of pvp oriented games out right now... mobas are gigantic, lots of pvp survivial games... csgo is growing greatly... WoW broke 10million again... lots of PvP games in development...

Crowfall won't be the "savior" the wiz101 graphics should tell you enough about what kinda pvpers they are going for... but it will be its own thing...

Is this post a joke? I'm talking about an MMORPG game and you mention survival games? Counter-strike? WoW is a hilarious joke when it comes to PvP. I cannot believe someone on the Crowfall forum would mention WoW in regards to PvP. :o  

A lot of your list I could take or leave. As long as the game has a fluctuating and captivating political atmosphere a la SB and the same engaging PvP I am sold. 

Oh, and siege warfare ;)

Edited by hlothran

Is this post a joke? I'm talking about an MMORPG game and you mention survival games? Counter-strike? WoW is a hilarious joke when it comes to PvP. I cannot believe someone on the Crowfall forum would mention WoW in regards to PvP. :o  

It's cool to hate on WoW pvp, assuming you yourself were able to prove mastery over it... i mean if you sucked at WoW pvp then you really weren't good enough for it and shouldn't really criticize it like that....

PvP is PvP... and skill translates across genres... I think what you're looking for is pvp that is just hard enough for you to enjoy, but not too hard to where you will get stomped... which isn't what real pvpers look for.