Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meowmix

Why can't we swear on the forum !?

There are a handful of people who have a problem with the forum rules... there are many many many times that in people who don't care about swearing on the forums and would rather just talk about the game.  That's the reality of the situation and the people that have a problem with the rules try to make things out to be much bigger than they actually are...

People have always been allowed to discuss the nature of the forums as long as they did it in a civil way... the problem with the people that you think have been pushed off of the forums is that they weren't able to act like adults, they weren't able to discuss things in a civil way... and some participated in activity intentionally trying to push the limits of the rules to ruffle some feathers... Some thought they were doing it outta some altruistic cause, some were bored, etc etc... 

There are no victims, all you have to do is discuss things in a civil way... if you can't handle that you can't handle that, but that isn't their fault. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL
Moderator edit to remove offensive quoted content.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Science says cursing is healthy and that there is no direct correlation between low intellect and increased use of profanity. On the contrary, it helps bonding and makes you creative.   In one test, they made the participants play competitive games. The more they cursed, the better the game was. If they were forbidden to curse and insult, the game lost it's appeal. Scientists say that insulting and cursing creates authenticity while formal regulations make human relationships and activities very one dimensional and not motivating on the long run.

On the other side, studies show that persons who advocate formal regulations and promote conformity have latent issues with insecurity and lack of self-esteem, seeking guidance and orientation from arbitrary rules, which can go down to the most basic social interactions like verbal communication or visual gestures. They usually seek conformity and group consensus to alleviate angst. Social psychology even suggests the rise of autism cases as a result of over-conformity.

Studies also suggest that people who work at management level tend to justify their actions by artificial standards due to the normative character of business relations along with their personal insecurities resulting in establishing status-quo decisions on all business levels and depraving themselves of employees' valuable feedback.

So, now that we have the facts down, everything else are opinionated fariy tales from the Kingdom of Delusion.

Edited by Qbs

Great posting.

This game will be about conflict and destruction and so it can't live without people who like conflicts and to destruct. They are the base.

Nevertheless, before you can destroy something it has to be built up. Building something needs constructiveness. So i would say we either take part in the building process or we wait until the time for destruction has come. No question that the community building itself already needs conflicts. But meanwhile there is a middle way to be found to make both goals work together for now.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

Science says cursing is healthy and that there is no direct correlation between low intellect and increased use of profanity. On the contrary, it helps bonding and makes you creative.   In one test, they made the participants play competitive games. The more they cursed, the better the game was. If they were forbidden to curse and insult, the game lost it's appeal. Scientists say that insulting and cursing creates authenticity while formal regulations make human relationships and activities very one dimensional and not motivating on the long run.

On the other side, studies show that persons who advocate formal regulations and promote conformity have latent issues with insecurity and lack of self-esteem, seeking guidance and orientation from arbitrary rules, which can go down to the most basic social interactions like verbal communication or visual gestures. They usually seek conformity and group consensus to alleviate angst. Social psychology even suggests the rise of autism cases as a result of over-conformity.

Studies also suggest that people who work at management level tend to justify their actions by artificial standards due to the normative character of business relations along with their personal insecurities resulting in establishing status-quo decisions on all business levels and depraving themselves of employees' valuable feedback.

So, now that we have the facts down, everything else are opinionated fariy tales from the Kingdom of Delusion.

This is what is known as confirmation bias...

The reality of it is cursing can be associated with many different types of behavior...

It can definitely be associated with a lack of vocabulary, that's common sense... if someone doesn't have a strong enough vocabulary they will resort to words they do know in place of words that may be more efficient for certain circumstances.

It's also associated with emotional expression... but here's the thing... emotional responses vs rational responses, which are better for building a game?  You can have all of the emotional responses you want, you can shout at your computer, stomp your feet and you can vent in the comfort of your own home... what you shouldn't do is take emotional responses out on others on the forums, often at the expense of rationality, because you disagree with them or don't like them or whatever.

Cursing is often an expression of frustration and anger, both of which can be associated with aggressive behavior...

ACE has made it very clear, they want the forums to be civil and reasonably respectful...

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

the answer to the OP question is: because this is not Shadowbane.

This is not a f2p game or an emulator

Ace need to preserve the community or they will lose potential costumers so they can't let this forum become something like forumbane or do you want to have here the same level of "toxicity" that we had / have on Shadowbane?

Most of the CF community it is not ready or never will be ready for something like that and CF can't work with 100 players.

Edited by cappaspada

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

This is what is known as confirmation bias...

... said the catholic church to Galileo when he told them the earth isn't flat. I suggest we move this discussion to off-topic in case you want to challenge the moon landing as well in your next post.

Edited by Qbs

Except we are not playing a competitive game...yet. This is the forum where they want us to help build the game and be constructive not play some little political games while we wait.

Would like to see a study were they test actual productivity and constructive feedback not playing games because that would relate to these forums better.

But when the game launches they have already said the rules will be different and bit more lax even in the game as opposed to the forum. So your point is well made when we get into the actual game but again it doesn't really apply to these forums.

So, consider this strawman argument I've build.

No one is asking to turn the forum into a linguistic battleground, neither is anyone suggesting to make swearing part of the creative and feedback process. This whole topic is limited to player interaction within the bounds of actual gameplay (Private Chats, Guild Chats, certain parts of the forum regarding Guilds, Events and so on). Next time you attempt a slippery slope, you should say that the world is going to collapse because someone suggested permadeath. 

... said the catholic church to Galileo when he told them the earth isn't flat. I suggest we move this discussion to off-topic in case you want to challenge the moon landing as well in your next post.

Add hyperbole to the list...

No one is asking to turn the forum into a linguistic battleground, neither is anyone suggesting to make swearing part of the creative and feedback process. This whole topic is limited to player interaction within the bounds of actual gameplay (Private Chats, Guild Chats, certain parts of the forum regarding Guilds, Events and so on). Next time you attempt a slippery slope, you should say that the world is going to collapse because someone suggested permadeath. 

Actually this thread is specifically inquiring as to why people can't swear on the forum.

Add hyperbole to the list...

Actually this thread is specifically inquiring as to why people can't swear on the forum.

I'm not sure about your reading comprehension but my post was adressing parts of the forum as well.

As for your posts in general: It seems to me that most of your posts on this forum generally consist of fasely accusing others of fallacies, while in turn never presenting valid arguments on your own. And if you do, they're as logically coherent as a web spun by a spider on cocaine. So please, refrain from quoting me in the future, because I don't think you're capable of a serious discussion. Thanks.

I'm not sure about your reading comprehension but my post was adressing parts of the forum as well.

As for your posts in general: It seems to me that most of your posts on this forum generally consist of fasely accusing others of fallacies, while in turn never presenting valid arguments on your own. And if you do, they're as logically coherent as a web spun by a spider on cocaine. So please, refrain from quoting me in the future, because I don't think you're capable of a serious discussion. Thanks.

Add ad hominems to the list....

Give me valid arguments and i'll address them... linking uncontrolled and small social experiments and claiming "science says"  isn't really a valid or strong foundation to build an argument upon.

Just saying your little science test results you posted doesn't really apply to this current situation, it will when we are actually playing the game and in the game but not now. That test you posted was about playing a competitive game, not posting constructively and productively on forums.

The topic is about swearing on forums that the Dev has stated they want to be about making the game atm. Show us a test that shows the result of swearing on productivity and constructive discussion and it will be of use to us here.

BTW, a Strawman is when someone argues against a point that you didn't make and acts like they did. So no where in my post did I do that. I simply disagreed that your post has relevance to the current situation.

Show us a test that shows the result of swearing on productivity and constructive discussion and it will be of use to us here.

Here and here. And now?

inb4:

"B-But, I-I-I s-still say otherwise! B-because.. uuuum, the scientist has red hair or smh.. I AM RIGHT! Post more sources so I can claim the opposite while not providing any arguments or facts on my own!! Dad, come over here. There is a guy on a forum, he is so smart. What should I say?

- It's ok fella. Just circle around the topic, eventually he will give up. It's called meta-circle-jerk. Worked when I was playing Counterstrike in my old days, LOLOL".

Yep, pick two articles that prove your point. You sure showed me! Accuses me of strawman then goes ahead and cherry picks, classic. Can defend it all you want its your point but just saying its certainly not as definitive as you are trying to make it out to be.

I'd have to agree with VN here.. Whilst limiting free speech is certainly something the far right conservatives would like to do, and now with the regressive liberals wanting the same thing on University Campuses, its seems only inevitable that we will be forced to think twice before speaking both in forums and in public.

But I see no place for swearing in a constructive setting, and this forum is just that. Its a place where people can have constructive conversations with each-other, and exchange ideas. And for that reason, I will defend the use of the language filter.

Edited by Drasul Roth'ado

Can defend it all you want its your point but just saying its certainly not as definitive as you are trying to make it out to be.

You didn't back up your point even once, neither with arguments or legitimate sources, which makes my posts look like the holy bible in this context. All you do is repeat yourelf since several posts by saying "n-nooo!!". Please, convice us of your argument, or are you going to spam this thread with posts lacking any substance to contribute to either of the arguments?

You didn't back up your point even once, neither with arguments or legitimate sources, which makes my posts look like the holy bible in this context. All you do is repeat yourelf since several posts by saying "n-nooo!!". Please, convice us of your argument, or are you going to spam this thread with posts lacking any substance to contribute to either of the arguments?

My points are my opinions so not sure which science article you think would prove that... My only point was your links don't really have much relevance to this current situation. If you have opinions on the subject then by all means share them but when you try to prove your point by cherry picking articles that only back up your claims then you should expect to get called out on them.

Bottom line posting links to "scientific" findings generally doesn't go ever very well as again it simply leads to cherry picking, which leads to posting counter links that say the opposite which leads to "well my link to a scientific article is more valid then yours" back and forth bs that never ends.  

Also ending a post with "Well here are the facts as I posted them and if you disagree you are just wrong" like you did in that post doesn't go over very well either.