Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meowmix

Why can't we swear on the forum !?

Bottom line posting links to "scientific" findings generally doesn't go ever very well as again it simply leads to cherry picking,

With nihilistic views like that you can't really participate in any discussion as long as it's not exclusively about peoples individual opinions on a topic. Since this is a mmo, not a single player game with mods, we need to discuss and come to terms.

We have the current profanity filter as a result of the early awfulness of these forums. The vibe was so unpleasant that the profanity filter served to lighten the atmosphere by adding silliness to otherwise unfunny arguments. It's still funny, actually. And somehow the filter became a part of the thing we do here; some of us even use the filter as a game of sorts. 

Look at it this way, a poster can still vent and rant, but the profanity magically transforms a negative post into a possibly funny post, thereby lightening the mood. 

I even swear in CF filter-ese irl these days:

x stubs toe x

CUSTARD! POORLY MADE SOCKS! GOD DAMN IT! MOTHERCUSTARD, that hurt! 

Also, I make a better verbal model for my sons, lolz. 

Anyway, it's no big deal. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

I don't see how curse words take away from a discussion. It's probably somewhat cultural though, as I grew up in Pennsylvania/New Jersey and people cursed plenty in public, whereas the time I spent in Mississippi I rarely heard any. People in the south are also known for being less intelligent too though, hmm.

I do dislike that the filter changes the words to other words though, $%^#$ or ***** is standard and makes much more sense to me. I can imagine someone new coming onto the forums and seeing "poorly made socks" all over the place and wondering WTF is wrong with all the morons on here. The current filter actually makes the posts look weird.

Never mind that being offended by curse words, or attaching any emotional context to words, is a sign of immaturity.

gCWxS8u.jpg

Nobody's stopping you from *&^%*&^% and #$%^#^% all you *** **** want, if that's what you %$$%*& prefer...

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I don't see how curse words take away from a discussion. It's probably somewhat cultural though, as I grew up in Pennsylvania/New Jersey and people cursed plenty in public, whereas the time I spent in Mississippi I rarely heard any. People in the south are also known for being less intelligent too though, hmm.

I do dislike that the filter changes the words to other words though, $%^#$ or ***** is standard and makes much more sense to me. I can imagine someone new coming onto the forums and seeing "poorly made socks" all over the place and wondering WTF is wrong with all the morons on here. The current filter actually makes the posts look weird.

Never mind that being offended by curse words, or attaching any emotional context to words, is a sign of immaturity.

It looks like you're very prejudiced.

Actually, this stereotype has been proven false.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

Noobs cried, mods died, CheckYoTrack lied, and then forum censorship was nigh. 

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

hello

has the goalposts been moved forward on this

any compromise on what we can say or cant

or are u still whining

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Nope... they've made it abundantly clear where their priorities are right now, while reminding people that in-game rules will be a little different. 

I would disagree whole ******* heartedly. PVP is just exactly that, smashing people's faces in and hurting little crybaby wannabe pvpers feelies.

Well first because it is an official forum which represents the company in some way. If a dog does his business right at the entrance of an hotel, the hotel is forced to clean it up. I mean I wouldn't go into a hotel which things like this right at the entrance.  

May be an absurd example and yes, the hotel can be beautiful inside however the first impression is important, right

I'm not sure how the forum policy will be when the game goes live but I'm sure there are discussion about it so I won't go into that detail either. 

Also I wouldn't mind swearing but it also leads to misunderstandings, flame wars, etc. and to be honest at this point the forum is more important than the ability to swear. 

Not really. 

Cussing while eating at Chick Filet has no bearing on people realizing it is a Christian owned and ran business so customers on this forums that cuss has no direct correlation for the game or its development. Flawed line of thought is flawed.  I respect your right not to cuss, I also respect my right to express myself how I choose too. It has also been proven that people with extremely large and vibrant vocabularies tend to cuss alot as well. So much for other flawed theories on intelligence and cussing.

Add ad hominems to the list....

Give me valid arguments and i'll address them... linking uncontrolled and small social experiments and claiming "science says"  isn't really a valid or strong foundation to build an argument upon.

I bet he supports Global Warming too!

I don't neccissarily see how vulgarity can contribute to anything.  As for those who argue it should be allowed due to a PvP game, well all the more fool it makes you look when you bark loudly at someone like a rabid dog only to be put down as quickly when push comes to shove.  Then you get laughed at for being all bark and no bite.  I find the people who often yell the loudest in games tend to end up being the worst at them.  So, one could look at the positive side, it protects you from feeling the urge to get salty, maybe?

Ok, now I've dealt with the salty, I can move on to people who have legitimate complaints which usually revolve around them being adults and we being adults.  I honestly don't see the excuse as being relevant because how does adding colourful language add punch to a point if said point is flippant and opinionated without any contributing factors?  An intelligent opinion can be given without the requirement to add said colourful language, no? 

Not to mention the developers decided to add filters on professional grounds for some reason, maybe children and concerned conservative parents visit the forums.  *shrug*

Another forum I frequent allows swearing, the developers and moderators there don't care at all.  But, want to know something interesting about those forums?  No one cusses all the time on there for absolutely no other reason except to cuss?  The only time people do is to convey rage, which is seldom.

So there may be the possibility their decision had more to do with people's pretence to drag their petty guild drama on to the forums as well as their petty PvEr hate onto the forums.  Maybe the choice was made because people have a tendency to be rude and immature with pointless 1st world problems?

Please ...

I've played plenty of hardcore games, don't give me this garbage, I know it's all drama and politically motivated.  And for what?  The game isn't even out yet, so they drag their garbage from other games into this.  Come on ...

Edited by Psyctooth

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

*whole thing*

Poetry.  I have a sailor's mouth in life, when the audience is right, but that serves no purpose here.  I come to these forums to research tactics, to check out meaningful ideas and contribute where appropriate (because that is essentially what forums are supposed to be for). If this rule means that even 1 more person with good ideas feels more comfortable to post them on these forums, then it is a good rule in my book.

Speaking personally, I like a bit of civilized moderation on a forum. Plus if the developers want this game to appeal to all age groups it's in their interest not to have a community forums filled with profanity.  I never liked the Darkfall forums for this reason (no offense to any DF forum fans).  You don't need profanity to get a point across ^_^

Noobs cried, mods died, CheckYoTrack lied, and then forum censorship was nigh. 

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg