Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Life in the EK

Lemonsquid

Have the devs made any mention of what will be in the EK besides you and your guildmates? I thought it would be interesting if you had actual npcs walking around going about daily life all thanks to your courage on the battlefield of the other worlds. The more successful you are at bringing in loot and winning campaigns further improves the quality of life and the number of peoples in your land. And naturally if you are failing and have been failing for quite sometime your lands seem poor and desolate full of pestilence and disease. To me this would be the best of both worlds. People that care for the EK will have more reason and a larger cause to fight for these resources for the sake of their people(unless your an evil lord of sorts, but you still need lots of people to torture!). To me this brings back the the "Town View" feeling we had in Rome total war. It was nice just to watch those extremely dumb npcs stroll through this magnificent town i had been improving and I did it for them. Only for it to be stripped away from us but later returned :)

Thoughts?

well there will be thralls to begin with which will act as NPCs in your kingdom (see https://crowfall.com/#/faq/thralls) 

Indeed it would be nice to have more NPC activity depending on your success and kingdom's popularity but to be honest there are big developers developers which create large cities and can't bring them to life so I don't really expect that from a small dev. team. 

As said thralls will do their jobs to a point (Maybe guards may have set patrolling routes, etc. ) Something to the scale of BD (which seems to have at least some towns which are really lively - can't say that for sure) or anything would be too much effort to this point. Maybe in the future 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

GW "The more you tell people about your game the easier they find something to not like"

I can agree with that. Its just something that would definitely add to the game and provide more emphasis on the PVP. 

Edited by Lemonsquid

Replace NPC with real player like traders, duelist and crafter and that is a social hub EK pretty much.

You will need resources from the CW to build stuff anyway in your EK so that is covered too. 

The biggest reason why ACE is building a player driven game is that they can't afford years in development to create big world or masses of NPC's.

So I see it as unlikely (and unfitting tbh) that there will be a non-player-character population in your EK for no other reason then displaying your fortune.

We already have trophies after all.

I AM ME!
I love you all.

I would rather focus on building an EK together with a few friends. Maybe it would attract other players if we have a lot of houses etc... this would indeed make the kingdom feel more "alive".

But hey sure... if you dont wont any other player on your server I guess your idea is the alternative.

Replace NPC with real player like traders, duelist and crafter and that is a social hub EK pretty much.

You will need resources from the CW to build stuff anyway in your EK so that is covered too. 

The biggest reason why ACE is building a player driven game is that they can't afford years in development to create big world or masses of NPC's.

So I see it as unlikely (and unfitting tbh) that there will be a non-player-character population in your EK for no other reason then displaying your fortune.

We already have trophies after all.

Honestly, I like the direction ACE has chosen. If they can get all the features they have promised to date, this is going to be an amazing game. One observation on EKs. They really remind me of SWG player run cities. They only had a few NPCs they used a vendors for trade. The rest were REAL players. If you had a well run city in the game, it was a lot of fun and other players from all over the server would come and check things out, spend credits, and trade with local merchants.

SWG_ScreenShot0002.jpg

star-wars-galaxies.jpg

screenshot0080.jpg

Edited by Gorath

Cp0geLN.png

A division of Gorath Industries, LLC

That looks amazing :)!!

At one time, SWG was the single most amazing game ever made (for me, at least). This was a game where ALL the content was created by a community of players who loved the game. You could be nearly anything in the game with 32 Class Professions (Many weren't even combat professions). You had persistent, open world Player Housing/Cities with NPC vendors to tend your shops. Even when Jedi were brought into the game, the PVP was still insanely fun.

However, SONY wanted 10 Million Subs instead of the solid 2 Million SWG had. That wanted WOW numbers, so they made a lot of changes players hated, and eventually, everyone left the game. (at least all of my friends). They tried to make the game more like WOW. They brought in these stupid Theme Parks, and it just turned out to be awful. I'm not saying the game didn't suffer from bugs and balance issues, but it was fun and the community was awesome. 

That said, when I heard the producers/designers of SWG (Walton, Koster and Thomas "Blixtev") were making this game, I had to check it out. I really hope they can bring the best parts of SWG to CF:) 

gcw_invasion.jpg

Star-Wars-Galaxies.jpg

122.jpg

Cp0geLN.png

The thing is, SWG could support more players taking these trader/shopkeeper roles as they had fewer servers and finite space, which naturally corralled players to closer proximity with each other to interact more frequently and meaningfully. Here, there are going to be hundreds, if not thousands of EKs, not to mention that most player's time in-game will be in the CWs anyways, and they also have other things to do away from Crowfall too (shocking, I know). So there may be more people playing Crowfall, that population is going to be incredibly spread out between 3 levels of CW's, AFK, and the EK (where there is shockingly little to do).

So sure, you can say that it'll all be player driven all you like, but whether it will be populated is probably a better question. The biggest guilds might have 5 or 10 people in their EK at a time (when they're not in the CW trying to gather resources or score kills), but I'm predicting the EK's will be ghost towns (maybe literally, depending on how Thralls work/act), comparable to Darnassus or Silvermoon City from WoW, only without NPC's to bother.

Edited by RKNM

So sure, you can say that it'll all be player driven all you like, but whether it will be populated is probably a better question. The biggest guilds might have 5 or 10 people in their EK (when they're not in the CW trying to gather resources or score kills), but I'm predicting the EK's will be ghost towns (maybe literally, depending on how Thralls work/act), comparable to Darnassus or Silvermoon City from WoW, only without NPC's to bother.

And this is where some of us have the view of things shaking out. Players like to go where other players are. So while CF players will have access to 1000s of EK there will a few highly populated ones. Thus more people will move, visit, explore, or just hangout in these.

Now it won't be the same as it was in SWG because they are two different games. Like mentioned above SWG supported several non-combat skills and roles. But CF is allowing us lots of freedom to craft EKs in size, shape, layout, and type which will naturally bring in players...because players are social creatures.

And this is where some of us have the view of things shaking out. Players like to go where other players are. So while CF players will have access to 1000s of EK there will a few highly populated ones. Thus more people will move, visit, explore, or just hangout in these.

Now it won't be the same as it was in SWG because they are two different games. Like mentioned above SWG supported several non-combat skills and roles. But CF is allowing us lots of freedom to craft EKs in size, shape, layout, and type which will naturally bring in players...because players are social creatures.

I see this as dangerous as well. Because this is a player driven economy, what's to stop these guilds from becoming overpowered? Most of the cash flow will be going to these few guilds, which completely focuses power to and influence. So no matter who wins the CW, the mega-guilds come out on top, and with mega-guilds come mega-zergs. I'd say this is a major unnattractive quality for any game. So now it's become a vicious cycle in which smaller guilds only get weaker and stronger guilds only get stronger.

I say instead the devs should try to keep the player population without creating too much bloat (as I'm sure managing and saving all those EKs must take a lot of resources and space) and just create a finite number of EKs, maybe one for each god and have a an excessive amount of entry/ exit portals for guilds to build around. This puts guilds closer together to encourage interaction or competition, focuses the population to one server, makes it easier to show off and visit other guilds, reduces the amount of spacial bloat (I mean, cmon...no one needs THAT much land), encourages interaction and allows greater exposure to the population and community, all without funneling players to a single server where they are exposed to one guild. After all, it worked similarly with SWG, where every player they could build and modify on a single persistent world and server. Don't know how it would work on the dev side, but my guess is that it would be easier to balance 3 (per faction) or 12 (per god) worlds than thousands. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by RKNM

I see this as dangerous as well. Because this is a player driven economy, what's to stop these guilds from becoming overpowered? Most of the cash flow will be going to these few guilds, which completely focuses power to and influence. So no matter who wins the CW, the mega-guilds come out on top, and with mega-guilds come mega-zergs. I'd say this is a major unnattractive quality for any game. So now it's become a vicious cycle in which smaller guilds only get weaker and stronger guilds only get stronger.

I say instead the devs should try to keep the player population without creating too much bloat (as I'm sure managing and saving all those EKs must take a lot of resources and space) and just create a finite number of EKs, maybe one for each god and have a an excessive amount of entry/ exit portals for guilds to build around. This puts guilds closer together to encourage interaction or competition, focuses the population to one server, makes it easier to show off and visit other guilds, reduces the amount of spacial bloat (I mean, cmon...no one needs THAT much land), encourages interaction and allows greater exposure to the population and community, all without funneling players to a single server where they are exposed to one guild. After all, it worked similarly with SWG, where every player they could build and modify on a single persistent world and server. Don't know how it would work on the dev side, but my guess is that it would be easier to balance 3 (per faction) or 12 (per god) worlds than thousands. Just my 2 cents.

So, I need to understand something. Are they saying that individual EKs will be the ONLY place a player can buy or sell items? Because I was thinking they were going to base the economic model off of EVE Online? Are they saying that ALL trade will happen "face to face" or at your EK "shop or store"? I'm not clear on this.

Edited by Gorath

Cp0geLN.png

So, I need to understand something. Are they saying that individual EKs will be the ONLY place a player can buy or sell items? Because I was thinking they were going to base the economic model off of EVE Online? Are they saying that ALL trade will happen "face to face" or at your EK "shop or store"? I'm not clear on this.

Tbh, actual shopping is still unclear, but they have stated that everything you can do in the EKs will be available in the CW's as well, so you can shop and trade in the CW's. Honestly the three differences between the EK and CW is that: 1. You can rearrange the geography. 2. You can't destroy in the EK (barring certain things, but the bottom line is the the EK is to remain largely "intact". And 3. The EK isn't consumed by the hunger.

The system is still in the air and we're not really sure how it'll work, but for the most part they've indicated that they're tryig to pursue the EVE model, so I'm guessing that means face to face (or face to thrall...)

Edited by RKNM

Have the devs made any mention of what will be in the EK besides you and your guildmates?

I'm not sure, but this is what I have thought about the first time I've read about Eternal Kingdoms.

I'm quite sure there are going to be those who spend 90% of their time in the eks, and that's ok.

Save space in the campaigns that want to be there so there's some decent competition in there.

9e58b2ae2f9ac9f2904b5d4c33b609bb92d1a174

"Sharp alone, deadly together."

• 4 weeks later...