Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ObsLoD

Das Tal: Dont sleep on this game

Viking did you play the latest test(which is a 7 day persistent world)? Its not just a combat tech demo anymore. There are plenty of MMO elements now. Base building, gear progression, random spawning objective points with resources, mobs that have real AI, sieges, raiding people trying to craft etc. It looks like most of your commentary is relevant to older versions of the game, and predictions of what their future game looks like. Im just showing you where they are at today, with the video, and telling you its fun as hell to play.

www.twitch.tv/obslod  |  www.youtube.com/obslod  | www.lordsofdeath.com

Jackdaw is correct, we have roughly spent 1% of the budget that Crowfall has. There is no point denying that. The one good thing about it is that it forces us to focus n what is really important. The core combat system (step 1) and now GvG & clan mechanics. Yes, that means fewer fancy animations and less fluff for now. But those things can be ramped up at a later point. Whereas once your core game implementation is broken that cannot be fixed anymore.

And custard yeah, I played a ton of small-scale PvP yesterday and took part in one siege (as a healer / CCer) - it was simply the best.  

Alex. Survior of all three Shadowbane Betas. Lead Designer of Das Tal.

Jackdaw is correct, we have roughly spent 1% of the budget that Crowfall has. There is no point denying that. The one good thing about it is that it forces us to focus n what is really important. The core combat system (step 1) and now GvG & clan mechanics. Yes, that means fewer fancy animations and less fluff for now. But those things can be ramped up at a later point. Whereas once your core game implementation is broken that cannot be fixed anymore.

And custard yeah, I played a ton of small-scale PvP yesterday and took part in one siege (as a healer / CCer) - it was simply the best.  

Hey man i'm cheering for you, I love the ideas of the game and the type of combat you are going for... I just don't think with your budget it can be done smoothly... but i'd be happy if i was dead wrong.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Hey man i'm cheering for you, I love the ideas of the game and the type of combat you are going for... I just don't think with your budget it can be done smoothly... but i'd be happy if i was dead wrong.

We'll try our hardest to prove you wrong. =D Also: Join our forums and alpha and see for yourself. I promise to not gank you too often. =P

How is the ping.  The servers are located in Germany right?  I'd like to play as a solo player/rpk too.  The price is pretty cheap and I need something to play.

There is an east coast US server and a EU server running right now. Pings never really been an issue, but there are some de-sync issues once in a while.

www.twitch.tv/obslod  |  www.youtube.com/obslod  | www.lordsofdeath.com

We'll try our hardest to prove you wrong. =D Also: Join our forums and alpha and see for yourself. I promise to not gank you too often. =P

It doesn't change my opinion about the state of the game but I must say your attitude towards all of this is very promising.  :)

If I would teach them Bankai it would be an easy task.

I guess Albion Online just came at the same time, a bit earlier, with maybe more capital, and much better marketing, which resulted in much attention.

But again, in my opinion that doesnt make it automatically the better game or such.

Being in broad terms similar to this game, its not easy to gain a vast amount of listeners.

But to think there would be a time where american and eastern MMOs are so underwhelming and boring, that there would be 2 not too much uninteresting MMOs from germany... .

I guess the MMO genre, or better said gaming industry, really reached at a new all time low point by now.

Well from here on it only goes upwards, I hope, with Indie-MMOs!

So congratulation?!

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Hmm.  I might pick it up tonight.  It's only 67$ to start playing now and considering we are in the dark ages of pvp that's nothing. 

AO is a fun concept, but extremely poor in execution.  The combat is mediocre and all the halfway risky nonsense rules really ruin it.

considering we are in the dark ages of pvp

The dark ages of PvP? We have CF, AO, SO, PFO, BD, AA and a plethora of other Sandboxes that have been announced or launched since we started working full-time on DT. We have dozens of freeshards for SB, UO & DAoC. DFO and EVE have been running for (close to) a decade. Plus theres a gajillion of MOBAs and other great (if not very substantial) fast-paced PvP games out there for the quick fix of PvP. I'd say we are living in the golden days of online PvP. In the two minutes that I have open for playing games every week I cannot even decide which one to choose this time. =D

I started seriously thinking about Das Tal somewhere around 2008-2009, when Shadowbane was close to being cancelled. Everybody and their mom thought that WoW was the only MMO model out there and that we'd be stuck in battlegrounds and arenad with TAB-target combat forever. Those were the really dark ages.

/rant =D

@valor You'll get a reply very soon.

Edited by dbltnk

It is the dark ages of mmo pvp... i mean sure there are a lot of promising projects but they aren't available and good unless they are available and good, every single one could turn out to be a flop for all we know. 

Its the dark age of gaming in general.

The gaming industry has become something totally awkward, not worth of any support.

Crowfall isnt released yet. so the dark age isnt over yet. It could still fail, so dont take anything for to be a given thing already.

What the german guy describes as dark age wasnt a dark age. It was just the earlier time after WoW.

You have to consider the development in technology and gaming as a whole to be able to make out a dark age.

And the development for gaming is a very negative one in every genre and aspect.

When Wildstar and TESO couldnt convince the dark age was clearly to be seen by every last one. And both dont use tab-targetting as well.

The capitalism has failed totally big times, in gaming the same as in society itself.

The capitalistic companys dont have what it takes to make an MMO, that is for sure by now. Because they are wrong people.

The future of MMO-gaming, if there should be one existing, is lying for sure within the Indie-MMOs.

Edited by Urahara

Its the dark age of gaming in general.

The gaming industry has become something totally awkward, not worth of any support.

Crowfall isnt released yet. so the dark age isnt over yet. It could still fail, so dont take anything for to be a given thing already.

I disagree, there are alot of poorly made socksty games, but there are also quite alot of legandary games if you know where to look.  Witcher and Metro series were very good, fallout and tes series do not provide as epic experiance but they provide a very long experiance with very high quality content thanks to modding, in RTS scene Starcraft 2 is pretty much the only game, however its very fun to play in ladder, a bit unbalanced but skill is what truly matters. Some singleplayer games with very good experiance such as dragon age inquisition , continuing series that are quite fun aswell, they are usually basically remake of each other but as long as they have good story, no one really minds, Far Cry series.

And in the other hand there are endless indie games, mark of the ninja , superhot , ark and whatnot. Also upcoming Mount and Blade bannerlord.  There was also shadow of mordor which was pretty fun to play, nothing legandary but very well polish overall.

Online gaming is a diffrent thing however, and i can see why it fails so horribly hard, they are so blinded by the amount of money blizzard could make out of WoW they are trying to achieve the same thing patheticly, the issue is that they are not blizzard and they cannot do what blizzard can do. They need to go innovative and come up with new ideas for MMO's , they need to realize that many of the decisions that were made during development of WoW were made out of hardware's incapacity to provide support for advanced software. But yeah, old blizzard is gone unfortunately.

Edit: i missed dark souls series

Edited by Eren

Well, I have been an incredible huge supporter of videogames in the past, but when I now found finally my longtime online game, I will stop from doing so, mostly because I find the people in the gaming industry nowadays to be really disgusting, boring, uncreative, and not support worthy.

Edited by Urahara

There is a reason for Crowfall to exist just because there is nothing like Crowfall out there, just because its the dark age of gaming.

The gaming industry was never more far away from the customers. its disgusting.