Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

ACE Q&A for November - Official discussion thread

I forgot to mention, you'd have a lot less problem with water if you made it hazardous. You can make it so there's very little freedom of motion and attack options in water as your preoccupied with swimming, and even simply drown if your heavily armored.

Making water a natural hazard would reduce the need to make combat animations and simply focus on pedaling, diving, a limited number of slashes or grabs for specific archetypes, and general avoidance for many archetypes and equipment load outs.

This would also allow a few classes special advantages for being lightly armed as they could swim away or survive going overboard. It doesn't necessarily eliminate the production of water animation since most characters are able to swim while unarmored, but the general limitation of pedaling and minimized offensive actions in water could reduce investment significantly.

Moats don't work if everyone is Aquaman.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Portals won't undermine caravans.  if we add them, they will be a strategic resource that you can capture for specific (and very limited) point-to-point troop movement. 

We are very mindful of the purposes of caravans; resource capture and transport is a key element of the strategy game.  That hasn't changed.

Todd

ACE

I'm glad to hear that, thanks! )

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

I'm guessing portals will work like Runegates in Shadowbane, which seems to be the case based on Todd's explanation.

http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Runegate

If you need to get across an ocean, or somewhere on the other side of the continent, a runegate will help.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Oh no, the combat test is soon?  But I already have to juggle Fallout 4 and LOTV, not to mention actual homework.  This is a terrible November.

"More combat...", yesssss!

I liked the quick lesson on the "water combat is not worth the effort".  I don't even like water to begin with, so this is a huge bonus.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

I liked the quick lesson on the "water combat is not worth the effort".  I don't even like water to begin with, so this is a huge bonus.

I do. I drink it everyday. In fact, I'm so addicted to water I don't think I could live without it. ;)

Anyway, I agree that Artcraft shouldn't spend too much time on water combat. Although, I think having the basic ability to swim at launch should be included, even if one can't use abilities while swimming. It would make rivers and lakes an interesting terrain feature from a strategic and tactical perspective.

Edited by Raizex

Speaking of archers....is it possible for archetypes to take up disciplines that let them use other weapons to become ranged, or maybe take disadvantages for more weapon options? Tying to figure out what the legionnaire can wield.

17343590994_cbb5af0d1c_b.jpg

Fight for the Fallen Lady- keep her sanctum open to all. Join the Gaean Remnant. [RP]

Speaking of archers....is it possible for archetypes to take up disciplines that let them use other weapons to become ranged, or maybe take disadvantages for more weapon options? Tying to figure out what the legionnaire can wield.

Right now we don't know which archetypes will have access to which weapons/disciplines. An Archer discipline has been mentioned, however, so it's possible.

Formation : I agree with the decision to not have this kind of artificial positioning system. Formations should occur naturally, depending on the terrain, the composition of the groups, the physics and the different tactics, and the team with the best positioning will naturally gets an advantage.

Terrain destruction : I think that having the ability to destroy the environment would be fun, but extremely costly in terms of resources and time to implement, while at the same time compromising performances during PvP. In my opinion, large scale PvP should be prioritized over terrain destruction.

Burrow : As per above, it could be extremely fun to have players make pitfalls and tunnels everywhere, but I prefer the team to put their efforts on making a good throne war simulator, and I think that tunnels aren't required for that. Allowing the duelists to dig and hide underground (animation) is fine imo.

Portals between worlds : I find this one very very important, it's something that gets players a lot more immersed than menus. I would prefer to have everything working with portals rather than menus : joining a CW from EK, CW to EK travels, EKs to EK... Even the character selection could be more immersive using portals.

Teleport in campaigns : the less the better for me, designing the worlds in ways that we need no teleport at all would be ideal. Those are the dying worlds and only portals to get to our EK or possibly other CW should exist. I think fast travel kills a lot of great things.

Animations : this is the field that I think Crowfall would benefit the most among what was discussed in the Q&A. Animations are one of the reasons that make the players feel "free" when controlling a character. If the character can move backward, laterally, jump, roll and swim, it helps with that. If the character can only jump once every 15 seconds and it's only possible to run forward, it breaks this feeling for me and I feel crippled.

My suggestions would be 1) to disable terrain destruction everywhere but very close to the structures to allow tunneling *edit* OR scrap VF altogether since using it only to assemble tiles and get realistic wall destruction just isn't worth it imo, 2) have portals to connect EKs, CWs to EKs, character selection but not in the campaigns (only a few to return to EKs), 3) get extra movement animations for all the archetypes (not necessarily swimming, but at least backward / lateral and maybe rolls), 4) basic rafts and bridges to cross rivers, if we fall in water we die (water is corrupted by the Hunger). It's simplistic enough so happily I'm not designing the game.  :P

Edited by courant101

Formation : I agree with the decision to not have this kind of artificial positioning system. Formations should occur naturally, depending on the terrain, the composition of the groups, the physics and the different tactics, and the team with the best positioning will naturally gets an advantage.

Terrain destruction : I think that having the ability to destroy the environment would be fun, but extremely costly in terms of resources and time to implement, while at the same time compromising performances during PvP. In my opinion, large scale PvP should be prioritized over terrain destruction.

Burrow : As per above, it could be extremely fun to have players make pitfalls and tunnels everywhere, but I prefer the team to put their efforts on making a good throne war simulator, and I think that tunnels aren't required for that. Allowing the duelists to dig and hide underground (animation) is fine imo.

Portals between worlds : I find this one very very important, it's something that gets players a lot more immersed than menus. I would prefer to have everything working with portals rather than menus : joining a CW from EK, CW to EK travels, EKs to EK... Even the character selection could be more immersive using portals.

Teleport in campaigns : the less the better for me, designing the worlds in ways that we need no teleport at all would be ideal. Those are the dying worlds and only portals to get to our EK or possibly other CW should exist. I think fast travel kills a lot of great things.

Animations : this is the field that I think Crowfall would benefit the most among what was discussed in the Q&A. Animations are one of the reasons that make the players feel "free" when controlling a character. If the character can move backward, laterally, jump, roll and swim, it helps with that. If the character can only jump once every 15 seconds and it's only possible to run forward, it breaks this feeling for me and I feel crippled.

My suggestions would be 1) to disallow terrain destruction everywhere but very close to the structures to allow tunneling OR scrap VF altogether since using it only to assemble tiles and get realistic wall destruction just isn't worth it imo, 2) have portals to connect EKs, CWs to EKs, character selection but not in the campaigns (only a few to return to EKs), 3) get extra movement animations for all the archetypes (not necessarily swimming, but at least backward / lateral and maybe rolls), 4) basic rafts and bridges to cross rivers, if we fall in water we die (water is corrupted by the Hunger). It's simplistic enough so happily I'm not designing the game.  :P

I would like to see tunneling more wide spread than just close to structures ,but that is something that can wait until after the game launches. The core mechanics will already be part of the game so when time and resources come available it can be looked at again if enough of the community thinks it is important.

Edited by Otto

"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers".

On 6/9/2015 at 3:44 PM, Tyrant said:

I would like to see tunneling more wide spread than just close to structures ,but that is something that can wait until after the game launches. The core mechanics will already be part of the game so when time and resources come available it can be look at again if enough of the community thinks it is important.

I agree, as long as the core mechanics are part of the game at launch, additional features and systems based those mechanics can be released after.

Hopefully portals are very rare and very limited in where they can send you...

My thoughts exactly teleporting everywhere, all the time is the quickest way to break immersion. make me have to ride through that dangerous stretch of forest between the POI and the main Keep