Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mythx

Weather effects and Arrows in Crowfall

We need a great dynamic weather system with different visibility in the campaign maps involving large scale combat with night/day cycles, but not too dark.. Although with heavy rain for instance similar to the H1z1 weather effects which is beautiful in that game!
Weather effects is an important aspect with different strategies in mind. You have different strategies in siege combat which is large scale combat event in Crowfall, and when to engage and launch a huge scale attack with allies involved at dawn or early morning for instance.

It was mentioned in the KS - that`s why I created the topic about it here. So hopefully ACE is working on it as well even though they focus on combat, but visibility is important aspect of it in my opinion. Arrows have a normal range like projectiles in real life up to 450+ yards.
I`m concerned about range combat in Crowfall at the moment, but it can be an under topic based on range combat vs. melee combat and different archetypes key roles on the battlefield.

Quote from http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/medieval-weapons/longbow.htm

Description of the Medieval Longbow
The following description of the Medieval Longbow provides basic facts and information about the weapon:

• The length of the Medieval Longbow therefore ranged considerably in size from 6 - 7 feet in length
  • The majority of Longbows were made from yew but ash, hazel and elm were also used
  • The bow stave was shaped into a D-section from a half cross section of a tree or branch
  • A skilled longbow man could release between 10 - 12 arrows per minute
  • The Medieval Longbow could also pierce the armor of a knight at ranges of more than 250 yards
  • The weapon was particularly effective against opponents wearing plate armor
  • Type or group of weapons - Ranged Weapon which caused a projectile to leave the soldier and  strike a target

Quote end.

And some thoughts; is it possible to fire a bow from a horse? 
..so many questions!  ^_^
Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Let's not let reality creep into a video game too much now. :D

What, Skyrim game from 2011 have a decent range combat system. 

I hope T. Blair have consider range combat in Crowfall with other games in mind as well.

I would really enjoy normal projectile ranges in CF to be honest.

If I remember correctly from the Darkfall game - it had a similar range combat system.  :)

MQfHl7c.png

We would've won, but we brought our Stalker spec and then it rained.T

That is why you bring 2 strings.  The second you keep under your hat.   In bad weather you dont even keep a longbow strung.  It only take a few moments to string a bow, if someone is that close you would be using a sword instead.

What, Skyrim game from 2011 have a decent range combat system.

I hope T. Blair have consider range combat in Crowfall with other games in mind as well.

I would really enjoy normal projectile ranges in CF to be honest.

If I remember correctly from the Darkfall game - it had a similar range combat system. :)

Skyrim was an enormous SINGLE player game done by Bethesda with 100 team members and an 85 million dollar budget and it wasn't even an MMO!! Compare that to AC's 24 team members and let's say generous 8 million dollar budget... This is not real life, should we take all the magic classes out because magic isn't real? Stop wanting hyper realism its not going to happen Edited by wargasmo

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

We need a great dynamic weather system with different visibility in the campaign maps involving large scale combat with night/day cycles, but not too dark.. Although with heavy rain for instance similar to the H1z1 weather effects which is beautiful in that game!
Weather effects is an important aspect with different strategies in mind. You have different strategies in siege combat which is large scale combat event in Crowfall, and when to engage and launch a huge scale attack with allies involved at dawn or early morning for instance.

It was mentioned in the KS - that`s why I created the topic about it here. So hopefully ACE is working on it as well even though they focus on combat, but visibility is important aspect of it

The weather will most likely be of cosmetic nature. Otherwise you'd have to explain to hundreds of players from a sieging alliance why they can't begin to siege due to random weather, although they or the defender have chosen and planned the window of time since days/weeks for the siege system to make their "castle" vulnerable in that specific time frame. Imagine the threads: "We won the campaign because there was random fog/rain flood/snow of doom. Damn we're a bunch of pros!"

This is not a medieval simulator, despite physics or voxels being present in the game.

Edited by Qbs

Darkfall had only cosmetic weather and it didn't have any real effect on combat. Sieges happened in rain, snow, in the day and the night. 

If you want hyper realism, forget about weather. I want to poop in-game and there should be toilets ready for me. Lets make this happen.

#poopfall2016 #pooplivesmatter

aka honeybear

I would love to see weather affects in game especialy those that alters the gameplay to a degree even if it just heavy rain limits visual range and so on maybe certain terain in rain would prevent the use of seige equipment on due to not being able to hold the weight or slow movement down because its turns into a mud or swamp during heavy rain strorms.
I would also like to see an verying degree of severity of weather for example light rain all the way to Strong storms/blizzards and things. Sandstorms would be nice to see too aswell

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Great stuff, but all of that armor punching stuff is fantasy.

A long bow can shot far, and it can barely punch knight armor, but it can't do both, you have to be at minimum firing range to get through real plate armor, barely.

And nothing is super effective against plate, it offers superior protection to all other armors of the period, especially when arranged with the proper cloth and pad layers.

Ppl need to stop shooting tin cans shaped like breastplates and pretending they defeated medieval armor.

Might as well post another Lars Anderson Vid too with these myths...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Skyrim was an enormous SINGLE player game done by Bethesda with 100 team members and an 85 million dollar budget and it wasn't even an MMO!! Compare that to AC's 24 team members and let's say generous 8 million dollar budget... This is not real life, should we take all the magic classes out because magic isn't real? Stop wanting hyper realism its not going to happen

Yeah u need a 85 million dollar budget to even get the bow range accurate in a fantasy medieval castle siege game, right. 

My point is that 50 meters pew pew on a bow user archetypes are not accurate at all. It`s hard to hit a moving targets at 250 yards with a bow - I know that, because I played it in a game named H1Z1! )

They had about same team size as ACE in the beginning - so stupid argument..

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

We talked about this topic for over 2 hours in #slack some days ago - and the typical small combat scale in moba is worthless in an open sandbox PvP games like CF. And if the range is too short - melee archetypes like the champion and knights will dominate the battlefield for sure.

Hopefully ACE figure it out, because that balance between melee vs range is important especially in large scale siege events.

Maybe ACE will use bow towers on the castle walls instead or ballista with a longer range for the sake of immersion of combat and castle defense.

MQfHl7c.png