Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RKNM

No underwater combat - good or bad?

Actually, the jumping puzzles were my favorite part of GW2

And frankly, with crafting materials being the only reward we get for most tasks/loot and CW's you can probably expect plenty of your #2.

The last 2: yeah, nobody likes those, but seeing as this is a player driven economy, pretty sure we don't need to worry about vendor trash

Well I should have said "grey items" or some such and true, those shouldn't be a problem in CF.  I am all for crafting (and having the best items being the most difficult to craft), but it needn't take 17 blue widgets, 6 diamond oyster toes, 3 jelled giant coasters, 24 vials of nik-nik beetle sweat and 13.452 moon-drenched dragon eyelashes to build something.  Make fewer required items that are more difficult to get or at least more rare.  I don't want to have to constantly manage my inventory--that has never been fun in ANY game. I hope, hope, hope that ACE resist the temptation to monetize bag space.   

Jumping puzzles are a matter of taste (I say they are trash).  However, they are at best a side diversion in MMO such as CF, much like underwater combat would be, and a needless distraction from the development of the core game. Therefore the two game "features" share the same category, specifically a niche feature that happens to have debatable merit.       

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Did they have to inflate the horses or something ?

Funny thing is they had inflated leather sacks with them to aid their own swimming, but no, they didn't inflate horses. No matter how disguisting habits nomads have, it seems blowing air in a horse's orifice was a bit too much even for them.

I have very little interest in fighting under water. In fact I might go as far as to suggest that we inhabit a universe where swimming just isn't a think. You sink and drown (possibly with ways to counter it, such a breathers, etc). I'm mainly interested in boats / ships. I'd like to see (deep) bodies of water be extremely important strategically, only passable by bridge or boat. Naval warfare, piracy, and troop / resource transport would fit perfectly with the setting. 

And of course rivers shallow enough to cross should still come with a big movement handicap, and probably try to push you down the direction the water is flowing.

The only MMO I've seen recently that sports a halfway decent water combat system is Guild Wars 2. And even then it's largely ignored by the player base unless they're forced into it by an objective or something.

Edited by Audit

Fighting underwater in heavy plate armour is absurd anyway. They should make it so that movement through water is restricted, so that locations like bridges can make choke points. Either swim and get shot to bits or fight to take control of the bridge. That kind of thing

"Underwater combat was so much fun in GW2 so it should be in other MMOs" - Nobody Ever

Actually, I really liked underwater combat in GW2 (disproving your point), mostly cause I took the time to master it. It got to the point where, because I had an understanding of the classes underwater mechanics, I could hold a checkpoint by myself in battlefields no problem. Once wracked up a 34/4 K/D in one (back when amphibious Ranger builds were viable).

Even with the fun I had though, I wouldn't necessarily say that it should become a staple or that other games should use a similar system. Even then it didn' really feel like fightimg underwater, just more of the same with another axis thrown in as a gimmick. I would say something a lot simpler would be fine, but certainly don't split any hairs over it

Edited by RKNM

I'd like to see underwater combat but as a far-future expansion - i.e. one that introduces naval/ocean warfare to CF. I'm a fan of that type of thing.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

I've never cared much for MMO underwater combat. You take a system that works somewhat well on 2 axes and transplant it into 3. Woo, so novel.

It just doesn't work. At best, it still feels awkward. At worst, it makes combat really, really tedious. And frankly, I don't know how you'd make it work at all in an action combat system where it isn't as simple as letting everyone fly really slowly with a breath bar.

I've never had a good experience fighting underwater in an MMO.  Ever.  I was super relieved to hear that announcement.

a62683edbfc09d0373cb7494e23ef3cd3a056da3

Actually, I really liked underwater combat in GW2 (disproving your point), mostly cause I took the time to master it. It got to the point where, because I had an understanding of the classes underwater mechanics, I could hold a checkpoint by myself in battlefields no problem. Once wracked up a 34/4 K/D in one (back when amphibious Ranger builds were viable).

Even with the fun I had though, I wouldn't necessarily say that it should become a staple or that other games should use a similar system. I would say something a lot sinpler would be fine, but certainly don't split any hairs over it

lol

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

can't wait for water to become some form of safe zone, because you can't fight in it...

My suggestions on this is add an endurance/fatigue bar for swimming u die when it runs out.

So basicly u can fight in water that is say waste deep but the moment you go to swimming animation u cant fight at all and u get an fatigue bar and when that runs out u sink and drown like 20second to allow for people to get back on dryland after getting knock back into it and what not, (Loot should wash up on the closest landmass nearby otherwise people will just suicide in the water so no one can get there stuff)

Would also make boats fight more interesting if they ever add it later, where it bad going overboard, so it wont just turn into a underwater fight like it so often did in Darkfall

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

I don't think there should be underwater combat, like they said in the video, too much work for little result. The extra up/ down dimension that it adds is just confusing and makes animations hard to create, screws up the camera etc. A waste of time and resources.

However, it would be nice if they didn't do like SWTOR, where there is only shallow water and not even a swim animation, I would like them to add water deep enough to prevent easy crossing and add swimming. When you swim you move slowly and can't fight, like in LOTRO. On top of that they could add a weight limit to your character when you go swimming. If you are carrying to much you swim even more slowly, and at a point you just sink, can't even swim. So heavy armor users or people who just looted a bunch of gear from enemies would not be able to cross for example. This adds a nice immersion and strategy element depending on the water and how it is distributed in the terrain. If there is only shallow water that everyone can easily cross then we might as well not even have water, it will be just a graphical thing that everyone will ignore, I'd prefer that wasn`t the case.

Additionally, well after launch they could have a "water overhaul" expansion or patch that adds boats, port buildings and other things you can use on water, that would be something cool to see.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

I don't think there should be underwater combat, like they said in the video, too much work for little result. The extra up/ down dimension that it adds is just confusing and makes animations hard to create, screws up the camera etc. A waste of time and resources.

However, it would be nice if they didn't do like SWTOR, where there is only shallow water and not even a swim animation, I would like them to add water deep enough to prevent easy crossing and add swimming. When you swim you move slowly and can't fight, like in LOTRO. On top of that they could add a weight limit to your character when you go swimming. If you are carrying to much you swim even more slowly, and at a point you just sink, can't even swim. So heavy armor users or people who just looted a bunch of gear from enemies would not be able to cross for example. This adds a nice immersion and strategy element depending on the water and how it is distributed in the terrain. If there is only shallow water that everyone can easily cross then we might as well not even have water, it will be just a graphical thing that everyone will ignore, I'd prefer that wasn`t the case.

Additionally, well after launch they could have a "water overhaul" expansion or patch that adds boats, port buildings and other things you can use on water, that would be something cool to see.

Actually, this would be really great, would cut down on animating underwater combat to just swim and drown animations. Woukd also make use of the physics engine they have been teasing us with. Maybe even add a "fatigue bar" when you're in water that refills slowly as you stand on dry land, if it gets to 0, toon drowns. Would add a dynamic when it comes to water, either force them in and force them to drown, or keep chasing down. Edited by RKNM