Pann

Founders' Update: What will your Crowfall legacy be? - Official discussion thread

We haven't heard much detail about the Hunger yet. It's significant in the lore - Gaea is killed, the worlds are becoming corrupted, so the All-Father goes to investigate and never returns. We know it greatly changes the environment and all creatures in the campaign worlds, so I wonder what it does to our Eternal Heroes? 

It's not permadeath. If your character gets consumed by the hunger, you'll turn into a zombie and join the zombie faction where you'll be forced to hunt down and eat people.

If you don't hunt down enough people and eat their souls often enough your character's stats will decay faster and faster until you permanently lose stats.

J. Todd is my uncle, he told me this is what's gonna be revealed.

Edited by macavity

I'm excited for the summary of what crowfall is. It sounds silly I know, but I've gotten 3 people to sign up so far. And obviously the first they ask when I mention it is what kind of game is it. And there is no easy answer. So it turns into me explaining things and sending links. Eventually they fall in love with it, but as it stands explaining "what it is" to someone who knows nothing about the game is harder than you'd think.

male confessor? i see a book

I SEE A MERCY-LOVING STAFF, BUT SURE, YOU CAN HAVE YOUR BOOK O_O. I thought their weapon choices were going to be either tome or poker/brand/wand, so I'm a little excited about this :]

Other spoilers I'm finding in this Glorious artwork (Let's play I Spy!!):

-What appears to be a male Druid

-Champion wearing a Spartan-style Helmet (and the female knight/templar sporting the same helmet)

-Either the female assassin going super saiyan, or the female confessor undergoing The Rapture

-A catapult (that appears to be collapsing)

-The Knight's terrible grip on his sword (no pun intended)

What it could all mean:

-Staves are one handed weapons OR Off-had weapons are still present when wielding 2-handed weapons

-Male Druid reveal may be coming soon (at long last)

-Certain armor pieces may look the same for all Archetypes, and not change per Archeype (as previously believed) OR Templar and Champion just share the same sense of style

-New buff/stance ability for either confessor or assassin

-War machines and siege vehicles may play a part in gameplay/may be attackable

-Not only can the Knight NOT use a shield properly (still sore about the folding chair overhead smash and disarmament animation), but he's not so great at getting the right grip on his sword either. Starting to wonder if the Knight should be renamed the Noob, for how inexperienced he seems to be with using these weapons improperly...

Just pure speculation and kind of going on a limb to give something potentially meaningless meaning, but the implications are there and can be groundbreaking. Speculation....

Edited by RKNM

As far as what the ominous foreshadowing might be...for some reason, I don't think it has to do with perma-death. With all the talk of Glory, Wealth, and Power, along with their primary creed of "Eternal Heroes, Dying Worlds," I'm thinking this change may have less to do with our "Eternal Heroes" and more to do with our "Dying Worlds". More specifically, our Eternal Kingdoms, the primary way with express our Glory, Wealth and Power. I'm thinking that when we commit ourselves to a campaign, we are staking more than the loot we carry, but the well being of our EK and our EK's loot as well. How? Maybe by adding our EK's to the procedural generation of worlds, or by taking a part of our EK's loot or land as part of an "entrance fee" into a CW. This sounds great in theory, but probably too complicated for application.

They could also be referencing something else, such as the mechanics of the worlds themselves, like maybe announcing how hunger and cold may impact us in-game, or focusing more heavily on survival mechanics as a major part of gameplay.

Or it could have something to do with mechanics themselves. There's a lot of talk about things like stealth and death mechanics. Maybe they'll be announcing how stealth and anti-stealth will work/have changed from their original vision.

Anyhow, that's all my speculating for today :]

Edited by RKNM

Hardcore? How about when we die, we need a place to bury our body (in our EK) before we can rise again. The hunger demands that we feed the land. The EKs become massive cemeteries. Die a lot and you'll need to expand your EK (through purchase or conquest and export from the campaigns) to make room.

If players have like 50 lives per campaign im gonna go nuts.

Because you think that is too few? Too many? Not at all necessary?

They've talked about having a last man standing type ruleset in the past, so I could see them doing something like that for specific campaigns, but not for every campaign.

Alright, back to the game of rampant speculation!

I don't see this as simple as permedeath in the sense we are used to... You die once and you are back to the character creation screen. We heard that might be a special CW ruleset so its not going to be the baseline mechanic.

Those that are suggesting a tie in to the Hunger consumption of a CW are looking in the right direction in my opinion. That is in keeping with the lore as well. So two related questions:

1. What is Warmth as a character stat? Might the answer be related to how long each individual might resist the coming winter (Hunger) before being no longer able to respawn on that world? A permedeath of sorts but as related to a CW instance and not one particular death event.

2. The embargo vault gets our loots off world when the Hunger triumphs. But how do our "immortal heroes" survive the demise of a CW? Do we jump back to the EK in the knick of time, or is the process more traumatic and transformational? Maybe the mind/soul has a better chance than the physical body.

One final thought on the metaphor of the seasons as related to CW, what if that applies to characters as well (aging being the reference most easily understood). The alpha mechanic that makes me suspicious is the death counter and lockout recently added to Hunger Dome matches, on the face described as a way to spread out testing opportunity. But what if it is the start of a system that tracks and manages respawn in each CW? If each respawn aged /degraded you character it would be a softcap approach to other balance issue like naked casters or bind rushing. Done right, this could be a really interesting facet to war - the economics not just of wear/replacement of gear but of your body or SOUL!

Edited by ren

Yeah, but even if it's 1000 deaths, that still makes our immortal heroes less than immortal.

I'm thinking it will be something not related to death. Maybe they are going to tell us about warmth and other survival mechanics.

I agree, It is not Permadeath or any death mechanic. This is about the hunger and the survival mechanics. It is the only thing they have not explained that seems to be a basic game system. This also makes sense because the Hunger, which is the center of the survival mechanic, conects everything the game just like ACE said.