Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Founders' Update: What will your Crowfall legacy be? - Official discussion thread

I really doubt it's going to be permadeath just because that will scare off a lot of people from backing and potentially a lot of backers.

I have a feeling it's something to do with the EKs because they seem pretty damn pointless for the most part. If there's one feature that's really disjointed from the game right now it's the EKs imo.

I think making the EKs too important would drive a lot of people away as well...

I think making the EKs too important would drive a lot of people away as well...

Yea no doubt. I was hoping my EK would just be a blank piece of ground with a target dummy (if those exist in this game)

I have a feeling this upcoming announcement will incentivize the EKs more in some way or another since it's a big feature that most of us (at least forum people) couldn't care less about.

I think you are trying to find a way to take a jab and divert from the subject.  As if anyone that played EQ in its prime would think the death penalties were soft... that game probably had the most painful death experience of any mmorpg to date.  Especially when they added exp loss on pvp death on sullon zek. 

I'm not the one worried about consequences being too harsh here...

Survival games have harsher death penalties than most mmorpgs.

Nah Lineage 1 and 2 or UO were more harsh than EQ. Then you have games like Darkfall and Mortal Online, or EVE. EQ death penalty was harsh but it wasnt that bad. Even FFXI had XP loss on any death. 

We only have a few concrete clues, but they really seem to narrow the possibilities.

...a few remaining puzzle pieces that just don’t quite fit...

...it WILL require a shift in the way you are thinking...
... tie together some of the elements in a way that you never expected...

...straight from our lore...

...it touches on everything from

• character creation
  • advancement
  • death
  • looting
...implications are ... hardcore...

...it connects everything...

Sounds like perma-death to me.  It would create more need for character creation and advancement (finally, a better reason to buy VIP!) by applying more finality to your death/loot.

We only have a few concrete clues, but they really seem to narrow the possibilities.

Sounds like perma-death to me.  It would create more need for character creation and advancement (finally, a better reason to buy VIP!) by applying more finality to your death/loot.

Something that eventually leads to permanent death would definitely have influence on all of those things... it's exciting though because something like that is unlikely but not much else would make sense... but that means they may hit us with a curve ball that we didn't expect... which is awesome. 

That depends on what how you define a player. Can be not just somebody who is playing but also somebody who expressed the desire to play. Or somebody who plays online on a regular basis.

Yeah, it's a valid point, and we don't want any confusion -- we thought that having it detail the number of "backers" on the pledge page would be clear enough, but if that isn't the case, we'll change it to say "accounts" or "crows" or something similar.

Thanks for the input!

Todd

Survival games have proven that millions upon millions are interested in more hardcore consequences so this argument doesn't really hold weight. 

How does this compare to a game that requires 1-2 year of passive training to max a char?

/brain on pls

#classicVN

Edited by Fenris DDevil

18qt0ercjsa93jpg.jpg

In a room sit three great men: a King, a Priest, and a Rich Man with his gold. Between them stands a Sell-Sword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two.

‘Do it,’ says the King, ‘for I am your lawful ruler.’

‘Do it,’ says the Priest, ‘for I command you in the names of the Gods.’

‘Do it,’ says the Rich Man, ‘and all this gold shall be yours.’

So tell me – who lives and who dies?

Edited by cemya

18qt0ercjsa93jpg.jpg

In a room sit three great men: a King, a Priest, and a Rich Man with his gold. Between them stands a Sell-Sword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two.

‘Do it,’ says the King, ‘for I am your lawful ruler.’

‘Do it,’ says the Priest, ‘for I command you in the names of the Gods.’

‘Do it,’ says the Rich Man, ‘and all this gold shall be yours.’

So tell me – who lives and who dies?

All 3.

Edit: All 3 die, that is.  Someone has a new robe, a shiny crown, and more gold than he was originally offered.

Edited by yamix

To compliment Freeze's point if you institute a perma death system, whats to stop me from registering my entire guild on the first day, and then not playing at all until the last day? Sure you might have better gear/better position, but the amount of people you have left is almost negiligible in comparison to my entire group that hasn't lost anyone since we haven't played. At that point, whoever and whatever is left is just easily mopped up, and the person who didn't plan has a drastically increased chance of winning to the person who has been playing?

Whats the counter to that? You could create mandatory play, but that's easy enough to exploit. 

The only counter would be Rust's sytem of having bodies there even after logout, but bodies + perma death, is just nuts. You will bleed subs with that model, because it encourages the night raid, as remember not everyone will own a castle. It means all the mercs and others who do romes would be killed the first day, leaving the game in a way more boring state.

tldr: Perma death works for short campaigns, as battle royals almost, but never for extended campaigns. Permadeath as an extended campaign type is far too easy to exploit.

The game doesn't have steep power curve...

That catch phrase was coined to make it seem more new player friendly. But those who have played a real open-world pvp mmo know damn well that that's a farce. For example take a knight with default gear in the hunger dome and pit him against a knight in full purple's. They add damage/hp/def/exc... And that's just gear. It's like you just regurgitate quotes and never really think about what your about to say.

Another piece of art teasing flight... I'm sure that's not what they're going to reveal.

Chances are they'll reveal the hunger mechanism, and maybe aging, as a form of decay that may permenantly kill characters if exceeded.

Maybe you die of hunger from not eating, dieing, and exposure...

Beyond that, you don't have to lose your character, in a campaign based game, you could simply be eliminated from that campaign at some point.

Yeah, it's a valid point, and we don't want any confusion -- we thought that having it detail the number of "backers" on the pledge page would be clear enough, but if that isn't the case, we'll change it to say "accounts" or "crows" or something similar.

Thanks for the input!

Todd

Change it to participants, that'll include everyone playing, backing, and just signed up for the forum and beta. Edited by bahamutkaiser