Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chet

A contemplation for all SB veterans

For server health!

I don`t see any issue with it to be honest. I`ve fought a two sided server wars based on the China threat.
My thread is not about China at all or their culture, but guilds who use similar guild policy approach as CN in the past - open zerg recruitment to just destroy the life of the server, because we can mentality of some guilds. 
What is the fun of that? Ah, because some guilds sucks nutbawls so they need to rely on numbers, right..

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Some singular entity of all SB players is not something anyone should wish to bring about pre-release. I advocate a pledge of mutual assistance against massive zerg threats, or whatever necessary to prevent being overrun by similar looming dangers.

Destroying the sovereignty of guilds would be a total hindrance. Guilds must be able to act independently and take their own initiative, otherwise they are not really guilds. Players should simply understand the potential threats posed by gigantic conglomerate entities that can enter the game from the start, or form afterwards. Recognition of the threats such entities pose is paramount; the mentality of "us against all others" held by some groups of players past and present is just non-viable when being assailed by a 250 player force. Forces of such a size are not at all outside the realm of possibility in a game predicated on total warfare which includes politics.

I hate to say it...But i totally agree with Chet on this one.  Assisting each other against zerg threats would be a good idea, but guilds have their own identity, and they aren't, and shouldn't, give it up to form some huge alliance.

cmurder%20sig_zpsaq2rwphh.jpg

It will still require a great amount of coordination. Limited fast travel means we'd have to settle near each other to effectively assist each other in campaigns(depending on world size and travel times of course). We'd also have to herd all the guilds into the same band/dying world. Then comes the question of rewards, what guild gets to win while the rest have to bend the knee. It might actually make more sense logistically to be under one banner with each guild maintained as sub.

We may have to forge some alliances...  But then again, we don't know what the other forces are looking like yet, who knows, maybe SB players could do 2 v 15 and win...  I think it is an idea we shouldn't toss aside, but I don't think it is one we need to make a decision on yet.  Guilds should keep their own identity,reward would have to be split in some fashion, most likely gold in place of actual items.  The alliance should only really be needed if there is a threat great enough to pose a threat to the "SB player nation" as a whole.  Divide and conquer would be ideal, but again, we have to see what other guilds/nations are bringing to the table.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

You really want more of a confederacy, rather than a full on SB Nation. If you just conglomerate everyone together, you'll lose people steadily as they become just another foot soldier in the zerg. Keeping the various guild identities whole is the best way to maximize the alliance's numbers and effectiveness. Most of these guilds have been working together for years, and do so very well. Lumping them altogether in the same nation would be like walking into a mine field of personality conflicts.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I'll be there just to hear 100 people shoved in one channel letting their personalities clash. I can just imagine some nerd rage, ventrillo key clicks, VN talking about beta, Saal talking about being 10 on live, Primal talking about seeing a 20k vag, Drogenn trolling people in channel, Polish people with their heavy accents, Manshoon calling everyone Dissent pigs, Khan calling Australians brits with downs, Ween rapping and preaching that 3rd coast, while Snax cackles.

I'll be there just to hear 100 people shoved in one channel letting their personalities clash. I can just imagine some nerd rage, ventrillo key clicks, VN talking about beta, Saal talking about being 10 on live, Primal talking about seeing a 20k vag, Drogenn trolling people in channel, Polish people with their heavy accents, Manshoon calling everyone Dissent pigs, Khan calling Australians brits with downs, Ween rapping and preaching that 3rd coast, while Snax cackles.

People that leave ventrilo key clicks on have no business thinking they will do well.

I definitely think all of these people who are afraid of what is to come should definitely band together and make an alliance though. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think Chet has a right and great idea.  However, it is quite short sighted.  Please understand the bulk of your Shadowbane players are now in their upper 20's or 30's.  This means they all have real life to contend with.  You're taking a thinly stretched minority, and trying to band it together in hopes of it being enough.  Sorry to say, but this is not a movie fairy tale where the 30 year old underdogs come back to claim victory.  It won't be enough.  If you want any hope of thriving and not just surviving you're going to need to look outside your decade old mindset and try and find a more relevant group of folks to ally with.

Build your Shadowbane alliance, but don't stop there...

[@--(o.O)@]

The biggest thing will be the cohesion of egos over the duration of the campaign. Unless under a single banner, each SB guild will line up as the next loser as the Hunger sets in. I can imagine the infighting over who gets "x" share of whatever, or nothing if played in the Dregs.

One thing I learned over years, and multiple server wars, cohesion is extremely difficult if it is artificially manufactured. Look at the recent problems with CN, or even with CN on live servers where CN formed between 150-300 toons. NA/EU would form alliances against the Pac-Rim nations and almost always lose due to attrition. Mourning was the only exception (Well, the lore servers as well). People just quit playing rather than fight a prolonged "campaign".  They didn't want the entrenched grind, working as a collective, where as the Chinese thrived on it.

Why was this? Largely ego, maybe a lack of individual guild identity. SB degenerated into a "self-enforced" GvG game, where guild averages were fielding 15-40 people a night, alliances were called "nut cupping" and "Zerging" meant bringing 30 vs. the other guys 15. I sincerely doubt that mindset will work in this game given the numbers that some gaming communities will be fielding as a single entity (and this of course is before any alliances).

That being said It is a good Idea, I'd start laying the groundwork for it and try to assemble a completely new entity with a structure of respected leadership from the SB community. Get people to buy in now. Play other games and try to build cohesion on a larger scale. Fielding thirty bros a night probably won't cut it.

There's been a SB alliance in several games. The only notable would probably be Darkfall. Stay salty my friend.

The SB DF alliance didn't do so well.  There was an older and greater evil that originated from Ultima Online that did more damage in that game as an alliance.  That was when it actually had players playing the game.  Hopefully that won't be repeated in Crowfall (but most likely will).

The SB DF alliance didn't do so well.  There was an older and greater evil that originated from Ultima Online that did more damage in that game as an alliance.  That was when it actually had players playing the game.  Hopefully that won't be repeated in Crowfall (but most likely will).

You're right. Let's just all refund and /wrist

which one was the UO alliance?

the only big UO guild that played was SUN and they self-sieged for months.

Is there a way to make this happen now? I'll pay the $5 entrance fee.