Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xaero

Mega Server for Mega Guilds?

We all know these guilds exist out there.  They have 200 - 500 (or more) players in them.  When they come to a game in force they wreck havoc to the games systems and players.  

PRX and GW2 is a great example:  I was with them for the launch of GW2.  When they wanted to "win" a server round they would force their entire population to be on an "All Call" where you had to be queued up for PVP.  It was a disaster if you loved PVP.  You could go days without PVP because the world servers were full.

Now imagine if a mega guild like that decides to play Crowfall.  That would lock down a normal server population really quick.  The best solution I see for this would be a "Mega Server" specifically made for these Mega Guilds to duke it out on.  

A Mega Server could require that the ACE developers contact several of the mega guild leaders to see if they can all agree on a ruleset and timer (since most of these guilds make actual plans of what they are doing and where they are going).  Then when the server is released these Mega Guilds can clash with each other to see who is really the best.  Another thing ACE would need to do is make sure there is a strong warning for smaller guilds as they would get frustrated quick when fighting such overwhelming odds.  A server like this would also need to handle up to 5000 players or more (10,000!).

This server would funnel these server locking/crashing into one place while the rest of us in smaller guilds can duke it out elsewhere.  Unless we smaller guilds decide we want to disrupt the larger ones with no way of winning anything other than an annoyance award.

We all know these guilds exist out there.  They have 200 - 500 (or more) players in them.  When they come to a game in force they wreck havoc to the games systems and players.  

PRX and GW2 is a great example:  I was with them for the launch of GW2.  When they wanted to "win" a server round they would force their entire population to be on an "All Call" where you had to be queued up for PVP.  It was a disaster if you loved PVP.  You could go days without PVP because the world servers were full.

Now imagine if a mega guild like that decides to play Crowfall.  That would lock down a normal server population really quick.  The best solution I see for this would be a "Mega Server" specifically made for these Mega Guilds to duke it out on.  

A Mega Server could require that the ACE developers contact several of the mega guild leaders to see if they can all agree on a ruleset and timer (since most of these guilds make actual plans of what they are doing and where they are going).  Then when the server is released these Mega Guilds can clash with each other to see who is really the best.  Another thing ACE would need to do is make sure there is a strong warning for smaller guilds as they would get frustrated quick when fighting such overwhelming odds.  A server like this would also need to handle up to 5000 players or more (10,000!).

This server would funnel these server locking/crashing into one place while the rest of us in smaller guilds can duke it out elsewhere.  Unless we smaller guilds decide we want to disrupt the larger ones with no way of winning anything other than an annoyance award.

I have no idea how they plan to handle caps on CWs but any sort of special treatment for certain guilds with direct contact from ACE especially in the live service sounds like a bad idea....

As far as letting the best guilds clash, they have a tournament system planned for that. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Seems like part of fixing this would be to make the reward split between all players of the winning team.  The more players, the less each gets.  Artifacts burn out faster if there are more players affected.  Binding to a base increases the upkeep in a CW (exponential).  

Then, make worlds with high population that give a reward per player (rather than a split) and are less penalizing to size.  Bigger guilds, in theory, may naturally move to these realms.   The ability to have rulesets gives a lot of options for combating some of these problems.

Edited by yamix

I have no idea how they plan to handle caps on CWs but any sort of special treatment for certain guilds with direct contact from ACE especially in the live service sounds like a bad idea....

As far as letting the best guilds clash, they have a tournament system planned for that. 

I totally understand the "special treatment" issue brought up.  However, how much fun is a 30 man guild going to have if there is a 1000 man guild on their server causing population locks or simply zerging you into the ground if there is no lock?  These guilds exist.  Give them an opportunity to play Titan vs Titan.

Unfortunately, I doubt all megaguilds will want to fight only other megaguilds. People like being the big fish in the little pond.

I agree with this as well.  I know at least one Mega Guild that likes to pick on the little guy (not PRX).  So while PRX could be convinced to do this the others may not want to fight on even grounds.

Edited by xaero

I don't think this is a viable option. Not only are you asking devs to spend (player funded) funds on a specific group of people for essentially a private server, but you're also asking them to keep in contact with said guilds on a regular basis,which brings a lot of other issues.

9e58b2ae2f9ac9f2904b5d4c33b609bb92d1a174

"Sharp alone, deadly together."

I totally understand the "special treatment" issue brought up.  However, how much fun is a 30 man guild going to have if there is a 1000 man guild on their server causing population locks or simply zerging you into the ground if there is no lock?  These guilds exist.  Give them an opportunity to play Titan vs Titan.

I agree with this as well.  I know at least one Mega Guild that likes to pick on the little guy (not PRX).  So while PRX could be convinced to do this the others may not want to fight on even grounds.

Well i'd imagine they will have some checks in place... but either way a 30man guild can choose to find other guilds to team up with to deal with the 1000man guild, or they can get rolled which should end the campaign quickly. 

Server access will be prioritized.

VIP sub players will have first shot at access.

WHAT DO I GET FOR A VIP MEMBERSHIP?

VIP members allows a few additional benefits:

• “Behind the scenes” access to the development of the game
  • VIP members can use passive training for all 3 character slots (not just 1)
  • Priority access to all game servers
  • VIP frame / badge on the forums
  • Discount pricing on any purchases
  • Other cool (non-balance affecting) benefits as we think of them!

~pricing FAQ

After that, larger and/or older pledge packages may get server access priority too. Who knows?

My point is, megaguilds are unlikely to have huge numbers of VIP players. 

If they do, surely ACE will be able to afford to rent more servers, and my guild can hopefully find a campaign where we can compete.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka

I actually thought of a better idea:

150 Guild member minimum "Titans" server.  You guild must have at minimum 150 players to join the server as a guild.

ACE makes the rules without consulting anyone.  Some of the larger guilds can fight each other without hurting the small guy.

Crowfall servers are about multiple choices, right?

150 Guild member minimum "Titans" server.  You guild must have at minimum 150 players to join the server as a guild.

ACE makes the rules without consulting anyone.  Some of the larger guilds can fight each other without hurting the small guy.

I think they should just allow guilds of all shapes and sizes and see who rises to the top. 

First it might help if we agree on terms.  150 players is not a mega guild to me because there are player communities out there with thousands and thousands of players...

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Goonswarm_(Player_alliance)

Now regardless of how many players we do draw the line at to make a "mega guild" we still have a fundamental issue.  Do we have a tiered championship ala Texas High School football as you suggest?  Or do we opt for come one come all winner take all ala historical Indiana HS basketball?

Just my opinion but a tiered system as you have suggested will never work as no matter where you set the sizes groups can maneuver around the caps by creating separate guilds and being allies. 

Instead alternate capping methods might work and could be welcome but it will take much more then just a simple number set in stone.

That make sense?

Edited by Anaraion

0f678e9787b873074149c019e1245cc58ac62d89

I suppose when a "Mega-guild" joins a Campaign World, they immediately became the ruler and other guilds have to knell. 

Then all their character are going to stay on that CW until the Hunger corrodes the world.
Meanwhile the fallen guilds will start an other campaign out of their reach (and also God's reach  ;-) )   

In conclusion, instead of mega server I suppose we'll find concurrent istances of dreg CW. :-) 

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

What about Operation Pitchfork (mega alliance) in Star citizen which I trolled years ago on the SC forum, and some kids and other carebears instantly abandon the fleet, because I said something like: Well, think about all the aliens who will retaliate after they have crushed Operation Pitchfork who will kill innocent people in other friendly star systems based on operation pitchfork actions, lol. 

It`s like join the unity /insert symbolism, mass recruit bla bla bla. 

Pew pew pew pew pew, pew. 

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/60679/invading-vanduul-space-at-the-end-of-the-beta-operation-pitchfork-news-letter-linked

- I`m not too worried to be honest; we`ve different CW`s with rulesets like friendly fire for a reason, and server limitation for sure.

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

The problem you aren't considering is server limits. Normal CWs are going to have as many players as they can hold, so it isn't possible to have another CW with just mega-guilds unless there are a lot fewer guilds.

You're also assuming that a guild of 1000 people will all play CF and will all agree to play within the same ruleset. More likely they will have a presence in multiple bands and divide their members based on their preference. If a guild wants to build up one or more EKs, they will want the easier, more common resources from the outer bands.

If mega-guilds end up being a problem, they can create CWs with guild limits. I'd actually be in favor of that in any case to keep things on a more even footing.

I don't think any mega guild would join a mega-server. More likely they distribute themselves over many rulesets or flood a whole campaign and completly control this particular ruleset (like 1 guild with X people distribute themselves to one third of the guild to each faction or so).

Guild limits won't really help as you could split your guild and create "Almighty Zerg 1" to "Almighty Zerg x" guilds and still join the same campaign.

I'm not really sure if it fits the general concept of Crowfall when developers would interfere here to artificially create borders. Unless a guild completely fills a campaign world I'd say let us (the players) handle this.

Out of a mega guild you have low and high activity times unless you have an international guild which has a constant guild activity over 24 hours but then the guild population avialable at a certain time wouldn't be the full force but rather a smaller group.

So you either have the same situation like GW2 has (sometimes) where your server dominates the WvWvW maps in the evening and in the morning the other server completely dominates or

B) you face a relatively constant number of enemy players over a time of 24 hours or

c) in the primetime when the majority of players are online on all sides they clash and well have a battle royal.

d) would be that the majority of players in one campaign world are part of one single guild/community and they basically pass the victory around with no other serious competitor around. But if some guild did that they'd be marked as <insert bad word> and I don't that that is going to happen.

Of course this is only theory and what not. But to be honest I'd rather want to fail trying to win against a mega - guild here in Crowfall than run to the devs saying "but but but....". Of course if this appears to be a major problem in the future the devs have to act.

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

This is definitely a concern for me mainly because ACE has said they are designing the campaign worlds to have a concurrent playerbase of 1000-2000 people. Server performance will suffer if many mega-guilds each try to cram 1000+ people in one CW. Artificial constraints on guild size don't work because people just work around it.

Only idea I had on this is for ACE to create a "Shadow Domination" leaderboard: create a metagame scoring system that spans across multiple CWs and gives points to guilds for territory controlled/resources/wins etc. This would encourage mega-guilds to send smaller subguilds into many CWs and would make more competitive gameplay within each CW. Being #1 guild on the overall "Domination" leaderboard would be something worth bragging about, and the CWs won't be crushed under the lag if the whole zerg piles into one CW  :o .

tiPrpwh.png

I think they should just allow guilds of all shapes and sizes and see who rises to the top. 

They are with the 5 - 100 other worlds that will be in the game. This "Titan" server is one out of many possible rulesets.  Like some servers won't allow you to bring items into them the Titan server would require your guild to have 150 or more players to join.

The problem you aren't considering is server limits. Normal CWs are going to have as many players as they can hold, so it isn't possible to have another CW with just mega-guilds unless there are a lot fewer guilds.

You're also assuming that a guild of 1000 people will all play CF and will all agree to play within the same ruleset. More likely they will have a presence in multiple bands and divide their members based on their preference. If a guild wants to build up one or more EKs, they will want the easier, more common resources from the outer bands.

If mega-guilds end up being a problem, they can create CWs with guild limits. I'd actually be in favor of that in any case to keep things on a more even footing.

This is 2015 (almost 2016).  Remember Shawdowbane back in 2003?  There were 1000+ player sieges in that game and the client bogged down to about 1 spell cast every few minutes.  I would think technology would have improved since then to allow these "Titans" to fight each other on this one server.

The "Titan" server would be a "carrot on a stick" approach to lure these really large guilds away from the normal servers.  Is PRX better than Blood?  Will Goonsquad beat both easily on this server?  Do any of these large guilds have any reason to play Crowfall if they focus on only little guilds?  There is a possible money aspect to this as well for ACE but that is a given.  It's something they should think about or even simply ask any large guild contact if they were interested in something like this.

Edited by xaero

Looking for a guild that can compete with the Mega Guilds?

Check us out:

Xen Of Onslaught

www.xoohq.com

Oh, this thread was over 2 years old - I see what you did here.. It was naughty so @Pann will be here shortly. biglaugh.gif

If u want to join a large zerg guild related to players at least join KGB - it`s an old Ultima Online/shadowbane guild.

http://the-kgb.com/

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

In Darkfall, they had an alliance at server startup called They Hyperion Alliance. I was in an opposing alliance called Stasis. While we were smaller, we were consolidated (to give an idea, they probably had 1000 players vs. our 200-250). When we hit, we had less defense to deal with, and when we got hit, we had more consolidated defenses. In the end, we lost. However, we had a blast fighting and sieging, and gave them a good run for their money. Once we lost, a large portion segregated from Hyperion to start the Y'ssam Coalition and finally, Hyperion's reign was over. I don't imaging anything going differently here. 

One benefit to Hyperion controlling most of the map was the limitless opportunities to gank mob spawns and players standing just outside of city lines. "Assassins" if you will. It was fun for the time in between the wars, and tons of good gear and mounts!