Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FenrisDDevil

What is the December reveal about and why is it the Hunger

From the mmorpgitalia interview:

7) If i want to do the Pk it will bring me some advantages or disadvantages?

Yes — though the gains are economic and social/political. In terms of character advancement, remember that skills are increased via the passive training system. There is an intersection point between PvP combat and character advancement, but it is in the form of physical items: equipment and resources, obvious, but also more permanent increases (in the form of Runestones).
Oops — we just tripped over part of the game system reveal coming in December. I guess that’s all I can say, for now. ;p

What do we think about runestones?  How might they work, will they help to counteract the hunger?  Thoughts?

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Maybe something drops out of players that might be used to craft runestones?

All I know about runestones is how they were in Shadowbane: http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php?title=Runestones

Disciplines are applied with items called discipline runes. Discipline runes are found on specific mobs throughout the world. All discipline droppers spawn just once every three hours. When a discipline dropper spawns, a message will be seen on the global channel announcing the name of the dropper and its location. If you were too late to kill the dropper, another source of discipline runes is purchasing them from other players.

Mastery Runes are special items that qualified players (level 20 and up) may use to gain the ability to train weapon mastery focus lines which they no not normally get included with their class. For example, a Priest is given the ability to train Staff, however he is not able to train Staff Mastery for additional attack rating and powers. By applying a staff mastery rune, he would then be granted that ability. Typically, the powers granted from such lines are of low level; it is recommended that you check specific class pages to see what level of powers will be granted first.

Statistic Runes are items that can be found that will increase your characters statistics past the amount normally allowed by your race. These runes will be specific to one of your attributes and will come in a variety of sizes. They cost a set number of attribute points to apply and will increase the maximum value of the relevant attribute. Runes of the same statistic will overwrite each other. This means the player can use the runes as stepping stones if he does not meet the minimum attribute requirement.

Edited by Fenris DDevil

y9tj8G5.png

Per the December Q and A

• Best guess has been perma death
  • Its defiantly not perma death
  • It is a way that you can loose a character but not in a traditional sence
  • Its been seen in other games but not Fantasy

Edit: My guess

Two game mechanics come to mind

1. Zombie games where when you die your corpse becomes part of the threat in game
  2. Sci-fi games, like eve or star citizen, where when you die you come back either as a clone or wake up in a med bay but because advancement is based on your vesicle anything that can't be recovered is lost

My guess combines the two

Die, and your body litters the ground for a time until the hunger consumes it.  This gives the PK plenty of time to take your stuff or creates a zombie that has your stuff.  Why I like this idea

1. We've already seen zombies able to use knight powers
  2. The gear still can take wear and tare until its gone
  3. It matches the walking dead theme Tyrant has talked about

In addition to loosing your gear on death I think you also lose your Discipline Runestones.  This matches the runestone hint from the other interview.  Runestones so far are also the only non permanent form of advancement.  After death your are placed in another vessel by your god and go about your business once again.

Edited by Degan

• It is a way that you can loose a character but not in a traditional sence (sic)

I think you misunderstood what he was saying; the reveal is not about losing a character, he just made an aside about there being a feature that is similar.

My theory:

Remember in Shadowbane you had a tree that you spawned at?  Well this is like that, your mind is backed up in a tree like in the movie Avatar.  Also like the trees you pledge to in Game of Thrones.  When you respawn, its from a backup saved inside the tree.  This is similar to Clone in Eve Online.  And you also have to water your tree with unobtanium.  Also, Jar Jar Binks is Darth Plagueis.

Edited by kroked

For the unknown system to be revealed later this month, JTC indicated that you can find this system in other games, but it is not found in Fantasy Games.  I saw an early post in this thread referring to Lost Planet and their system to stay warm.  Other than Lost Planet, Fenris, what other games can you reference that supports your theory about the Hunger vs. Warmth system? Referencing Shadowbane seems unwise given JTC's remark about the unknown system is not found in Fantasy Games?

I do think you are on the right track, though, Fenris.

My theory is:  JTC said the answer is in the lore. The lore is all about the Gods.  Thus, taking spoils from the CWs and tithing them to one's chosen God will have a positive effect on the player's characters, skills, disciplines, etc.  One major concept of CF is that we are "harvesting the dying worlds for our Gods."  It's the Gods that give us purpose and if we satisfy them with the items, materials, and resources that they are seeking, the players benefit (e.g. Runes are gifted to us by our God based on how we tithe).  Unfortunately, I don't address the death component in the equation with my theory, but it is as good a guess as any about the unknown system.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

They've said it will touch character creation, so I think warmth has to be part of it. Maybe warmth is a way to stave off the Hunger, and low warmth may result in corruption by the Hunger. Maybe the Hunger can cause permanent change to the character, which can be a soft perma-death if the effects are overly negative.

Selecting a God to follow may also be a part of character creation.  This is very supportive of ACE's claim that choices have consequences.

I concur with Fenris that the reveal will disclose a lot of things.  Perhaps both the Hunger and God allegiance are somehow intertwined.  We shall have to wait and see.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

Selecting a God to follow may also be a part of character creation.  This is very supportive of ACE's claim that choices have consequences.

I asked the question when we would have to pick our deity months ago during the Twitter AMA. They didn't know yet at that time.

The problem with picking your deity at character creation is how does this work with guilds? How does this work with the bands God's Reach and The Infected where we have to pick for which god and faction we want to fight? Do I have to force every member of our guild to create a character with a certain deity? I'm sure that doesn't go well. Or are we forced to split up as a guild when we want to play in these bands? That doesn't sound appealing to me either. Is the guild being able to overrule individual character deities maybe? Or maybe deities won't be picked at character creation after all? The RP part of MMORPG might object.

Many more questions surrounding this problem comes to mind and I'm having a hard time imagining a solution. I'm sure ACE figured it out though.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

The problem with picking your deity at character creation is how does this work with guilds? How does this work with the bands God's Reach and The Infected where we have to pick for which god and faction we want to fight? Do I have to force every member of our guild to create a character with a certain deity? I'm sure that doesn't go well. Or are we forced to split up as a guild when we want to play in these bands?

Do you think that, if that may be the case, there will be a way to change your deity in game at a later stage, so you can participate with your guild in Faction and God Wars. Then I guess you'd have to ask if there are any penalties associated with it.

If not, there may be a lot of God or Faction specific guilds. Or not, considering all of that is supposed to break down as you go into deeper bands.

231e101d88.jpg

1. Do you think that, if that may be the case, there will be a way to change your deity in game at a later stage, so you can participate with your guild in Faction and God Wars. Then I guess you'd have to ask if there are any penalties associated with it.

If not, there may be a lot of God or Faction specific guilds. Or not, considering all of that is supposed to break down as you go into deeper bands.

1. It's possible, but what is the point of choosing your deity at character creation then? Why not pick the deity at the start of a campaign (in those bands where it matters) instead?

Our guild is already divided in their preferred deities. I'm sure we're not alone in that. I do not want to lock our guild into one specific deity. Mixing it up sounds way more appealing and fun.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

I could see the lore supporting Crows jumping around on which deity they currently support: there's plenty of mythology to support a god's champion being lured away by a more promising offer from another deity, or just general betrayal (most of the Loki mythos, the judgement of Paris, Prometheus, Antenor of Troy, Judas Iscariot), so selecting a deity at the start of a campaign, and possibly even having the ability to change sides mid campaign, would make sense.

Everybody has a warmth meter.

It starts decaying when you enter the campaign. As the campaign heads toward the later stages it decays faster.

You need to harvest souls to fill it, from mobs or players.

Every time you die, your warmth meter takes a big hit.

Once your warmth meter hits zero, you are out of the campaign. For most people this will probably happen in the "winter" phase.

Last faction/guild/man standing wins the campaign.

Once your warmth meter hits zero, you are out of the campaign. For most people this will probably happen in the "winter" phase.

Dunno why people want other players out of the campaigns. You are not the first to propose this. It will get lonely pretty fast imo. I want everybody in and to stay in, because I want to fight a lot of people until the end. The more people the better.

ZCcquVD.png

Dunno why people want other players out of the campaigns. You are not the first to propose this. It will get lonely pretty fast imo. I want everybody in and to stay in, because I want to fight a lot of people until the end. The more people the better.

But what if the hungerdome is closer to the real game then we realize? If the hunger is slowly advancing the whole time, squeezing everybody in to a central area, it won't be lonely at all.

Do you start on the fringe where building up stockpiles is easier, but you will have to live as nomads pushed to move by the hunger? Or do you take prime land in the center knowing you will have to spend much of what you collect just to hold on to it?

Part of the fun of the hungerdome is the slow build of tension up to the final scrum at the end. That same feel on a 3 month scale would make the final weeks and battles feel epic as all hell.

ya, those stacks of 18K fish steaks sure was hard to come by

Probably why they say its not really a thing in fantasy games. So far its generally perfunctory. Run out of food? Warp to town and buy some from an NPC.

I'm predicting its a much more complicated piece of logistics. They've already said no instant travel. As long as you can't just carry enough food to last an arbitrary amount of time the mechanic will matter even in the non-full loot campaigns. Thats important, I see a lot of people guessing stuff that won't be put in God's Reach, perma death for starters.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.