Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who are these people: 2015 Survey results, pt. 1 - Official discussion thread

Pann

WoW's in game content ranges from male-centric to alienating to women, but their television commercials heavily push the message that WoW is for everyone/anyone. Over time, that has enabled them to reach up to around a 35% female playerbase. Given that Crowfall is relatively new, has done zero such outreach, and contains mostly cliche female representation (e.g., among the gods we have a courtesan, a crone, and an overly emotional one), it's not surprising that the gender ratio is so skewed.

LJBXw4x.png

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WoW's in game content ranges from male-centric to alienating to women, but their television commercials heavily push the message that WoW is for everyone/anyone. Over time, that has enabled them to reach up to around a 35% female playerbase. Given that Crowfall is relatively new, has done zero such outreach, and contains mostly cliche female representation (e.g., among the gods we have a courtesan, a crone, and an overly emotional one), it's not surprising that the gender ratio is so skewed.

Well, there was one that seemed reasonable, then someone killed her.

Waste of time read what we wrote. BTW all those single crowfall ladies get at me check my avatar for my selfie! All you married men quote me so the ladies see this ok? I have candy!

Its interesting that you guys anticipated that the higher income people would contribute higher dollar amounts. Rich people are pretty frugal with their spending on average. My pops (who does quite well) once said "Kid, you know why I have a lot of money? Because I don't spend it all". This might help you all rediscover your incentives to help people contribute by catering towards the average income demographic.

Consider incentivizing the average income demographic with rewards that would appeal to them. Like for example, it seems like your best demographic looks like this:

Male Parents, who work Full-time 40-50 hours per week, and make around 80-100k a year. 

This is almost me in a nutshell, except for the income part. That being said, I can tell you exactly what would get me to contribute more:

- Exclusive physical items (i.e. sculptures, artwork, etc)

- Boosts to my playing experience that allows me, as a casual player, to experience the game the same way a hardcore player does (to an extent)

- Adding a character that I help create permanently into the lore of the game.

- T-Shirt or Sweater that is exclusive for backers

- Maybe some computer hardware with the Crowfall artwork embedded into it

Just throwing out some ideas. 

It's gotta be said though, the women graphic is kinda surprising and a bit depressing. I'm obviously not a women myself but are there really only 5%? That seems REALLY low from the people I've heard it seemed like a fairly mixed group. When we had numbers that low it kinda makes me question why there was the push for female centaurs, or the newly made Confessor (female) as the new spokesperson for that archetype. If you looked at the website's archetypes you'd think the game was split 50/50 between genders, but it seems really small. Good thing some men like playing as female characters cause otherwise, finding something like a Female Knight or something might be really rare.

Mmm, data.  Geeking out here.

My takeaways:

• Our early-backer demographic skews older, busier, and wealthier than most games.
  • A huge slice of backers are likely "nostalgia backers" with less time for gaming than they previously had.  Even though they pledged, many won't have as much time to play as they would like.  Shallow progression curves and dying worlds likely had high appeal to this segment.
  • Education levels are abnormally high.  Complex gameplay (politics, economy, conquest) may have been a draw.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Interesting insight...My friends and I always felt that ACE's female representation has been pretty positive tbh, in terms of the female player character designs...They don't look as overly-sexualized to a ridiculous extent as they are in other games (no battle-bikinis yet, at most we have the Druid's slinky green gown and the assassins yoga pants), and they look to actually reflect the male's wardrobe in most cases.

In terms of the gods...well yeah, Zaleena and Cybele didn't really sell me, but then they are both meant to be seductive in different ways. Though I thought Yaga, as a Death, Judgement, and Sorcery God that was part of a Trinity, was probably the coolest and most interestingly designed God yet (at least, until yesterday...). However, clearly your perspective may be different from mine. It would be nice for Yaga to get some company in the Badass Women's department....what I don't really want to see is ACE take it a step too far and make an overcorrection by creating some Valkyrie/Amazon based god (battle-bra and all)...that I think has more potential to backfire

CS do you have an algorithm for all of the falsified info? That survey looked like a mess! I couldn't trust most of it. The only part that I'm sure is mostly accurate is the gender one and that was just sad. I know over all guys dominate the player base in competetive games but damn...that really sucks. Having a more diverse player group always adds to the over all enjoyment.

According to Steam I was born on January 1st, 1900. I'm sure the placement of each choice also had a large part of why some of the data was skewed. Especially since some people probably just spam clicked through it.

% of females surprised me too, but I think it has to do with this demographic being "early adopters of a pvp-focused game". I know once we get to later beta stages and have more guild participation we'll see a better :D ratio.

tiPrpwh.png

A couple thoughts-

If you still live with the parents its time to move.

If you live in a 14 person household you are probably a refugee and you have more important things than Crowfall to worry about.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

The % of females in the survey doesn't really surprise me.  You'll see a lot of confirmation bias articles about how even gaming is between sexes and/or genders.  What they never seem to investigate is what kind of games we are talking about.  Some games may have a much larger female population, others may have a much larger male population. 

Without breaking it down too specifically I will say in my personal gaming experience which is primarily PvP games it has never really been close to 50/50 population between the sexes and/or genders.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

s3cystG.png?1

Based on this graph, I get an average age of ~19,9. I didn't recalculate though and it may be incorrect.

Thanks for taking the time to recalculate. I was to lazy to do it my self, but just by looking at the graph you can clearly see that the average is not 29,9. 19,9 looks right and also makes 29,9 beeing a typo very likely.

Beeing from Sweden I was very happy to see that so many Sweds had responded. 159 people might not look that great. But when you consider that only 9 million people live in Sweden it's quite impressive. The population of Germany is almost ten times as big as the population of Sweden but they only had about twice as many respondands.

Archived