Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who are these people: 2015 Survey results, pt. 1 - Official discussion thread

Pann

- Crowfall definitely has a more mature audience than many games of generations past. ACE knows this well and is making design decisions accordingly. 

Isn't the average age 19.9?  I feel like this is actually younger than many of the mmos in the past at least, dunno about games in general.

I know EQ had something like 25-26 as an average age and WoW was like 24-29 depending when the surveys were taken. 

It would be interesting to find out the average age of the people who post on the forums... I bet it is a lot different than the average age of the people who took the survey.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re-posting for clarity:

Isn't the average age 19.9?  I feel like this is actually younger than many of the mmos in the past at least, dunno about games in general.

Thank you all for looking so closely at the data! You did catch a typo: the x-axis of the first graph did not update like the other two graphs. Everything else on the page was correct, but we did not get any responses from 3-year-olds. Both curves are combined on the third graph, and the x-axis is correct there. 

Here is how it should have looked. We will get the main slide updated soon. 

Reported_Age.png

The average age is 29.9. Not sure what it is on the forums--maybe we should do an informal poll?

- Crowfall definitely has a more mature audience than many games of generations past. ACE knows this well and is making design decisions accordingly. 

So no stupid grind for individuals (we already have a real job) and no pandering to the carebear crowd?

As much as this may be true on average, I would have to disagree based on the people I've interacted with on here.  Following things I've run into from people on here: I've been told that because I'm a PvE player, and this game is only for PvP players, I will fail and they act all high and mighty thinking they're better than everyone else.  This to me is not mature.  Second example, off this site in a group chat with members from this site, of the (about) 20 people in that chat, 12 objectified me (meaning the whole phrase of "breasts or gtfo") and made jokes about how since I am a woman, I would do no good, unless I honed my skills in game as a cook or something.  Of the remaining 8, only 2 stood up for me and the other (about) 6 kept quiet.  Yeah, this is real mature.  Lastly, they also told me I didn't belong with this game. 

Now I ignored all this, because they're immature brats who need to grow up, just thought I would give you some counter examples.  One thing is for certain:  I meet these people in game, I'm blocking them immediately.

And example of what I'm talking about with my first point of people acting all high and mighty because they prefer PvP:

So no stupid grind for individuals (we already have a real job) and no pandering to the carebear crowd?

And while it may be true this game caters to PvP, from what I've gathered, it also is open to those (like me) who prefer PvE.

No offense arkh.  I just really hate when people make these kind of comments.  I'm more directing my immature comments to the people who objectified me in a chat, not so much the PvP crowd. 

As much as this may be true on average, I would have to disagree based on the people I've interacted with on here.  Following things I've run into from people on here: I've been told that because I'm a PvE player, and this game is only for PvP players, I will fail and they act all high and mighty thinking they're better than everyone else.  This to me is not mature.  Second example, off this site in a group chat with members from this site, of the (about) 20 people in that chat, 12 objectified me (meaning the whole phrase of "breasts or gtfo") and made jokes about how since I am a woman, I would do no good, unless I honed my skills in game as a cook or something.  Of the remaining 8, only 2 stood up for me and the other (about) 6 kept quiet.  Yeah, this is real mature.  Lastly, they also told me I didn't belong with this game. 

Now I ignored all this, because they're immature brats who need to grow up, just thought I would give you some counter examples.  One thing is for certain:  I meet these people in game, I'm blocking them immediately.

And example of what I'm talking about with my first point of people acting all high and mighty because they prefer PvP:

And while it may be true this game caters to PvP, from what I've gathered, it also is open to those (like me) who prefer PvE.

No offense arkh.  I just really hate when people make these kind of comments.  I'm more directing my immature comments to the people who objectified me in a chat, not so much the PvP crowd.

I don't think you understand what the word mature means in this context.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

It might also be interesting to see the average age of people that crowdfund a game in general.  I imagine that for many reasons the average age would be a bit older relative to the average age of gamers overall.  That might have something to do with this data as well...

Again, as I said, not so much referring to PvP players as being the immature ones.  Unless they're acting like they're better than everyone else and demeaning others, which I've run into.  Calling someone carebear is borderline for me, because it is typically meant to be a derogatory term.  

Civility and maturity share a nuanced relationship that is heavily based on context.

Again, as I said, not so much referring to PvP players as being the immature ones.  Unless they're acting like they're better than everyone else and demeaning others, which I've run into.  Calling someone carebear is borderline for me, because it is typically meant to be a derogatory term.

You are a carebear, though.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Oh, here we go again. It's time for a reality check. ​Of course, I could simply blog personal anecdotes about women asking guild mates for pictures of their genitals or posting nudes with time stamps for certain in-game advantages on Reddit, but this would be too silly. Therefore:

​1) Your definition of maturity is wrong (including some other posters in this thread as well). It is often wrongly used as a synonym to "What I think is right" or "This is politically correct". The definition of maturity depends on culture, individual views and political ideologies.

​2) This game has built-in Trammel. This means you can PvE while being able to avoid PvP for the most time, assuming you play in God's Reach and Its rulesets.

​3) If you identify yourself primarily as a PvE player and engage in (forum-)PvP with players who only played PvP games their whole life, you will obviously get face melted off the map. This also applies to men. It's is a statement of fact.

​4) To continue 3), Women do not perform well in competitive games vs Men. If they chose to play these games, there is usually a compartmentalization, resulting in forming of women exclusive leagues or ladders. Very much like in real life. This is also a statement of fact with exceptions being a rarity. You're free to prove them wrong by competing.

​5) Objectification, like 1), depends on culture, subjective views and politics. In your case, it's more of an issue of lacking etiquette by said males during communication or your inability to take things like that with humor - depending on how some outside party may view this interaction.

​6) Judging someone by their readiness to stand up for what you view to be correct is not a valid argument, rather an appeal to moral chaos.

This being said, my view on maturity in this context is the ability to be able to chose the people you interact with​ and not to confront yourself with people you disagree with and in turn expecting the whole game community to roll out the red carpet for your personal views. ACE has already set a baseline code for interactions within the game and on the forums which should cover sexual herassment. Everything beyond that is personal politics. ​Let's not forget; this is a game, not a stage for political indoctrination.  

P.S.: In the past, we had women in our guild / corp who would 100% oppose what you've said and take things very differently. This underlines the subjective character of perceiving what is "mature" or not.

"Hardcore Casual"

Maybe it's an oxymoron, but maybe it's exactly why Crowfall is attractive.  I suspect we have a bunch of busy gamers who want a hardcore, immersive experience with not-so-much time commitment.  Thwarting Uncle Bob isn't appealing if you are Uncle Bob.  For the rest of us, hopefully Crowfall can capture the excitement of conquest without the obscene time commitments.

I'd buy that.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

"Hardcore Casual"

Maybe it's an oxymoron, but maybe it's exactly why Crowfall is attractive.  I suspect we have a bunch of busy gamers who want a hardcore, immersive experience with not-so-much time commitment.  Thwarting Uncle Bob isn't appealing if you are Uncle Bob.  For the rest of us, hopefully Crowfall can capture the excitement of conquest without the obscene time commitments.

I'd buy that.

In regards to an mmorpg, or any game for that matter, if it doesn't take some sorta serious effort or commitment, the experience becomes shallow and will not be immersive.  While I understand that timesinks and grinds are completely outdated as part of design, this is why I favor a serious skill curve.  Give people something to work at over time that doesn't equate to some sorta vertical progression based power.

Remove all of the excuses, make skill the most important factor, and then if anyone has a problem with that, they have only themselves to blame. 

Oh, here we go again. It's time for a reality check. ​Of course, I could simply blog personal anecdotes about women asking guild mates for pictures of their genitals or posting nudes with time stamps for certain in-game advantages on Reddit, but this would be too silly. Therefore:

LOLOLOL  :lol: 

1) Your definition of maturity is wrong (including some other posters in this thread as well). It is often wrongly used as a synonym to "What I think is right" or "This is politically correct". The definition of maturity depends on culture, individual views and political ideologies.

LOLOLOL  :lol:​ 

​2) This game has built-in Trammel. This means you can PvE while being able to avoid PvP for the most time, assuming you play in God's Reach and Its rulesets.

​3) If you identify yourself primarily as a PvE player and engage in (forum-)PvP with players who only played PvP games their whole life, you will obviously get face melted off the map. This also applies to men. It's is a statement of fact.

​4) To continue 3), Women do not perform well in competitive games vs Men. If they chose to play these games, there is usually a compartmentalization, resulting in forming of women exclusive leagues or ladders. Very much like in real life. This is also a statement of fact with exceptions being a rarity. You're free to prove them wrong by competing.

​5) Objectification, like 1), depends on culture, subjective views and politics. In your case, it's more of an issue of lacking etiquette by said males during communication or your inability to take things like that with humor - depending on how some outside party may view this interaction.

6) Judging someone by their readiness to stand up for what you view to be correct is not a valid argument, rather an appeal to moral chaos.

About maturity. No offense but using your gender to gain sympathy points is not being mature.

It is the internet. I could be a dog typing randomly on a keyboard and you would not know. If you want to "not be objectified" just don't try to use your gender to get an advantage: stay anonymous.

Being a woman in a domain historically populated by male nerds is like shooting fish in a barrel with a grenade launcher. So don't get defensive when those nerds use what they learned during their bad years: use your opponent insecurities to custard with their head. It is a PvP oriented game. The PvP crowd will do anything to get an advantage. Slander you, spy on your guild, plant people there to steal your poorly made socks and destroy it from the inside, hack your TS to disable communication during war, social engineer you to get access to your private forum. That's how you win a realm PvP game.

If you think I'm anti women in gaming, just try and join KGB in the games we're currently playing. You may be surprised by the percentage of female voices and their current rank.

"Hardcore Casual"

I'd buy that.

It could be easy to do. Make the grindy parts of the game a guild thing: crafting, building cities. And let any character use any item at full strength from day 1.

So if you have little time but a good guild with awesome logistics, you can get geared and PvP one or two hours, participate in sieges and resources capture. But if you have more time you can "work" for the guild, harvest, craft and trade.

The advantage is that 2 years down the line anyone in a guild can setup a friend easily with his own gear. Then they just have to learn to play.

People will leave the game after some time. You want people to be able to join and not feel like they'll have to grind 3 or 4 months before being on equal footing with other players. That's what killed DFO.

Archived