Find results in...

Who are these people: 2015 Survey results, pt. 1 - Official discussion thread

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today, we’re presenting a bit of information from the Crowfall survey. This first part of the series is all about those who answered the survey.   FULL STORY

I'm a bit surprised too! Though to tell you the truth, most of the hype/marketing for the game so has probably been more male based?   I mean, I mostly backed it for the centaurs. >_>   (Par

Thank you all for looking so closely at the data! You did catch a typo: the x-axis of the first graph did not update like the other two graphs. Everything else on the page was correct, but we did not

What it does mean is you don't teabag them when they are down. You don't insult someone's skills, beliefs, or personality. You don't camp their spawn point just to be a jerk (camping to prevent reinforcements or what not is another story and fully acceptable). Etc. This type of player, despite being a small portion of the PvP crowd, is why so many people are terrified of PvP. The only one who benefits from this type of behavior is the player doing it.

0/10

Would tbag until uninstall.

gCWxS8u.jpg

What it does mean is you don't teabag them when they are down. You don't insult someone's skills, beliefs, or personality. You don't camp their spawn point just to be a jerk (camping to prevent reinforcements or what not is another story and fully acceptable). Etc. This type of player, despite being a small portion of the PvP crowd, is why so many people are terrified of PvP. The only one who benefits from this type of behavior is the player doing it.

If this would be even remotely true, books like 50 Shades of Grey wouldn't be so successful.

If this would be even remotely true, books like 50 Shades of Grey wouldn't be so successful.

An individual reading a book or watching a movie is a different topic entirely. 

Reading a book is an opt-in private experience. Only the reader and the book are involved and books don't have feelings :P

For example:

Person to book: RAR! I will break your spine!

Book: No reaction

;)

Silliness aside, you can do whatever you want in private as it only effects you. MMOs are not private.

Now, if you are using that comparison to say it entertains bystanders at the expense of individuals, it would be much simpler to say you are advocating in favor of bullying. You are fully entitled to that opinion and if that's how you feel there is no need to further discuss the topic.

Silliness aside, you can do whatever you want in private as it only effects you. MMOs are not private.

Now, if you are using that comparison to say it entertains bystanders at the expense of individuals, it would be much simpler to say you are advocating in favor of bullying. You are fully entitled to that opinion and if that's how you feel there is no need to further discuss the topic.

​Stop generalizing. For some players, no matter if they're the active or the passive part, it's humor. For some it's a nuisance. Some don't care at all. And for others it's horror.

​Just because you fall into the last group, don't act as some form of ambassador for humanity as a whole. Where is the problem in you saying "I don't like it, it terrifies me, because I don't have a thick skin, but others might not care at all." - that would be closer to the truth.

​Stop generalizing. For some players, no matter if they're the active or the passive part, it's humor. For some it's a nuisance. Some don't care at all. And for others it's horror.

We have both previously said that different people have different stances so generalizing is not an issue. 

We can't repeat every point every post as that just floods the forums and kills other discussion.

Though if you insist, the quoted statement is the type of argument most often used when people are attempting to justify bullying or other disrespectful behavior.

:P

​Just because you fall into the last group, don't act as some form of ambassador for humanity as a whole. Where is the problem in you saying "I don't like it, it terrifies me, because I don't have a thick skin, but others might not care at all." - that would be closer to the truth.

I previously said something similar in post 132. I even went so far as to say some people need to toughen up while others need to lighten up. 

In fact it was the paragraph before the one you quoted in your 50 shades reply.

My skin is plenty thick. ;)

I would fall into the "people who consider it a nuisance" category.

I'll be completely brutal with friends (and them to me), but that's in a private game where we know its cool, not on a public MMO where there might be people who don't like it. We respect that other people might have comfort levels which differ from our own and know a game is for everyone, not just for us. 

Despite my own enjoyment of the topic, we are getting into the realm of repetition and no longer contributing to the thread as a whole, so we need to wrap it up.

Though our individual stances have been addressed many times over at this point. I'll put mine into a single blurb and encourage you to do the same. 

As these are opinions, everyone reading this thread can agree or disagree with either but that can't call either of us wrong.

"Regardless of your own play style, Crowfall is marketed as a game where you get to choose your level of PvP risk. As it is a public / social game, you should be respectful of different people's comfort levels. Go ahead, lie, murder and steal, but don't be a jerk unless you know the target is comfortable with it. Crowfall is play to crush, not play to discomfort. The survey will help everyone understand the playerbase and what sort of behaviors and experience they expect from the game."

Editing my final statement to clarify what Jah asked below.

Edited by ledeir

Go ahead, lie, murder and steal, but don't be a jerk unless you know the target is comfortable with it. Crowfall is play to crush, not play to discomfort. The survey will help everyone understand the playerbase and what is, or is not, acceptable."

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "don't be a jerk unless you know the target is comfortable with it."

I can only presume you don't mean lying, stealing, and murdering. That is core functionality. It would be like expecting people to make sure you are OK with it before capturing a pawn in a game of chess. That would be nonsense.

So what do you mean?

And I don't expect the survey to answer anything about what is acceptable in game. The survey will show what people are thinking, but it will not define the game in any way. It may show someone doesn't want to lose, but that doesn't mean it won't be acceptable to win. That too, would be nonsense.

IhhQKY6.gif

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "don't be a jerk unless you know the target is comfortable with it."

I can only presume you don't mean lying, stealing, and murdering. That is core functionality. It would be like expecting people to make sure you are OK with it before capturing a pawn in a game of chess. That would be nonsense.

So what do you mean?

And I don't expect the survey to answer anything about what is acceptable in game. The survey will show what people are thinking, but it will not define the game in any way. It may show someone doesn't want to lose, but that doesn't mean it won't be acceptable to win. That too, would be nonsense.

Excellent question Jah! I should have considered not everyone has been following the rather lengthy exchange :)

Anyone who doesn't understand that PvP means there will be all of the above probably didn't do enough research on the game as it was advertised as PvP.

Here is my original quote that sparked the discussion:

"Your PvP ends where my feelings begin" (another person's interpretation of my stance) - Honestly, Yes

That doesn't mean you can't go around slaughtering people without mercy. That doesn't mean you can't go around robbing people blind. That also doesn't mean you can't go backstabbing your "allies". If a person has a problem with this, they can choose a safer campaign (or toughen up).

What it does mean is you don't teabag them when they are down. You don't insult someone's skills, beliefs, or personality. You don't camp their spawn point just to be a jerk (camping to prevent reinforcements or what not is another story and fully acceptable). Etc. 

(obviously you CAN do all that if you know the victim is cool with it)

And you have another excellent point! I chose my words poorly at the very end and will clarify (here and editing the original post). I should have said something to the effect of the survey will suggest what type of behavior / experience the community expects in the game.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Edited by ledeir

What it does mean is you don't teabag them when they are down. You don't insult someone's skills, beliefs, or personality. You don't camp their spawn point just to be a jerk (camping to prevent reinforcements or what not is another story and fully acceptable). Etc. 

Those "guidelines" you are suggesting for what is appropriate in this game are unrealistic. People are going to do those things.

If ACE adds emotes, people will use them how they like. If ACE doesn't want us emoting over your dead body, they are going to have to code that restriction in.

If ACE makes spawns camp-able, people are going to camp them. Trying to determine whether they did it "to prevent reinforcements" or "just to be a jerk" is basically impossible.

While I am personally not a fan of the standard, "you suck" insults, they are going to happen. I would recommend you see them as low-quality In-Character roleplaying rather than actual Out-of-Character abuse. It represents how their character feels towards yours. Even if that is not even true, you are better off treating it that way.

The only things that will not be "ok" in Crowfall will either be coded to be impossible, or specifically prohibited in the in-game CoC.  Everything else is fair.

IhhQKY6.gif

Those "guidelines" you are suggesting for what is appropriate in this game are unrealistic. People are going to do those things.

The only things that will not be "ok" in Crowfall will either be coded to be impossible, or specifically prohibited in the in-game CoC.  Everything else is fair.

Thank you for being respectful of my opinion even while deeming it unrealistic!

Of course if enough of the community decides its realistic (which I doubt on the forums at least), then it becomes realistic through player policing. ;)

I agree, if they are possible in game, there will be some (hopefully a minority) who do them. That is even if it is explicitly banned by in game CoC.

I also agree, as long as they can be passed off as poor RP its not really a problem, its a matter of magnitude really.

A 5 minute insulting rant after being told "hey, that's not cool" is not cool. Some offhanded comments here there, poor RP.  

I'm hopeful those players will naturally gravitate to other tiers which leads me to another thought.

How do you, and others, feel about different levels of moderation / CoC in the different campaign worlds? 

A MUD I used to play attempted that, I don't think their attempt succeeded, since they did it backwards, they added a paywall to get to the free for all world. 

Crowfall is already segregated by risk though, perhaps it would work in their design?

Like Jah pointed out, the forum has an ignore function, which will most likely also be implemented in the game.

So if you are a person easily offended by words, that is an option you have to silence people.

We could save a lot of time and effort by just /ignore when someone is ranting at you.

Thank you for being respectful of my opinion even while deeming it unrealistic!

Of course if enough of the community decides its realistic (which I doubt on the forums at least), then it becomes realistic through player policing. ;)

I agree, if they are possible in game, there will be some (hopefully a minority) who do them. That is even if it is explicitly banned by in game CoC.

I also agree, as long as they can be passed off as poor RP its not really a problem, its a matter of magnitude really.

A 5 minute insulting rant after being told "hey, that's not cool" is not cool. Some offhanded comments here there, poor RP.  

I'm hopeful those players will naturally gravitate to other tiers which leads me to another thought.

How do you, and others, feel about different levels of moderation / CoC in the different campaign worlds? 

A MUD I used to play attempted that, I don't think their attempt succeeded, since they did it backwards, they added a paywall to get to the free for all world. 

Crowfall is already segregated by risk though, perhaps it would work in their design?

I hope there is an absolute ton of that. I fully believe animosity leads to the best pvp. What you currently find so often in mmos, the: let's erp, then fight, then give each other handies, is boring AF.

Doesn't bother me as long as I get to play with as little moderation as possible.

gCWxS8u.jpg

Not going to happen, ever. Right now, they say you're allowed a few things in-game compared to the forum rules, like 'taunt'. We all know what this means:

haha, you evil Sir you! I will defeat you so hard you'll be pleased to Player versus Player with me again.

With utmost respect and in love,

- fellow player

*shakes hands, throws kisses*

p.s.: don't report me. I really like you.

p.p.s: seriosuly, that's no offense. I respect you.

p.p.p.s: I-I.. err.. I screen capped this for my own security. for your information.

p.p.p.p.s.: hmm.. can you give me that sword back? Please?

Real taunting will be sacked, along with your player account, even if it's via PM.

Edited by Qbs

Sorry, but player policing really wont exist in terms of you getting griefed. That's not how PvP games work. You will get griefed, someone will camp you, someone will say mean things to you. This is the nature of things. No one will save you. 

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg