Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Effects of Teaming on Testing

valor

One of the biggest changes that ACE talked about contrasting Hunger Dome 1.0 from 1.1 was their allowance of pre-made teams.  While I and many others are big supporters of pre-made groups, I'm curious whether this is going to increase or slow down their ability to test their combat.

When playing solo, you are forced to play more on an island and you pick what class you like the most and just hope your team aren't blind.  With grouping, players are going to start building team compositions and more likely sticking to their roles.  This could also lead to people not pushing the capabilities of their archetype because they are now filling more of a role on a team.

Any other thoughts on how pre-made teams might change testing results?

[EDIT] As was requested by puddledux, here's the VOIP for people wanting to find groups for Alpha 1.1 testing: http://www.gamevox.com/QGY3-4AC

Edited by valor

I feel like testing is meant to test the absolute limits and potential problems.  When you add a carrot on a stick like "winning" a game mode people start getting distracted from testing a bit... throw in premades and it becomes even more about winning.  I am sure there is plenty of data and certain trends they can observe anyway. 

I don't think it will be a big problem though, sure there will be people who gravitate towards making premades with whatever is determined to be the most OP composition, but the good players almost always try to test the limits of each character to learn the ins and outs of the game and what kinda next-level stuff can be utilized anyway. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

all legionnaire groups...

you heard it here first!!

and it's not like people are actually testing anyways...

noone actually found a bug in 1.0... they just happened

Edited by freeze

With the numerous statements from the dev team about how they are balancing for team based combat not 1v1, I see this as an improvement. 

I was going to have a small rant about how the aspect of winning each game is more detrimental to true testing, but Viking beat me to it.

Edited by zachdidit

I think overall it'll be better for testing because it'll more match live game situations. In the live game you'll have times when you're with your group and other times when you run solo and join up with randoms. No doubt a player might change how he plays based on the situation but to me that's a good thing for testing as situations we will encounter in live need to be tested in Alpha/Betas first.

One of the biggest changes that ACE talked about contrasting Hunger Dome 1.0 from 1.1 was their allowance of pre-made teams.  While I and many others are big supporters of pre-made groups, I'm curious whether this is going to increase or slow down their ability to test their combat.

When playing solo, you are forced to play more on an island and you pick what class you like the most and just hope your team aren't blind.  With grouping, players are going to start building team compositions and more likely sticking to their roles.  This could also lead to people not pushing the capabilities of their archetype because they are now filling more of a role on a team.

Any other thoughts on how pre-made teams might change testing results?

I do agree with you to certain extent but a main goal of testing isn't testing the capability of the player to play the character but the problems with features such as teaming. Plus experiencing and constructing your own coordination gives a whole different feel to the game. Pros and cons to every style of gameplay but it doesn't affect the main goal of testing i believe.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

its a very important part of the game to be able to make sure there matching/lobby system works think of arena style pvp u need to be able to party up and lobby its very important part of the game to test

Hey just Shout Bremmen and he will, Rise and Destroy the people you wish decimated :o

Premades could actually help focus the testing. The idea is to push the limits of the servers and each Archetype right? So you get a few friends together and come up with the cheesiest win strategy and then execute it. Maybe it works, maybe not. At the very least premade groups carrying out their strategy to win is closer to what the game will eventually become.

It's gonna suck for those who don't have friends on Alpha 2. Mine for example, mainly bought stuff like Alpha 3 packs or Beta 1s so I'm basically alone. The team situation is good for those who know how to work together. Not only will some of the new Alpha 2 people need to learn "How to play" but also "Where to find players to make a team"

It's gonna suck for those who don't have friends on Alpha 2. Mine for example, mainly bought stuff like Alpha 3 packs or Beta 1s so I'm basically alone. The team situation is good for those who know how to work together. Not only will some of the new Alpha 2 people need to learn "How to play" but also "Where to find players to make a team"

I've updated the OP with information on the gamevox server that many from the last test used.  Feel free to hop on, there will be a few guilds represented.

Jump in valors gamevox thing, doesnt take long to setup and everyone there was chill from my experience.