Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/22/15 - The Crowfall Universe, Economy/crafting & Raph Koster!

OK, I am done.  Take my money now.

I love crafting!!  This is my wet dream!!  I am so excited after reading through all of that that I just need to leave work now go home and go to bed.  My day is done.  It can't get any better than this!!!

There is so much to think about with what has been said so far it's mind boggling.  To top it all off Thralls...... /falls out of chair

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

And this is exactly why this idea won't work. Unique recipes seem like a cool idea on paper, then reality sets in. Not only that but you set huge power gaps between those who have and the have nots.

No, not necessarily....

The server could be set up so that if you do not login the game in let's say 1 to 3 months then your char forgets all special recipes and they are rereleased into the world.

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Great to see some of the best minds behind this project =) 

My thoughts on the crafting and degrading items/gear, will this also apply to player built structures? (presuming your going to incorporate player made homes/cities like we had in SWG). 

Now it comes down to "how quickly" will weapons/armor degrade and what modifiers will be part of that process? 

For example, I am a melee character and as as result I receive consistantly more direct damage, while my counter part is a ranged character using their bow or casting spell from the luxury of distance, thereby receiving very little or no direct damage against them.

How will this be balanced so that your melee characters will not be hosed on upkeep, repair costs and overall replacement costs for their gear compared to the ranged classes?

I like the idea of allowing NPC's to repair gear / items, but using them would take a heavier chunk out of their durability in comparison to using a player crafter who is better skilled with repairs, thus lowering the durability loss and allowing the item be used a little longer in comparison. I believe we had something similar to this in early SWG, because I remember fondly having the ability to fix the weapons I made for others, or they came to me with other weapons to fix.

Experimentation of items similar to what we had in SWG is VERY appealing and something I would love to see returned and possibly enhanced.

So much to discuss and give feedback on, looking forward to some great discussions!

And this is exactly why this idea won't work. Unique recipes seem like a cool idea on paper, then reality sets in. Not only that but you set huge power gaps between those who have and the have nots.

Besides, it doesn't make sense for someone to go through all the steps needed to "reinvent the wheel" and not get a wheel.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

So when me and my friend first invented almost exactly this crafting system over a year ago, we decided to make two overall categories of materials. The mundane, such as iron wood steel ect. And then "gem quality", mythrill, platinum, Imadethisupium. Ect. The distinction between the two sides would be the mundane bonuses would be grounded in the physical ie. Physical damage increase, speed of the weapon, crit chance. ect. As shown in your chart above. The gem quality is more susceptible to holding magical charges and to be enchanted.  

This is why a soldier would want a well balanced steel blade, and a priest or a a mage would be walking around with a useless ornate jewel encrusted cerimonial dagger that would fall apart if it was struck against something, but its crackling with magic power. That and magic items everyone uses like rings and necklaces and things that are handy.

I love where you are going with this game thus far and I hope your keep this in mind ;)

P.S.  you can have jewel quality wood too, like rare or specially prepared ones for staves and wands !.

Great to see some of the best minds behind this project =) 

My thoughts on the crafting and degrading items/gear, will this also apply to player built structures? (presuming your going to incorporate player made homes/cities like we had in SWG). 

Now it comes down to "how quickly" will weapons/armor degrade and what modifiers will be part of that process? 

For example, I am a melee character and as as result I receive consistantly more direct damage, while my counter part is a ranged character using their bow or casting spell from the luxury of distance, thereby receiving very little or no direct damage against them.

How will this be balanced so that your melee characters will not be hosed on upkeep, repair costs and overall replacement costs for their gear compared to the ranged classes?

This might be true in PvE, but in PvP you'll be fighting against real people, and we can be very clever compared to an AI. Everyone stands equal risk in a well-designed game when fighting smart opponents. Besides, Heavy Armor is much more durable than leather or cloth armor, by its very nature.

I like the idea of allowing NPC's to repair gear / items, but using them would take a heavier chunk out of their durability in comparison to using a player crafter who is better skilled with repairs, thus lowering the durability loss and allowing the item be used a little longer in comparison. I believe we had something similar to this in early SWG, because I remember fondly having the ability to fix the weapons I made for others, or they came to me with other weapons to fix. Maybe so, but this looks unnecessarily complicated to me. Repairs up to a practical point are much easier to do than design and creating the item.

Experimentation of items similar to what we had in SWG is VERY appealing and something I would love to see returned and possibly enhanced.

So much to discuss and give feedback on, looking forward to some great discussions!

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Interesting. 

I look forward to seeing the Centaur animations.  Can we kick?
Can we burrow as the mole dude?  

:P

It's called Crowfall because calling it "The Hunger Game of Thrones" would have raised too many issues.

As someone who played Star Wars galaxies as a crafter for 5 years, Its wonderful to finally see another game that could bring crafting as a profession back. Maybe this could even change the raid based MMORPG culture somewhat, give the players as chance to make the best gear ;)

More like Eve. the entire point of the first two illustrations is "this universe is not like WOW."

In fact: 99% of the time, when I say the words " not like a traditional MMO", I'm saying "not like WOW".

Todd

Mmmmmmmm. Carebear tears. They taste so sweet on my tongue.

So I just found this game today....

The hype is real....

I wanna play so bad!!!        :D  :D  :D

Everyone has to die someday. But what they believed in will never fade away as long as someone protects it. Once you've resolved to take on those principles, no matter how much blood and tears you shed, you follow through with it! That's what it means to be a knight.

I am pleasantly surprised and I will be looking forward to upcoming information releases, I like the concept for the crafting system, and world design.

But more information on territory control how PvP or GvG plays into it would be more than welcome.

My concern is resource control. If the best materials for crafting are located in a specific territory, the players that control that territory gain an advantage.  

If the means of taking, claiming, and holding that territory is simply a numbers game, or it becomes a matter of first come first serve, it could be a real problem for the game as it develops, unless if that's the focus of the game.

One of the big problems of open world territory control is how do you balance it to take into account player / guild play styles and multi regional guilds. Night capping and the need for 24 hour coverage will have a huge impact on how territory fights play out, and the sizes guilds that can participate in territory control to a meaning level.

So here's to hoping for more information soon!

Nice, you have to focus on the carebears first. Let's be real, so long as there's people to kill and loot, the pvpers will come.

My excitement for this game grows daily.

This implies only the wrong sort of PvPers will show up... the ones that want to avoid a real challenge ;)

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Pretty much everything I wanted in crafting. So now I definitely have a reason to play. And all I can say is....

ITS ABOUT custard TIME.

Thank you so much for not being the typical mmo sheep developers that keep making the same boring poorly made socks.....

If I want to make a cloak, that has a base of chainmail, and covered in frog skin, I should be able to. And I am so glad that (from what I've read) the crafting system will be at least semi-complex so that I can actually help the world. I want to be that guy with his own shop in the middle of nowhere, paid for the land, paid for the construction, furnished the place, and setup shop. People would come to me from all over just to buy my items because they are so amazing and unique. I want to be that guy that no one attacks because my poorly made socks is just too good to waste a friendship on murder and stealing, and when someone does attack my, my guild will assault them a new one.

I also like the thrall thing, where if I craft a blacksmith hammer, and then put into it the soul of a famous dead crafter, that items crafting ability could rise.

I have always dreamed, of being a crafter first, and an adventurer second, so much so that my weapon skills are based off hammer skills, so that not only do I level up my hammer skill from battle, but from crafting as well. Thus I may end up with some skills normal hammer users wont have because they aren't crafters, and crafting skills other don't have because I use hammers. Another example would be a rogue like player, using knives, they come to me to make special skinning knives, and although they are used for skinning creatures and (maybe even) people, they use those same knives in battle, unlocking special skills for them since they are both skinners as well as knife users. This would bring in yet another dynamic to the game, where you can either have skills that compliment each other, or things that don't, but no matter what you are going to have a fun time playing the game!

I am slowly becoming more excited, I don't like the idea of forced permanent pvp, but who knows, maybe it wont be so bad....... I assume the game is pay to play, and thus there will be less trolls picking on noobs who literally just started playing, so instead their focus will be on established players with more to offer your time killing them.