Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/22/15 - The Crowfall Universe, Economy/crafting & Raph Koster!

You just have to play a full loot game to understand. Equipment just hasn't the same importance it has in other games.

THIS, gear is not so much important in a full loot game, you can easy replace it thanks to crafters, you guys have a wow themepark mentality where gear is everything and crafting is nothing but a secondary role.

If you guys can't accept this easy concept then this game is not for you and Ralph, Todd and Gordon said numerous times.

Archduchess Alice

OK, fine. I’ll tell you. The Dying Worlds are filled with Thralls. They are basically the souls of fallen warriors and craftsmen, left behind and awaiting judgement before they can move on to the afterlife.

If you capture a Thrall, you can shortcut that process and bind them into your items. Todd likes to reference the demon imbedded inside Stormbringer in Moorcock’s Elric series, as a narrative example. 

If you bind a Thrall into your item, the properties of the item change in certain ways. I like the idea of a Smith’s Hammer that has the trapped soul of a Dwarven Forgemaster bound within it, and that his skill and life experience is being used to make that hammer stronger and more precise with every swing.

That’s probably about all I should say about it for now, except, remember: the system was designed to create reasons to seek out and interact with other players.

Or, you know, kill them and take their stuff.  That works, too.

So a question - is collection of Thralls to feed your guild crafters a PvE effort?  Or are the "souls of fallen warriors and craftsmen" created when players kill players (PvP)?  I think both could be easily incorporated into the game, but the PvP option is really exciting, especially if more powerful or high rank (King!) players have a chance to drop better quality Thralls.

rSHxVEY.gif

SUGGESTION TO DEVS : I have had this idea for awhile now, I think you need to give the TRUE crafters a reason to stay for longevity purposes. I think there needs to be recipes or something that once found by a crafter that he/she is the only crafter in the world that can create that recipe. It would give crafters a reason to stay long term, and it also could help the power struggle as each guild/kingdom would want this crafter on their side. I posted this ahwile back using an example of finding a rare wheat seed that could create a special bread that gives a boost to player or even kingdoms, and that crafter is the only one that knows how to grow that seed. A lot of times I have noticed in the past that crafters wouldn't stick around long term. I am talking about the true crafters of these games, I am not one of these.

That's a really cool idea, Sarin.  The implications are a bit strange (because the tree would have to be MASSIVE, so that the game isn't ruined by natural turnover causing all the good recipes to be "locked" and unusable) but it's cool.  I can think of a few solutions to that off the top of my head, though, like treating it like a patent, the lock only lasts for a limited time, or you could "share" the recipe with other players.  We had a system like that on Chaos MUD, called "arcane lore."  if you found a rare spell, you could teach it to other players.  some of the spells were incredibly closely guarded, because once you shared it with someone else, you couldn't control who THEY shared it with.

Fertile ground for design exploration !

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Distinct server as in,  you pick your "home" server. Meaning it is distinct in that you picked that server. Than beyond that is another so many servers connected to your home server that you can travel to ( most likely will be load screens here, can't see it seamless ) with every server having different terrain, map layout etc etc

That make sense?

Alright haha I think I've made this more complicated than intended.

All I want to know is will it be like WoW or will it be like EVE.

What you've just said leads me to think it will be more like WoW as you don't pick a server in EVE, everyone is part of the same persistent world.

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

That's a really cool idea, Sarin.  The implications are a bit strange (because the tree would have to be MASSIVE, so that the game isn't ruined by natural turnover causing all the good recipes to be "locked" and unusable) but it's cool.  I can think of a few solutions to that off the top of my head, though, like treating it like a patent, the lock only lasts for a limited time, or you could "share" the recipe with other players.  We had a system like that on Chaos MUD, called "arcane lore."  if you found a rare spell, you could teach it to other players.  some of the spells were incredibly closely guarded, because once you shared it with someone else, you couldn't control who THEY shared it with.

Todd

ACE

Perhaps procedurally generated crafting recipes could work? (Kind of like how rogue-like games make their dungeons)

This is going to make so many people ecstatic, you have actually accomplished a game for everyone.

*Buzzer*  Wrong.  A LOT of people don't want full player looting.  *I* do, but to claim it's for everyone is a blatant inaccuracy.

After having read the article on MMORPG.com, I am dumbfounded to finally see a crafting system that uses "component types" instead of "specific components". (Single Example, the 3 metals, 1 cloth, 1 leather recipe).

Didn't play Star Wars: Galaxies, didja?

Edited by rhone

What you've just said leads me to think it will be more like WoW as you don't pick a server in EVE, everyone is part of the same persistent world.

It's both, I think.

Ok so you pick a server on WoW, Argent Dawn. At some point you will find portals, one of which will take you to Bleeding Hollow. The two servers will be different though, not mirror images of each other.

More like Eve.  the entire point of the first two illustrations is "this universe is not like WOW."

In fact: 99% of the time, when I say the words " not like a traditional MMO", I'm saying "not like WOW".

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Todd

ACE

teaching system sounds interesting

// oh and btw, really good reading here, nice stuff. Dalgoth, Vorringia, Aerynth mapsets confirmed, lol.

Cant wait for more! Hype is real!

Edited by kopko

Todd

ACE

What if you could 'steal' the recipe (even if it's not a real item) from the dead corpse of the crafter? And make the lock work only when he is online. So if he is not online the lock doesn't work and if he is, he needs to be real careful. -- Just a thought really :)

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

THIS, gear is not so much important in a full loot game, you can easy replace it thanks to crafters, you guys have a wow themepark mentality where gear is everything and crafting is nothing but a secondary role.

If you guys can't accept this easy concept then this game is not for you and Ralph, Todd and Gordon said numerous times.

I don't play a full loot game, my only experience is EVE. If you get killed in EVE some of your gear is blown up, some remains to be looted. I mean you still end up losing everything you had if you die, (unless of course you go back and scavenge what was left) just the person who killed you isn't guaranteed everything you had. Which is a good system, speaking from experience.

More like Eve.  the entire point of the first two illustrations is "this universe is not like WOW."

In fact: 99% of the time, when I say the words " not like a traditional MMO", I'm saying "not like WOW".

Todd

Woo! Thanks for clearing up, that's what I had gathered from the illustration as well. It's just what I read after that that confused me "We still have distinct servers" because EVE doesn't in that sense.

Todd

ACE

I agree with what you are saying. I was thinking of the consequences of let's say a crafter quites playing etc. Something an internal timer on the recipe would work as well ( 15 days of not being used, the crafter unlearns it) than get's thrown back into the drop pool sort to speak. There are various ways you could make sure the recipes don't get thrown into a ever gone dark pool of nothing :). My main idea is to have a system to keep those very dedicated long term crafters playing along side me for a long time :)

Edited by sarin

Todd

ACE

Or in addition, if i kill someone with a rare spell or a rare armour, i can bring the loot to my crafter and he can discover the recipe (or extract materials trough salvaging) and share with his guildmates, or sell to other players around the world. :)

Is possibile to add as primary profession the explorer or cartographer along with the treasure hunter? Or the mercenary that can be hired trough a town board, or a pirate, etc... the things you can implement to have so much playstyle are infinites. :)

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

I could be way wrong here, but my thoughts are if this is based on "holding territory" and seiging, we will need to have a home base ala server. However, maybe internally the system will know this and it won't be seen by us, Either way the logic is the same,  will just be a matter of how "we see it"

I see Todd cleared it up after I posted this :) .. I think in the traditional sense we still have a "home" world if I understand it correctly. We just don't see it in a list at creation, if that makes sense : /

Edited by sarin

Wow, sounds a lot like the crafting system, in the latest Dragon Age game, whereby different raw materials give different stats and qualities to the finished product.

So far IMO the Devs are holding up to their "something different" and its not just Dev speak.