Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/22/15 - The Crowfall Universe, Economy/crafting & Raph Koster!

I don't play a full loot game, my only experience is EVE. If you get killed in EVE some of your gear is blown up, some remains to be looted. I mean you still end up losing everything you had if you die, (unless of course you go back and scavenge what was left) just the person who killed you isn't guaranteed everything you had. Which is a good system, speaking from experience.

I prefer full loot with damaged gear, what you wear is what i loot, but instead of broke on death, it decay based on a RNG factor (for example if the durability of your helmet is 70% when you die it can drop to 30~60%).

So i can decide to wear it or bring it to my guild master crafter and salvage it to extract materials and recipes. :)

But when you die you have to lose everything you wear, gear and backpack, and respawn naked (near your bank).

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

Any other SB player read the mmorpg.com article and scoff at the sentence indicating an Elf Blademaster?  

"What?! F'n elves can't be Blademasters... Humans, Shades, Aelfborn. Everybody knows that... pft." 

Edited by cools

This looks sooo epic! The crafting system looks so good and complicated. Also the idea that players have to carry resources back and forth between the castle/stronghold from the place where the resources are, it would be nice if you could raid them while they were travelling and take the loot to your stronghold. Anyone else like that concept?

Or in addition, if i kill someone with a rare spell or a rare armour, i can bring the loot to my crafter and the can discover the recipe and share with his guildmates, or sell to other players around the world. :)

Is possibile to add as primary profession the explorer or cartographer along with the treasure hunter? Or the mercenary that can be hired trough a town board, or a pirate, etc... the things you can implement to have so much playstyle are infinites. :)

Just have to be careful the game doesn't create a atmosphere, where crafters are hunted down constantly as a mini game. In the past 10 years it has been hard to keep dedicated crafters around and true to what they do. I like the idea, but I just feel it would create a system where they are hunted constantly thus leaving to the same problem, dedicated crafters leaving and quitting the game. 

Now, I am not saying there shouldn't be any risk to the crafters, but loosing a rare recipe like I suggested should be a very very hard feat to do for the non crafter. I really like the idea Todd had where the crafter could choose who he could pass  his crafting wisdom onto :)

This looks sooo epic! The crafting system looks so good and complicated. Also the idea that players have to carry resources back and forth between the castle/stronghold from the place where the resources are, it would be nice if you could raid them while they were travelling and take the loot to your stronghold. Anyone else like that concept?

AA had this system, the problem with AA it wasn't a true open PvP sandbox enviroment. It also gave a artifical disadvantage to the person carrying the pack ( making them slower ). 

Trade runs like AA here fits perfect into this game so far from what I see, as long as it is a open PvP system ( if seiging is open, trade runs like this need to be open )

Also no artifical advantages or disadvantages needed as well. Excited!

I am delighted to (finally) reveal our ongoing collaboration with Raph Koster.  For those of you not familiar with Raph, he is one of the most renowned and experienced MMO designers in the world.  He was the lead designer on both Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies from inception through launch; two games which really "set the bar" for crafting systems in a virtual world. 

Raph also literally wrote the book on game design (...or at least he wrote *A* book on game design.  It's called A Theory of Fun, and it's required reading for anyone who wants to create games.)

If you are curious what we've been up to with Raph, here is an interview with Thomas Blair (design lead on Crowfall) which gives an excellent a look "behind the curtain" of one facet of the crafting system: the system for refining Metallic Alloys.

Raph Koster and Thomas “Blixtev” Blair in addition to the current team makes this an unstoppable force! Raph Koster is one of the people that I have respected the most in gaming. Raph Koster is the reason I originally heard of Play2Crush and Crowfall so I was hoping that he was going to have something to do with it in some capacity. I couldn't be more thrilled with this post. Day Life = Made

Edited by noobzilla_youtube

This game sounds amazing.

It sounds like there carrying over the resource system from swg, slicing in the form of enchanting, and AAs and CAs in the form of Thralls.

Don't forget to check out the MMORPG.com article if you haven't yet, there's some serious hints dropped in the article.

Wow. Good content drop. Nice to see the crafters being given a great crafting system, the explorers given different worlds to explore, and the conquerors given several worlds to crush.

Honestly, I'm such a noob I thought that those resources would just be in your pocket and you'd get the bonuses just from carrying them. Figured that would inspire people to carry resources, providing a reason to kill someone, and giving a partial loot reward.

As to the master crafter idea, the recipe wouldn't have to be entirely unique (the hope in the interview is to keep the recipe tree not so large), just the item itself. People go nuts over the way a sword or piece of armor looks. The master crafter could maybe be the only one to produce a certain looking armor line or a certain looking sword/axe/hammer etc. Sounds silly, but people notice that stuff. They'd cross worlds just to have a sword that may have the same stats as everyone else's but doesn't look the same.

AA had this system, the problem with AA it wasn't a true open PvP sandbox enviroment. It also gave a artifical disadvantage to the person carrying the pack ( making them slower ). 

Trade runs like AA here fits perfect into this game so far from what I see, as long as it is a open PvP system ( if seiging is open, trade runs like this need to be open )

Also no artifical advantages or disadvantages needed as well. Excited!

Yep, trade runs were the one (and only) thing I really enjoyed in AA. Would be great if Crowfall had some of that too.

Yep, trade runs were the one (and only) thing I really enjoyed in AA. Would be great if Crowfall had some of that too.

I used to live in my wagon, but I got tired of FLYING BOTS ruining the commerce %s on every run. **** AA and **** every company which don't care about cheating/hacking/botting/exploiting/whatever.

I hope ACE handles this problem correctly, because is one of the most serious and game-breaking problems.

Edited by innadril

Todd likes to reference the demon imbedded inside Stormbringer in Moorcock’s Elric series, as a narrative example.

And I, in turn, like this kind of reference. So. Much.

Wielding Stormbringer... *mad anime eyes* Alluring...

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I used to live in my wagon, but I got tired of FLYING BOTS ruining the commerce %s on every run. **** AA and **** every company which don't cares about cheating/hacking/botting/exploiting/whatever.

I hope ACE handles this problem correctly, because is one of the most serious and game-breaking problems.

The exact reason I only made it a little over a month in AA. The whole safezones and safe times where bs as well though on top of it. Goes back to the risk vs reward thing. 

Trade runs would work perfect in this game, but for different purposes. More in the sense of building up city defenses etc or creating seige equipment

Good stuff, I've been saying for years the best mmo system for both pvpers and pvers is one that combines real time strategy, 4x and the board game RISK.

PVEers are the resource gatherers, monster hunters, crafters, miners, farmers, citybuilders, explorers etc There are always more PVErs in mmos so of course they will have more roles to play.

PVPers are the military

Without one you cannot have the other so thus you must make them dependent upon each other and in each others best interests to help.

Make the game about -Nation versus Nation- and voila a game for everyone because Nations need everyone to work.

Ranger3.jpg

As a major merchant in between PvP/Politics, this update makes me drool. Comprehensive and in-depth economy/crafting, CHECK. Now I just need a confirmation of proper open PvP system with quality conquest/city system and I'll all signed up with all my limbs.

Dev's keep it up and...

post-36434-Tyrion-Lannister-cheers-gif-d

All these UO guys involved, we really can bring back the "living breathing world" :)

Never even played UO. But the fanbase behind it was massive. It's what every MMO was compared to (at least when I started gaming) and from what I've read, no player from UO ever found a real home. You're coming home UO!