Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/22/15 - The Crowfall Universe, Economy/crafting & Raph Koster!

This is going to be nice!

My goal is to become the DoorStep Delivery for all raw materials in this game, with muscle of course.

The Blackwater of supplies.

It was pretty awesome in SWG that a style of play evolved for the "resourcer" who was a player who scoured the planets for the best materials and sold them to the crafters who were too busy crafting to find the resources. 

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

It was pretty awesome in SWG that a style of play evolved for the "resourcer" who was a player who scoured the planets for the best materials and sold them to the crafters who were too busy crafting to find the resources. 

Mmmmmm the only game I ever got involved deep into the crafting system. I was one of those scouring the planet! So much fun, if  this truly is anything like that I may even hang up my daggers :)

Just what I love to do as my main source of income, besides keeping up prices up by stocking, limiting market quantity and reselling for profit ;)

We had a system like that on Chaos MUD, called "arcane lore."  if you found a rare spell, you could teach it to other players.  some of the spells were incredibly closely guarded, because once you shared it with someone else, you couldn't control who THEY shared it with.

Fertile ground for design exploration !

Todd

ACE

Please tell me you have similar magic system in mind for this project. Make me happiest person on God's green Earth.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I'm hoping that different worlds will simply work like "continents" in what would other be one seamless world map.

I assume that from a design point it would be much easier to get a truly massive world without a need of dropping it all on one map.

Just have to be careful the game doesn't create a atmosphere, where crafters are hunted down constantly as a mini game. In the past 10 years it has been hard to keep dedicated crafters around and true to what they do. I like the idea, but I just feel it would create a system where they are hunted constantly thus leaving to the same problem, dedicated crafters leaving and quitting the game. 

Now, I am not saying there shouldn't be any risk to the crafters, but loosing a rare recipe like I suggested should be a very very hard feat to do for the non crafter. I really like the idea Todd had where the crafter could choose who he could pass  his crafting wisdom onto :)

Valid concern, but from picture I gathered that materials first transported to a safe place under protection of warriors. I presume crafter will be doing his stuff in safety of fortified stronghold. Few can hunt crafter there.

It will depend heavily on resource gathering system. Again, guilds protect their crafters, so... Not that easy to gank.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Can someone point me to the inventory quote? I missed that.

In the last image on the right, you can see an example of the inventory. Some of the items take up more than one slot, presumably dependent on size or value.

Can someone point me to the inventory quote? I missed that.

Can see in the screen shot in the OP. There two items that take more space than one slot. Can see what looks like wooden planks that take up two slots and another item that takes up 4 slots.

I'm hoping that different worlds will simply work like "continents" in what would other be one seamless world map.

I assume that from a design point it would be much easier to get a truly massive world without a need of dropping it all on one map.

It's really not that much different from the rune gate system that took you to Oblivion or Maelstrom. It was teleportation. Could you swim or fly there? Yes, but no one really did.

I am really interested in the traveling between worlds, the crafting does peak my interest, but gateways to other lands is great stuff.   Looking forward to hearing more about traveling to other worlds and what can be claimed on the other side :D