Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/22/15 - The Crowfall Universe, Economy/crafting & Raph Koster!

You guys weren't messing around when you mentioned increasing the level of detail in the content drops.   

I really like all players on a single server, but multiple worlds.     Hopefully the world layout allows for more open maps (ala SWG) rather than everything funnels through a bunch of tiny chokepoints, which never seems to work well in full loot games (not saying there cant be some).  

Also really happy to see a complex crafting system,  hopefully the material count will be high enough to make exploring/gathering a profession as well (my preferred profession!).    

Please tell me you aren't going to announce in 33 days that we are still a year or two off being able to play this!  I'm not sure I'd be able to wait that long.

Edit:  Just saw ThomasB's post on the "resourcer" -  Hype level just went up an extra notch for me!  

Edited by quavis

We still have distinct servers -- but and the worlds are unique.  How unique?  VERY unique.  In fact, the the maps are different from one world to the next.  Mountains, forests, rivers, lakes.  And these worlds are dynamic; they're made to change based on player actions.  We'll cover more about that later.

Question - I think we all understand that the political and strategic (city sieging) metagame will influence the map on a large scale. 

What about on the small scale?  Will a voxel-based technology be used?  When I swing an mining pick, will the ground deform as I chase a vein of ore?  Can player spellcasting leave craters?

rSHxVEY.gif

Please show me where it was said that the game will have full unconcentuall PvP enabled everywhere. "Focusing on pvp" and "PvP will be enacted" does not imply having no areas excluded from PvP.

And Controversy will persist until there is an official word regarding the PvP mechanics.

It's pretty much given it's not a DayZ without ANY safe locations. You'll pretty absolutely sure have starting zone that won't have PvP (ala SB Newb Isle) and some hub cities around the world (Khar, Sea Dog's Rest). So YES, you will be able to sit and not be attacked in certain locations, such as I listed, but pretty sure EVERYWHERE else your ass will be exposed to someone's dagger or a club.

Please show me where it was said that the game will have full unconcentuall PvP enabled everywhere.

Only MMO boards I've ever seen people come up with words for PvP without consent. Granted, the four letter word we'd normally use R... is moderated. But if you log in....you consent. Are we going to need a Special Victims Unit in Crowfall? (watch someone use that as a guild name now)

I don't think anyone's thought about this...but it looks like there will be multiple opportunities to be Kings/Queens since there will be different shards. Perhaps even possible to have multiple ones in the same Shard but in different lands?

Curious to see how that works. Can't be King/Queen of the whole world. While conquerors should have that opportunity, I'd assume if there's not something hard coded like realms, maybe there's some mechanic that you eventually end up conquering through force, politics, or wealth swathes of land that come under your control that can be lost in the same manner.

I don't think anyone's thought about this...but it looks like there will be multiple opportunities to be Kings/Queens since there will be different shards. Perhaps even possible to have multiple ones in the same Shard but in different lands?

Well I for one assumed there would be at least 13 Kings/Queens, as there are 13 crests shown on the Cryptic Tree, and the example of the fealty system had all individuals members of a single crest and the top spot was King.

rSHxVEY.gif

I'm all for an in-depth meaningful crafting system as long as they don't neglect the PvP or other mechanics to do it.  Please dev responsibly, don't drink and dev.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

It's pretty much given it's not a DayZ without ANY safe locations. You'll pretty absolutely sure have starting zone that won't have PvP (ala SB Newb Isle) and some hub cities around the world (Khar, Sea Dog's Rest). So YES, you will be able to sit and not be attacked in certain locations, such as I listed, but pretty sure EVERYWHERE else your ass will be exposed to someone's dagger or a club.

Very well put.  This is a great explanation.

cmurder%20sig_zpsaq2rwphh.jpg

Did anyone else notice the STR ratings next to the ore amounts?  I'm thinking this indicates how much STR it requires a person to have to be able to carry that much ore on their person, and is cumulative.

A crude example:  If you have 10 STR, and ore X is .5 STR per unit, you can carry 20 ore units (not accounting for equipped or inventory items).  This would also make caravan's, as depicted in the concept art, necessary.

I'm on the hype train.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

That's a really cool idea, Sarin.  The implications are a bit strange (because the tree would have to be MASSIVE, so that the game isn't ruined by natural turnover causing all the good recipes to be "locked" and unusable) but it's cool.  I can think of a few solutions to that off the top of my head, though, like treating it like a patent, the lock only lasts for a limited time, or you could "share" the recipe with other players.  We had a system like that on Chaos MUD, called "arcane lore."  if you found a rare spell, you could teach it to other players.  some of the spells were incredibly closely guarded, because once you shared it with someone else, you couldn't control who THEY shared it with.

Fertile ground for design exploration !

Todd

ACE

I have always loved this idea -- the concept of recipes or even active skills that are unique to a subset of players and teachable would be a great 'living' feature in a world. In the 'real' world not everyone has access to everything like they do in a themepark, and making recipes and potentially skills into a commodity has always been something of a 'dream' feature for me in a game.

I'm really interested in the way you folks are headed.

Only MMO boards I've ever seen people come up with words for PvP without consent. Granted, the four letter word we'd normally use R... is moderated. But if you log in....you consent. Are we going to need a Special Victims Unit in Crowfall? (watch someone use that as a guild name now)

Curious to see how that works. Can't be King/Queen of the whole world. While conquerors should have that opportunity, I'd assume if there's not something hard coded like realms, maybe there's some mechanic that you eventually end up conquering through force, politics, or wealth swathes of land that come under your control that can be lost in the same manner.

I know some people are concerned over the whole "faction" system in place. Because then there won't be "player-created" factions. But they've said that guilds will happen. I just don't see why they wouldn't allow you (or Guild) to be King. Especially with full loot (or partial, but something is getting taken), and the in depth crafting system. There's already so much sandbox, that I just can't see them "screw it up" by hard coding the players into factions.

I really think the Factions are just a starting point for players.

I think ideally you would have one fuedal system per map ( 1 king etc ), that leaves for a constant power struggle on each map, than also a power struggle to gain control of other maps/servers as well if capable. It seems in theory it would be a decent checks and balance type system from preventing 1 kingdom / guild becoming a zerg over powering force through out the whole server cluster. 

Mainly you would have internal conflict to deal with and exterior as well.

Did anyone else notice the STR ratings next to the ore amounts?  I'm thinking this indicates how much STR it requires a person to have to be able to carry that much ore on their person, and is cumulative.

A crude example:  If you have 10 STR, and ore X is .5 STR per unit, you can carry 20 ore units (not accounting for equipped or inventory items).  This would also make caravan's, as depicted in the concept art, necessary.

I'm on the hype train.

Also, there's crit and power... It's because of how the "additive" system works. You add this additive to your crafting tray and it gives you a special attribute associated with hit. That and Thralls.

Player looting confirmed.

The video actually reveals a LOT more then they have in any of these posts combined.  Listen to what they are saying and read between the lines, especially when Ralph is holding up that primitive drawing.

HfLOYLH.png

I know some people are concerned over the whole "faction" system in place. Because then there won't be "player-created" factions. But they've said that guilds will happen. I just don't see why they wouldn't allow you (or Guild) to be King. Especially with full loot (or partial, but something is getting taken), and the in depth crafting system. There's already so much sandbox, that I just can't see them "screw it up" by hard coding the players into factions.

I really think the Factions are just a starting point for players.

I agree, I think its more cosmetic/lore etc than hard lined :)

I am pretty sure that is one of the main reasons they are setting up server clusters like they are the inter travel. Resources and sieges.

Caravans and regional resources without instant traveling, is amazing. *-*

Sir Tood please just a word about the combast system, will not be tab targeting right? Y or n? Just a letter to placate my frustration. :D

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

:D This. Seriously, what people expect? I fail to see why some people whine about PvP. You know when you start a shooter they will shoot at you, right? Why the hell it is so difficult with MMORPG?

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I think ideally you would have one fuedal system per map ( 1 king etc ), that leaves for a constant power struggle on each map, than also a power struggle to gain control of other maps/servers as well if capable. It seems in theory it would be a decent checks and balance type system from preventing 1 kingdom / guild becoming a zerg over powering force through out the whole server cluster. 

Mainly you would have internal conflict to deal with and exterior as well.

Yeah, I can't wait for a little more information on how that system will play out. Is there a possibility that you can be a King/Queen on multiple servers? The guild would have to be HUGE to span across worlds like that and be able to defend the castle(s). 

But then, what's stopping everyone to just "jumping on the bandwagon" to the bigger guilds? 

I don't know. I know people are going to hate this suggestion, but I would like to see a max size to guilds to prevent that. But I doubt it, it really doesn't even make sense, I've had other guild just break off into separate #versions in other games like that. So how to balance it properly so we aren't seeing IamPuffGuild#1, IamPuffGuild#2, etc.... hmmm