Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

01/22/15 - The Crowfall Universe, Economy/crafting & Raph Koster!

Did anyone else notice the STR ratings next to the ore amounts? I'm thinking this indicates how much STR it requires a person to have to be able to carry that much ore on their person, and is cumulative.

A crude example: If you have 10 STR, and ore X is .5 STR per unit, you can carry 20 ore units (not accounting for equipped or inventory items). This would also make caravan's, as depicted in the concept art, necessary.

I'm on the hype train.

This would be same as UO. You'd often have crafters travelling with 2 pack horses in tow to carry all the ore/leather.

With all those instruments in Mr. Koster's study, I'm now expecting this game to come with High-Def audio, and every crafting action we undertake comes with some serious audio clips he's recorded!

The resource economy looks wonderful.  It is going to create a lot of reasons for interaction, trade, commerce, black market activity, and so on, all of which the player base will have to sort out without the game telling them what to do.  Love it.  

Perhaps the Cryptic Tree is the list of the 13 server/worlds/shards, and the biggest one at the top is the biggest world, offering the greatest rewards (and risks) for those who aspire to be the ruler.  Each world, being unique, likely offers unique resources.

I tend to prefer the system of resources being generated by passive NPCs from buildings we make in our cities, which can be attacked and raided, along with the supply lines and trade routes.  I'm not that excited about running around gathering from resource nodes as a character.  But, maybe that's just because I don't like doing it, and it remains a necessary "vocation" to supply those materials for those who do like to do it.

The video actually reveals a LOT more then they have in any of these posts combined.  Listen to what they are saying and read between the lines, especially when Ralph is holding up that primitive drawing.

Yeah, that drawing said a lot. Resource Base, highly sought after defensible base, harvesting, death respawn base....Outposts far away, here if you die, you have to regear and run back to the fight.

"THE MORE YOU ARE WINNING, THE LESS ADVANTAGE YOU HAVE" That's a pretty epic quote.

There's a lot in that 30 seconds we still don't know!

Edited by Xcomvic

With the Caravan picture, I'm wondering if the "factions" isn't perhaps the same idea as the "lore-restricted" servers in SB.  I.e.: we see in the caravan the "badger," the centaur, and what looks like some kind of druidic archetype.  All of them certainly could exist within something like a "Nature-centered" faction.  The faction limits the type and variety of archetypes and promotion-classes available to them.  As an entity (we'll call it a guild for now), you choose a certain faction, and you are limited to only the relevant types to add to your guild.

I understand this is not highly desired by some, because they feel it imposes an arbitrary limitation on player desire: "But I want to play x, and your guild won't let me, so this game design is stupid."  

I always enjoyed it, because it made choice a little more meaningful, and it added a depth of immersion for the lore-junkie like myself.  

I could see many ways to mitigate this, but it is getting too OT for this thread, I think.  Can't wait to hear more!

Yeah, that drawing said a lot. Resource, highly defensive, harvesting, death respawn, base....Outposts far away, regearing.

"THE MORE YOU ARE WINNING, THE LESS ADVANTAGE YOU HAVE" That's a pretty epic quote.

I like it...since way back near the beginning I stated in a thread that I hoped they expanded the SB mine system to all resources and the guilds have to compete for them (Mines for ore and minerals, Forests for wood, Farms for cloth and grains, Ranches for meat and leather), then either have a instant draw system like SB or have their guildies go out and cart the stuff back for their in guild crafters, or use to sell, or use for an indie crafter. No more killing rabbits for fur or running around with a pick to individually mine ore.

Edited by gauis

I wonder if character/guild names will be unique as Todd said the way the worlds/server will work will be more like EVE.

Also in regards to character names what do you guys think of first names and (optional) last names to help with the inevitable "sorry that name is already in use" problem that will eventually occur.

There's only room for one Boss. And one Snake...

I was excited before but now I am actually quivering with excitement.  Fells like I'm 5 on Christmas eve waiting on Santa Claus!  OMG OMG OMG.  It really does look like there IS something for everyone!  Please tell me I don't have to wait years to play this game!

Maria Lightheart

6 worlds? Sure that would be enough?

Six is more than enough, especially with this "niche" game. Anymore and it may be too empty feeling. Depends on the map sizes of course. 

I wonder if character/guild names will be unique as Todd said the way the worlds/server will work will be more like EVE.

Also in regards to character names what do you guys think of first names and (optional) last names to help with the inevitable "sorry that name is already in use" problem that will eventually occur.

Hmmm, I don't personally see a problem with people having a surname after your given name. Especially since technically, there are a million Mikes and Todds in the word with different last names.

Hmmm, I don't personally see a problem with people having a surname after your given name. Especially since technically, there are a million Mikes and Todds in the word with different last names.

Surname system would be helpful if all characters would be connected to the same account.

On the other hand it would hinter spying/infiltration style of play.

I wonder how that "The more you are winning, the less advantage you have" is going to work though.  Is that on an individual basis or when it comes to sieges?  I know if I am destroying people 1v1 all the time, I am not sure I want to be gimped based on my skill, but in sieges it would make more sense so one "nation" or "faction" or whatever doesn't end up taking over all the worlds.  This is definitely looking very cool though, I love the multiple worlds being tied together concept, the resource/crafting system sounds awesome as well, sounds like there are many combinations of armor and weapons that can be made, and the Thralls..  That sounds cool.  I wonder though, if we are just going to have 1 character per account...  It would be nice to have multiple toons that way one person isn't stuck crafting everything.  I like playing all aspects of a game, in CSGO I'm a rifler and a sniper (awper), because just doing one is boring after a while.  When I played Runescape (yes I know) as a little kid, I loved to mine and smith, but I was also a combat junkie so when I would burn out on one I could go do the other to relax and recover.  With that said I really hope I can make PvP toons, but at the same time make a crafting toon so I can craft stuff on a different toon while not wanting to PvP.  That would also allow for other "nation" or "Faction" members to do the same and specialize in a different craft style, that way there isn't just one person crafting everything and not getting to PvP.

But anyways, while the graphics kind of bummed me out at first appearance, the second appearance was much better looking, with that and the ideas they are throwing out right now, I can only imagine what they have in store for next week.  The hype is real, I am excited as the rest of you.  And it is nice the content drops are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, makes me look forward to something during the middle of the work week :).  Keep it up guys, this is looking f-ing amazing.

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

So happy to finally see Raph back on an mmo!  Yay, welcome back!

Read the MMORPG article on crafting.  Was all well and good and sounds a lot like SWG crafting, which was excellent in terms of economy, amount of items, rarity, individuality and all that.  Looking forward to having that back.

But... the one thing that the article didn't really address is the one thing that really is missing in most MMO's crafting - challenge.  Yes, the SWG system included "challenge" in the sense of collecting the right components, but the actual ACT of crafting something - in most MMOs is just a matter of clicking "combine components".   This to me is the major reason why all these arguments exist about "crafted loot vs. dropped loot".   Because there is no skill involved in the actual creation of the item.  Because the world worst crafter and world's best crafter can get the same components, click the proverbial "combine" button and get the same item.  There have been some evolutionary pieces to this - like the "experimentation" process of EQ2, or the Diplomacy process of Vanguard (which had nothing to do with crafting, but is a notable example of how actual PLAY SKILL can be incorporated in a non-combat activity). 

Until it takes 10 crafters working together, supporting each other using gameplay skills (reaction, strategy, etc.) to overcome a challenge - with a high chance of failure if they lack skill - until this type of thing happens, there will always be the argument that stuff that a crafter produces should never be as good as something that 10 adventurers working together produce (drop).    

So what i want to hear is whether the actual combine process will take more skill than simply picking out the components.  THAT, combined with the breadth of swg-type component system would make for truly amazing crafting.

Surname system would be helpful if all characters would be connected to the same account.

On the other hand it would hinter spying/infiltration style of play.

Wow, you are a genius. I would love to see a surname applied to the account. Then if you REALLY were that desperate to spy on others, you have to do it very creatively and with style. You can't just guild hop. Your whole mission is to be the undercover agent for as long as your guild needs you to be. That, or you can buy another account (Devs get more money!)

@ video ..raplh says "regear before they get there"

comn full loot sweetiepie!

Edited by Xcomvic
Inappropriate Content

@ video ..raplh says "regear before they get there"

comn full loot sweetstuff

I went from 6 to midnight.

From a windsock on a calm day to one in a category 5 hurricane.

Edited by Xcomvic
Quoted an edit, so I had to edit the quote:)

b7xcsz.jpg

So happy to finally see Raph back on an mmo!  Yay, welcome back!

Read the MMORPG article on crafting.  Was all well and good and sounds a lot like SWG crafting, which was excellent in terms of economy, amount of items, rarity, individuality and all that.  Looking forward to having that back.

But... the one thing that the article didn't really address is the one thing that really is missing in most MMO's crafting - challenge.  Yes, the SWG system included "challenge" in the sense of collecting the right components, but the actual ACT of crafting something - in most MMOs is just a matter of clicking "combine components".   This to me is the major reason why all these arguments exist about "crafted loot vs. dropped loot".   Because there is no skill involved in the actual creation of the item.  Because the world worst crafter and world's best crafter can get the same components, click the proverbial "combine" button and get the same item.  There have been some evolutionary pieces to this - like the "experimentation" process of EQ2, or the Diplomacy process of Vanguard (which had nothing to do with crafting, but is a notable example of how actual PLAY SKILL can be incorporated in a non-combat activity). 

Until it takes 10 crafters working together, supporting each other using gameplay skills (reaction, strategy, etc.) to overcome a challenge - with a high chance of failure if they lack skill - until this type of thing happens, there will always be the argument that stuff that a crafter produces should never be as good as something that 10 adventurers working together produce (drop).    

So what i want to hear is whether the actual combine process will take more skill than simply picking out the components.  THAT, combined with the breadth of swg-type component system would make for truly amazing crafting.

I'm guessing that you haven't thought through just where you get the thralls needed in the crafting...

You and/or your friends have to go kill another player or players to get the thralls. Killing players is a lot more challenging than killing an AI Mob in a raid.

Wow, you are a genius. I would love to see a surname applied to the account. Then if you REALLY were that desperate to spy on others, you have to do it very creatively and with style. You can't just guild hop. Your whole mission is to be the undercover agent for as long as your guild needs you to be. That, or you can buy another account (Devs get more money!)

Aye, I wouldn't mind it either way, and having a same surname for all characters would provide for some "family" like relations in that fealty system.

Either way I generally have more than one account ;)

Aye, I wouldn't mind it either way, and having a same surname for all characters would provide for some "family" like relations in that fealty system.

Either way I generally have more than one account ;)

When Shadowbane was still P2P I had 5 accounts.  So I'm with ya there!

cmurder%20sig_zpsaq2rwphh.jpg