Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
McFear

MMO that doesn't mean dependency on groups?

That's basically what I'm referring to when I say the key is to make grouping easy.

If people cannot even try certain content because they have a hard time forming a group for it, then clearly devs have failed in that regard.

However, if you can log on and get in a 40 people raid in <10 minutes and then complete the encounter to most people's satisfaction, then having a 40 people raid is not an issue.

There are, of course, gameplay considerations based on the size of groups you design for. But again I'm only trying to convey that, almost without exception, an emphasis on grouping is superior to an emphasis on solo-ability.

I can agree that making it easy to group helps with my issue of depending on lucky guilding. I just don't like swearing in front of my kids about the 5 useless PUGers that ruined the entire raid I spent 2 hours waiting to play. How do you feel about scaling content to the size of the group?

I can agree that making it easy to group helps with my issue of depending on lucky guilding. I just don't like swearing in front of my kids about the 5 useless PUGers that ruined the entire raid I spent 2 hours waiting to play. How do you feel about scaling content to the size of the group?

I think there will be a tendency for players to gravitate towards a "most efficient/easiest" group size. And most pugs will run that size. If you want a different size you will probably have to rely on friends or guild. So overall, an extensive scaling system will probably be pointless, because the vast majority of people will only run it with one size group.

Difficult PvE encounters will be difficult to form groups for. If I had an answer to make forming meaningful groups easy for hard encounters, I would be a game designer instead of what I currently do. =p Although I don't think the proposition is impossible.

Hope it's group based and non-instanced stuff, all open-world. Bring the MMO genre to it's original meaning. Please. p.l.e.a.s.e. *sorrows*

5roh8Km.png

If I were to truncate the question I'm seeing to "Hey, I'm a solo player, am I doomed?" The answer I'll give right now is "No, you're not." 

I've spent much of my MMO career causing havok on my own, contributing to the grander picture. Ultimately though, there are things you can just do more effectively with allies. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I was one of the first 100 beta testers in SWG (Leppy The Fat MonCal of Leppy's Lounge and creator of CoffeeB33r with PowerTripper... man that was a long time ago.)

cRcraNX.png

;)

Back when I was a young Entertainer... taking down names of wannabe jedis so I would know who to hunt later when I was to become a BH.

Good to see you here!

No they don't. From the OP:

"Many social beasts like to say that MMOs are for people who want to play together, otherwise what's the point of having multiple players. The obvious answer to that question is that I want to play AGAINST many players in either a competition similar to PvP or as simple as progression competition pitting my ability to PvE against the rest of the world. As soon as you tell someone like me that I have to conform to a guild schedule in order to get more than 50% out of a game, I'm done. And the many silent thousands of gamers like me are gone without ever saying why."

Online games are not just about multiplayer, but about socialization as well... if you are against both of these things, as I said, single player games do the rest of what you want perfectly.

You can't have your cake and eat it too... and if you can, that means the game is failing on any of its goals.

zjsbjmn.png

Online games are not just about multiplayer, but about socialization as well... if you are against both of these things, as I said, single player games do the rest of what you want perfectly.

You can't have your cake and eat it too... and if you can, that means the game is failing on any of its goals.

I can assure you that single player games do not hold the same value for solo players as MMOs. Just like an artist who hangs his artwork on his wall at home doesn't get the same feeling as when his work is on display at an art gallery. You say MMOs are not JUST about multiplayer, which indicates that you acknowledge that they are to some degree about multiplayer (Which goes without saying). My standpoint is that MMOs do not have to force people into socialization through gating content whether it be large group requirements that give elite guilds the only access to the best parts of the game or some other grouping requirement. If I have a small circle of friends... Ok, lets say a triangle of friends :P  I still want to be able to enjoy the whole game without suffering the PUG life.

I understand, you disagree and feel that only people who conform to the 200 member guild life and schedule their life around that guilds schedule deserve to experience the end game. I am expressing the other side of the story.

cRcraNX.png

;)

Back when I was a young Entertainer... taking down names of wannabe jedis so I would know who to hunt later when I was to become a BH.

Good to see you here!

*slides a coffeeB33r down the bar

"This ones on the house!"

I want to play an mmo where if on a day I feel like playing with others in groups, I can choose to make friends and be nicey nicey with the common folk...

On other days when I want to solo PK and grief people for hours on end, I want to be able to go out and roll those same people that I was nice to just minutes before.

I want to play an mmo that allows this and doesn't have a problem with me doing it.  Not that I'm a douchebag or anything - it's just my way of RP I guess.

Shadowbane was the only way I've ever had this kind of experience in an online game.

I want to play an mmo where if on a day I feel like playing with others in groups, I can choose to make friends and be nicey nicey with the common folk...

On other days when I want to solo PK and grief people for hours on end, I want to be able to go out and roll those same people that I was nice to just minutes before.

I want to play an mmo that allows this and doesn't have a problem with me doing it.  Not that I'm a douchebag or anything - it's just my way of RP I guess.

Shadowbane was the only way I've ever had this kind of experience in an online game.

That sounds alright.

But when a game is solo and group, in my experience it usually ends up being...

There's a set of solo activities you have to do for advancement in some areas. Then there's a set of group activities you have to do for advancement in other areas. So in the end everyone loses because people who want to group are forced to endure some solo activities, and people who want to solo are forced to endure some group activities.

If I were to truncate the question I'm seeing to "Hey, I'm a solo player, am I doomed?" The answer I'll give right now is "No, you're not." 

I've spent much of my MMO career causing havok on my own, contributing to the grander picture. Ultimately though, there are things you can just do more effectively with allies. 

That's good to hear.

I wrote earlier today one of my deal-breakers is 'soloer unable to achieve anything'.

Thing is I do not want that even for me. I like good team and I revel in such gameplay. But let's face it - you cannot always find a good team. Let player be an assassin carrying out hits. Let him be a mage that journeys in search of arcane knowledge or a lone knight. Do not force him to group with anyone. Make the world big and meaningful enough for single person as much as big collective. Place for anyone and everyone.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Last I checked while groups ran around zerging each other in SB, us scouts n thieves seemed to know each other by name.

also there was a few scout wizzy two man teams that used to give hell to entire groups.

I solo'd with a hunty(dotress) all the time, and ran with a bard for rune fights...my mine claimer was a highcon birdy scout...I ninja'd many mines under the nose of two + fighting groups.

all this boo hoo whining about groups and solo...lifes not fair...you are only dependant on groups if your afraid.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I feel much better now. Thank you  :)

24px5oh.jpg

Players should be able to be lone wolves if that's their preferred style of play, but players who want to benefit from associations made with other players in the community should be able to pursue that course as well.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

Freedom of choice.  That is what I hope for.

I have played the guild life and I enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, at this time in my life I do not have the time to devote to a guild.  So I solo.  Cant play in a guild if you cant be there when they need you.  Also, if you want to do something that requires a guild to accomplish, you only have a few hours a day when everyone is on to do so.What do you do the rest of the day? 

"this is a game for teams. Now that you're on the beta list, you might want to invite a few friends. You're going to need them."

Seems pretty direct. 

I hope there will be some aspects that can be done solo for times we want to play but don't have friends on, but I expect it's mostly team/guild based, as it should be.

For those saying "but I don't like people.  i want to do everything solo", what's the point of a multi-player game?   I've seen this in other MMOs -- a handful of players demanding the game be dumbed down so they can solo everything.   Sorry, that's not going to happen, because if it does it's going to suck for the other 95% who want a real multi-player experience.

Edited by 0beron

I'll say one thing....maybe 2 idk:

You cannot balance content (if they have any, or what kind it is) for both solo and group based. Unless it scales but that has almost never worked so far.

If you play solo, you should have the ability to do things that groups do, but with much increased difficulty. 

I'll say one thing....maybe 2 idk:

You cannot balance content (if they have any, or what kind it is) for both solo and group based. Unless it scales but that has almost never worked so far.

If you play solo, you should have the ability to do things that groups do, but with much increased difficulty. 

Yes, that's 2 things :) 

On the first thing, I agree as soon as you say "Unless it scales". Just because others have failed at doing it doesn't mean it can't be done. I have had a gaming experience in MMOs where it wasn't scaled and it was soloable, but it wasn't dungeons and raid instances. So maybe they can just take a new look at how their content could be presented.

On the second thing, I don't disagree.

Good input, thank you!