Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rajah

concern about the combat

A bunch of RPer's that did silly crap like practice infantry line formation tactics...

Who knows, that might not be so silly in a game with collision detection and friendly fire!

rSHxVEY.gif

Who knows, that might not be so silly in a game with collision detection and friendly fire!

It was pretty silly in DFO, Might not be in CF. We are probably many months away from the first siege-like battles happening. Will be fun to find out.

Took much too long to kill people when I was playing the other night. Should also be a 'combat on' function so people would be reduced to a walking state when at lower health.

Game of Thrones meets Eve Online.

EK doesn't make it game of thrones as having isolated campaigns don't reassemble Eve's sec system or economy.

If you didn't realize by now that this is simple marketing, I can't help you any further, comrade.

Edited by Qbs

They not only defended successfully, they acquired more through some sieges and bullied more into joining them. They certainly didn't sneak 26 holdings on the first day. It was more like 10-12 for their whole alliance.

Everybody thought their on the field fighting skills (outside like SotA) were a joke, and just kind of laughed at them. But despite that they weren't just surviving but were growing.

Nothing else would have gotten the rest of the server to band together against them. A lot of the clans that did weren't exactly best buds. The fact that they did proves that people saw them as a threat.

My group joined the goon led coalition to help bring Hyperion down, and left pretty much as soon as that was accomplished. We then moved to NA as soon as it opened instead of waiting to transfer, so we didn't really participate in world war 2.

Crowfall servers are going to have win conditions or expiration dates. If DFO had a win condition of 20 holdings (which was a huge chunk of all available ones) Hyperion would have officially won. If the time ran out before WWII had started, the goons probably would have officially won.

There isn't going to be a long tail where the server pop breaks 100 on a good day, and a big siege is 20 vs 30.

Hyperion was considered a joke even before the game launched.

I dunno if anyone ever saw them as an actual threat. The fact that they got picked on, was because they were weak.

Just an fyi for you: WW2 ended months before the NA server even opened up.

And no, neither hyperion nor goons won anything, because, there were no win conditions in DFO and noone who played the game, played it as if it had win conditions. That's not how MMOs work(ed). There are periods in the game where you have dominant guilds/alliances. Context is very very important though. None of your two "winners" ever managed to do anything without outnumbering their opponent by a huge margin, which eventually made them a laughing stock of the game.

And I have no idea what your numbers at the end of the post are supposed to mean.

Like I said, we left after WW1, didn't participate in WW2. Once we had decided to reroll on NA instead of wait for transfers we didn't play nearly as much. There wasn't any point to continuing the atrocious grind.

My whole point is Crowfall does have win conditions. Which means those laughing stock zergs have a very real chance of winning.

But back to the original point of the thread, if the skill cap is so low right now, why do the same group of people keep winning the hungerdome?

But back to the original point of the thread, if the skill cap is so low right now, why do the same group of people keep winning the hungerdome?

a low skill ceiling doesn't mean there aren't good/bad players... all it means is that the difference between those players is small

Edited by freeze

a low skill ceiling doesn't mean there aren't good/bad players... all it means is that the difference between those players is small

Legios have a distinct advantage in the closing moments of the hungerdome due to their knockback.

In 1.0, there were a few other people that played a lot of legio and consistently made it to the scrum at the end, yet Oberon almost always came out on top.

It wasn't a revolving door between the 3 best legios, it was Oberon over and over.

That doesn't happen with small differences in skill. That only happens if the difference between Oberon and the "2nd-tier" legios is significant, which means the difference between Oberon and the bottom of the barrel is huge..

Took much too long to kill people when I was playing the other night. Should also be a 'combat on' function so people would be reduced to a walking state when at lower health.

No thanks.  Too many games make it impossible to disengage combat in this manner.  I quite like the frustration having to give on a chasing an elusive target, or making a 1v4 an actual possibility (which just doesn't happen in a tab target environment).

rSHxVEY.gif

Legios have a distinct advantage in the closing moments of the hungerdome due to their knockback.

In 1.0, there were a few other people that played a lot of legio and consistently made it to the scrum at the end, yet Oberon almost always came out on top.

It wasn't a revolving door between the 3 best legios, it was Oberon over and over.

That doesn't happen with small differences in skill. That only happens if the difference between Oberon and the "2nd-tier" legios is significant, which means the difference between Oberon and the bottom of the barrel is huge..

you make it sound like pressing 3 is equal to godlike mechanics...

Oberon's good, no doubt, but please... evaluate the whole thing before making statements like that

you make it sound like pressing 3 is equal to godlike mechanics...

Oberon's good, no doubt, but please... evaluate the whole thing before making statements like that

Freeze's holy book of winning the Hungerdome:

1) Pick Legio

2) Run to Fountain

3) Press 3

I like the Animation locks honestly. I know them from Tera combat and the way you have to commit to an attack gives a bigger strategy layer, instead of straving and floating all over the board without any kind of physical attachement to your surounding.

If this is not your playstyle, that is fine but give them at least time until they move to the Clientside and have everyone a chance to judge themself instead of inforcing change already.

Yes. I'm aware that I'm more sounding like a mindless Bio-Drone instead of a Player and thus my judgement and taste in combat has no merit at all against your arguments. Beep-Boop.

I played a lot with Animation locked combat and done right, it is my highest preference to play with honestly.

Don't think I'm a fan of the animation locking in a game like this either. Reserving opinion until I've tested more, but it's awfully awkward to move and engage in combat atm.

Does anyone else think that instead of hard animation locks they should simply reward players for standing still. If it is in fact a physics based system, then it would make sense to grant some sort of stability bonus. If there was a 20% bonus to damage for being still whilst swinging, players would have the choice between dealing more damage and retaining mobility in any given situation. Or, perhaps there should be a small window in every skill to cancel out of it, with a dodge or another skill. In any case, I definitely agree with some of the others about how animation lock is looking so far and what it means for the skill ceiling of the game.

Time to kill is both too high and too low. 1v1 for non dps classes or vs any moving target, TTK is ridiculously high as movement is a 95% dmg mitigator.

However, once you get into 5+ or to a lesser extent 4 man teams, an opportune CC and your fessors(plural) being nearby with flamethrowers up = dead target in 15s or so.

Going to be very interesting how this changes going forward.

Edited by angelmar

I can't determine how @Stubbs argument that politics ultimately will decide if this game is fun or not is serious or a joke. If politics was the only thing that made games like Darkfall fun, did they alter combat in someway? Did you get lost? Politics can occur in games that support lots of players. Thats like saying Warhammer Online failed because they didn't focus on politics hard enough. What absolutely horsesocks logic is that?

If players get frustrated with your core essential game systems, in Crowfalls case that would be PVP/Combat mind you, then the larger game will ultimately fail when players get frustrated with it. You can politic your way to champion of the eternal dregs as much as you want Stubbs, but if combat sucks, the game fails.

I don't really understand why hippies keep referencing these other games as some sort of shining north star example of what one specific aspect of that game should be cloned into Crowfall. In the end all of the games you are referencing have failed. Shadowbane. Darkfall. Darkfall 2 (or whatever the next version was). They've all largely failed. How do I know? You aren't there playing them still with full servers. If they are, why are you here exactly? Clearly there is a shortcoming somewhere or you wouldn't be trying to insert elements of that game into this one.

Combat was slow, boring, and ultimately players would have quit Crowfall if it stayed in that condition. Players can only tolerate bad game systems for so long.