Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
freeze

Friendly Fire isn't something you tack on at the end...

enable it!!!

More and more powers and abilities are being introduced with new archetypes and so far, my prediction is, that it'll be an absolute cluster custard once FF will be enabled! (and I'm not alone, listen to people on streams!)

So do it rather sooner than later.

FF, just like Full Loot, is a feature, the game must be designed around. You can't just throw it in at the end and hope it'll work. That will backfire massively!

Your combat needs to be designed around it.

All that data you collect atm might be completely useless in the end. So please don't waste your and our time.

Friendly fire isn't really all that vital to test tbh... as long as the feature actually functions correctly from a polish point of view that's all that matters, but I imagine in that regard it's not much different than changing flagging between deities or factions or groups etc. 

Obviously players will play differently when friendly fire is enabled, but that would be more of a tactical thing that players could evolve whenever the feature does make it in.

I think people just struggle to understand that once FF is enabled it's the player behavior and approach to the game that will have to change...  Some people seem to expect that if you turn FF on people will just ignore it and all just bunch up as if it was off, that will quickly be proven to be ineffective. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I don't think they will implement it during early stages, because this would scare off a lot of carebear backers who's biggest concerns are the colors they're gonna paint their castles with inside Eternal Kingdoms.

Just imagine the Alpha Forums being full of: "I found a bug. My AoE damaged my own team mates"

Edited by Qbs

people knocking their own teammates into the hunger as they're trying to kill me at the end. this would be fun :)

I can`t stress enough how important this feature is though - Freeze has a solid point here!
I was mildly disappointed when I noticed that combat test 1.1 was without FF.   ^_^

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Friendly fire isn't really all that vital to test tbh... as long as the feature actually functions correctly from a polish point of view that's all that matters, but I imagine in that regard it's not much different than changing flagging between deities or factions or groups etc. 

Obviously players will play differently when friendly fire is enabled, but that would be more of a tactical thing that players could evolve whenever the feature does make it in.

I think people just struggle to understand that once FF is enabled it's the player behavior and approach to the game that will have to change...  Some people seem to expect that if you turn FF on people will just ignore it and all just bunch up as if it was off, that will quickly be proven to be ineffective. 

Friendly fire is absolutely critical to test and to test it early. It has wide ranging effects, far wider than just 'learn to play differently'.

An old and grumpy gamer who should have grown up years ago.

uhvMkGn.png

Friendly fire is absolutely critical to test and to test it early. It has wide ranging effects, far wider than just 'learn to play differently'.

No... not really... but if you'd like to share your points on the kind of wide ranging effects they have to test i'd be glad to consider them. 

1.1 just seems to be a follow up on 1.0 (plus champion) so we'll see what they do with 2.0, it's supposed to not be the hunger dome, so could be more of a light CW. They might try adding FF during that.

Actually, it is as simple as removing the not-hitting-your-group-members bit.

gCWxS8u.jpg

Actually, it is as simple as removing the not-hitting-your-group-members bit.

Popping out of lurk shortly just to say: "What?"

And, because I can't help myself: "The current testing is not about emulating the final combat in the game, but testing combat systems (in a simplified focused framework). Archetypes, abilities, skills and the whole multiplayer engine being more important than FF. It will get introduced eventually, because everything, all the skills and abilities will be revamped/rebalanced anyway once all systems/archetypes are in place. They implied this on multiple occasions."

Blah. We still have a loooong haul of testing and development ahead of us. Everything will change, don't worry too much, just say your peace and move on.

Back to lurking, damnit.

Edited by Osegrim

Popping out of lurk shortly just to say: "What?"

And, because I can't help myself: "The current testing is not about emulating the final combat in the game, but testing combat systems (in a simplified focused framework). Archetypes, abilities, skills and the whole multiplayer engine being more important than FF. It will get introduced eventually, because everything, all the skills and abilities will be revamped/rebalanced anyway once all systems/archetypes are in place. They implied this on multiple occasions."

Blah. We still have a loooong haul of testing and development ahead of us. Everything will change, don't worry too much, just say your peace and move on.

Back to lurking, damnit.

Yea, I worded that poorly, but essentially if there was no grouping system (it's useless anyways) you could hit everyone.

gCWxS8u.jpg

Not to mention the skills have all huge cones for some reason (= they don't want the skill ceiling to be too high). Which means it's very hard not to hit your team mates right now. I am very worried about this.

+1

That's just balancing though... right now they seem to be testing different types of behavior with their system, they aren't specifically balancing kits, it would make no sense right now anyway because they are going to be adding a lot more so it would just end in needing to be rebalanced later on anyway...

Just because it is difficult not to hit your teammates does not mean friendly fire would not be functioning as intended.

Edit (for triple negative in my sentence): If it is easy to avoid hitting teammates, then friendly fire would be pointless.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Just because it is difficult not to hit your teammates does not mean friendly fire would not be functioning as intended.

Edit (for triple negative in my sentence): If it is easy to avoid hitting teammates, then friendly fire would be pointless.

if an archetype has nothing BUT huge AoE/cone attacks, the archetype would be pointless

implementing FF early shows them, which powers might need to have smaller projectiles/AoEs/cones to keep the playing experience fun, instead of being completely frustrating.

yes, numbers will be tweaked all the time... but why not enable all variables from the getgo? WHY? there's literally not a single good reason not to.

These archetype kits are not final, nor are they tweaking for balance yet... some of these abilities will be moved to other archetypes or may even be removed by the time it is all said and done. 

There are very good reasons not to enable FF right now, one of which is that they don't need to have it on right now to test what they want to test. 

Another of which is that it may be overcomplicating the combat for what they need from the players right now. 

People cry there are no textures, devs implement it... silence.

People cry to have premade teams, devs implement it... silence.

People logically reason why FF needs to be enabled... "OMG, PLEASE PROVIDE SCIENTIFIC PROOF FOR HAVING IT IN A ALPHA TEST OF A PVP GAME LOL STATE UR REASONS SIR!!!!!!!"

7140.png

Edited by Qbs

I have never cried about anything game related in my life.  I am just questioning whether enabling friendly fire is essential at this point.  I agree with you that textures are not, but it makes sense that they would be a process being worked on an implemented over time; especially with no NDA.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I am just questioning whether enabling friendly fire is essential at this point.

Obviously not because of specific skills, which will be rebalanced at a later point with all archetypes on the board, but because to identify problems with combat dynamics at early development stages to avoid bigger problems later on. FF will e.g. demonstrate, that the animation locks and overall static combat needs to be sped up and reworked in most parts - that's just one example.