Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
freeze

Friendly Fire isn't something you tack on at the end...

I'm not sure that friendly fire is exactly as core a game mechanic as certain forum members seem to think it is. While Crowfall will feature it, it's going to be relegated to a few, almost certainly lesser in popularity, campaigns that the majority of the players will never touch. Experimental campaign features are exactly the type of thing they've been saying since the beginning will be tested in a live environment - even the ones they've been mentioning from the beginning.

Friendly fire is not being tested now because it isn't part of the core game experience; it's as simple as that.

I'm not sure that friendly fire is exactly as core a game mechanic as certain forum members seem to think it is. While Crowfall will feature it, it's going to be relegated to a few, almost certainly lesser in popularity, campaigns that the majority of the players will never touch. Experimental campaign features are exactly the type of thing they've been saying since the beginning will be tested in a live environment - even the ones they've been mentioning from the beginning.

Friendly fire is not being tested now because it isn't part of the core game experience; it's as simple as that.

Well the confusion is understandable considering it was mentioned several times in their early marketing videos and whatnot. And the reason people are concerned about its inclusion is because it has a significant bearing on the development of a healthy meta-game in which organized groups can pick apart the undisciplined chaos of a zerg.

Hmmmno I'm pretty sure it is, at least, the devs want it to be. It's just not that testable yet because of the current state of the tech that is necessary for FF to work properly (and still be playable) and they're focusing on getting the most of that right first. After that it'll probably quickly get in, because I believe they'll recognize it as a vital design challenge (or part of one: combat) that needs extensive testing.

Look at question 15 here from the Physics FAQ:

https://backers.crowfall.com/#/faq/physics

And hidden at the end of question three in the Combat FAQ "...hitting accidental targets":

https://backers.crowfall.com/#/faq/combat

Edited by Osegrim

And hidden at the end of question three in the Combat FAQ "...hitting accidental targets":

https://backers.crowfall.com/#/faq/combat

That's possibly in Guild Wars 2 - a game that doesn't even have real PvP. You're reading far too much into that to try to grasp some support. 

The fact that they've mentioned friendly fire before isn't in dispute. Whether or not it's a core or niche feature is. 

The fact that they've mentioned friendly fire before isn't in dispute. Whether or not it's a core or niche feature is. 

They didn't merely mention Friendly Fire, they said they plan to implement it wherever possible.

IhhQKY6.gif

[Citation Needed]

Osegrim just posted it.  I guess you didn't bother to read what he linked.

But here you go again: Crowfall Physics FAQ

DOES THAT MEAN THAT I CAN BE HIT BY FRIENDLY FIRE?

Wherever possible, yes -- but we have to make sure that this is balanced. Some rules sets (like the infected worlds, which are Faction based) divide players automatically into teams. We have to make sure that players can't join teams specifically to take advantage of friendly fire to grief their own "teammates."

Our plan is to try and apply debuffs to players for doing damage to or killing their teammates (the gods curse you for your incompetence). If this proves not to be a good enough deterrent, however, we may have to turn friendly fire off for particular Campaign worlds.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

Osegrim just posted it.  I guess you didn't bother to read what he linked.

But here you go again: Crowfall Physics FAQ

So no, they didn't say they were going to implement it wherever possible. They said you could be hit by friendly fire wherever friendly fire is possible These are two drastically different statements. 

Guess you're the one who didn't bother to read it.

Edited by Isarii

So no, they didn't say they were going to implement it wherever possible. They said you could be hit by friendly fire wherever friendly fire is possible These are two drastically different statements. 

Guess you're the one who didn't bother to read it.

Wow.

IhhQKY6.gif

You are flat-out wrong.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/9825-friendly-fire-isnt-something-you-tack-on-at-the-end/page-7#entry241189

But keep lying to yourself.

I mean, I'm assuming "fluffer" is just another pjorative term for carebears, whales, etc. Of course, I could be incorrect, but I doubt it.

WTF?  Friendly Fire?  https://youtu.be/H07zYvkNYL8?t=3s

Why on earth would you enable friendly fire on a game filled with AOE, and battles with 2+ opposing teams... it just doesn't make any sense.

It would make even less sense to put out a build where there was friendly fire, and have the skills built for that (smaller hitboxes and more precise and directional),  but have the game be mostly unplayable because everyone's dying all the the time because of the lag and accidentally hitting teamplayers and really just not getting the data and publicity you want. It just makes for a crappy testing environment. At least now people are having fun with it as well.

Those skills are likely to change once friendly fire is in. With the speed and flexibility they're developing it, that won't be much of a problem.

Well he understands how FF is a necessity and you don't.

I understand it doesn't work with the current combat right now. The combat (and performance) need to change before we even want to get FF in. Like Todd explained in the AMA as well.

I think FF could be a fun extra option to enable in certain campaigns, but do I think it's a necessity? No, certainly not. Will I test it? Ofc and I'll give my honest opinion about it. 

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Since ACE implements features based on backer demand ( Pre - Made teams feature is an example of this ), I am going to voice my opinion.

I want to hurt everyone.  Hurry your butts on me friendly fire mates.  If the combat does not work with friendly fire, which is the current case, get the appropriate one online ASAP so we can have friendly fire.  It's a little hard to feel the "grim" of the universe when I am interacting with "make believe" steel and fluffy pillows.

No pressure guys, since there isn't any friendly fire, remember?

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.