Combat System  

966 members have voted

1. 1. What combat system do you want?

• Tab Targetting
    • Action Based (with hotbars)
    • Action Based (withOUT hotbars)
    • Action Based (Random Deck System)
    • Action Based with Active Blocking
    • Something totally different (Please post your reason below)

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crossposting from the other combat thread:

As far as combat goes, there are a few things which I find to be very important:

1. Ditch the WoW model. We're tired of "spell based" combat where you use a hotkey rotation to maximize your damage/surviability.

2. Don't do twitch. The alternative to the wow model cannot be a system where you aim melee attacks. Aiming ranged attacks is perfectly fine, but if you try to do this with melee attacks it's either too hectic, too susceptible to ping issues, or it looks awful.

Let ranged attacks behave like they might in a first person or over the shoulder shooter. Let melee attacks behave more like a fighting game- where different key combinations execute different attacks. Targeting should be sort of like a "soft lock" where your focus "snaps on" to various valid targets when you move your camera between them. Allow for manual dodging and blocking/parrying/riposting of attacks.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the combat should look and feel realistic! Invest in great motion capture animation! Consult historical martial artists! Give your combat that gritty, visceral feel that is often sorely lacking in MMOs.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

For me tab targeting is imo kinda boring so voting for action based system. Active blocking is nice, e.g. you can rise your shield by pressing and holding rmb and faceing incoming attack, or if we have 2h sword or dual wield, pressing rmb just in time to block an attack, stuff like that.

I think a lot if it depends on what they are going to be doing with the game.

If it's a more strategy oriented war game, like shadowbane, then I honestly think tab targeting is superior.  The game can be more about politics, strategy, tactics, logistics, and organization, with less emphasis on the "win" being all about who runs around dodging better.  This is mainly because all those things simply do not scale well into very large fights, and end up detracting from the fun of coming up with interesting builds/strategies in a rocks/paper/scissor environment.

The "interesting" aspects of action-based games are largely lost as a fight scales up in numbers because it simply does not really matter.  Dodging an incoming attack, manually, means nothing when there's hundreds of attacks/aoes being thrown all over.  If the game is totally built up around all that kind of stuff, it just becomes really crappy in large fights.  

I think Shadowbane vs Darkfall is a great example of this.  Going from a siege commander in Shadowbane (tab target), to playing a large fight in Darkfall (action based), it felt like there was nothing to "lead" in large fights.  It went from properly building a group to work a certain way, organized target calling/siege tactics, using group formation to properly flank, making sure everyone had the proper items/resists/characters for our strategy, and so much more - to just "okay, everyone go attack!", or "okay, everyone run away!".  There was little to manage.

But like anything, within each style of play, there is a MASSIVE amount of room to succeed or fail.  Either could potentially be awesome or utter crap.

I am a cautious fan in waiting since most action combat games make me ill & I can't play them for long. Not to do with head bob so much as camera controlled by mouse movement which is pretty essential for twitch/action combat. So we'll see how this goes.

Let ranged attacks behave like they might in a first person or over the shoulder shooter. Let melee attacks behave more like a fighting game- where different key combinations execute different attacks. Targeting should be sort of like a "soft lock" where your focus "snaps on" to various valid targets when you move your camera between them. Allow for manual dodging and blocking/parrying/riposting of attacks.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the combat should look and feel realistic! Invest in great motion capture animation! Consult historical martial artists! Give your combat that gritty, visceral feel that is often sorely lacking in MMOs.

Fighting game style mechanics are where it's at.  It allows for the dynamic and fun "action combat" but without needing twitch headshotting b.s. that is often hampered by MMOs with too many latency issues. 

And getting quality animations is vital.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

To be honest I don't have a style I prefer, it depends on the game, but I feel that First Person or 3rd Person with an action based skill combat system would be awesome for this "spiritual successor" to Shadowbane.

I can definitely agree on wanting a game that has really smooth combat/visuals.  I loved that shadowbane, visually, did not seem terribly over bloated with combat.  No frilly jumping around, no super insane melee attacks that blew people back fifty feet, players instantly charging across the screen, or some whirlwind animations that would never work in real life.   A realistic feel would be a nice touch (even if still fantasy).

I can definitely agree on wanting a game that has more realstic combat/visuals.  I loved that shadowbane, visually, did not seem terribly over bloated with combat.  No frilly jumping around, no super insane melee attacks that blew people back fifty feet, instantly charging across the screen, or some whirlwind animations that would never work in real life.   A realistic feel would be a nice touch (even if still fantasy).

Oh...there better be JUMPING in an MMO in 2015

If I wanted to play a shooter I would.  If I wanted to play an MMO shooter I would be back on Darkfall.  That's too much of a niche market to keep and grow a healthy population.  The market this game seems to be catering to is a bunch of old school gamers who are looking for something we haven't had in 20 years.  Its awesome, but if you force them into playing shooter types you will end up having the top 10% of twitch kids pooping on the rest and driving them off the game. (like Darkfall)

Oh...there better be JUMPING in an MMO in 2015

Hah, jumping in MMOs can be just fine.  Bunny hopping leetskeet dark knights that whirlwind around pwning bro's all day, is, well, another thing.

If I wanted to play a shooter I would.  If I wanted to play an MMO shooter I would be back on Darkfall.  That's too much of a niche market to keep and grow a healthy population.  The market this game seems to be catering to is a bunch of old school gamers who are looking for something we haven't had in 20 years.  Its awesome, but if you force them into playing shooter types you will end up having the top 10% of twitch kids pooping on the rest and driving them off the game. (like Darkfall)

League of Legends style of Combat then?!

GW2s hybrid tab-target/action combat (animation, hitboxes, smoothness)+ mana + roles (healers, supports, damage dealers, tanks, hybrids) . I would cry out of happiness if some game aproaches to that.

5roh8Km.png

First person or over the shoulder with tab targeting elements.  This type of combat system would have be tweaked pretty hard though as it only caters to specific group of people, hence why the Darkfall community was so small.  But if a better system could be created and the tempo set at an even pace (say similar to Chivalry?) I think it would be fairly solid.

Stardust Green

Archived