Combat System  

966 members have voted

1. 1. What combat system do you want?

• Tab Targetting
    • Action Based (with hotbars)
    • Action Based (withOUT hotbars)
    • Action Based (Random Deck System)
    • Action Based with Active Blocking
    • Something totally different (Please post your reason below)

The answer to this is easily tab targeting. Do people want an active blocking FPS MMO with combat the same as mount and blade for a game like this? The reality of that is a bunch of spammy fights where lack of organization is not nearly as big a problem it would be if people cannot get on target. Organization should be rewarded.

Waste Management

Ventrilo info: Carbon.typefrag.com 8165 pw Tootdat

Personally I like the way that WildStar had it with telegraphs.

You tab target to find the guy you want to hit and then you cast a rectangle or cone that shows both allies and enemies where the spell will hit so that while you're casting, allies can move into a heal and enemies can move out of an attack.

Action based MMOs have a pretty bad track record since the lag monster always wins. And my reflexes are not getting better has I get older so I support /stick with guided auto attacks use the key pad to chose auto attack direction and sift + keypad to chose guard direction. then have up to 15 special ability spells on on ALT + keypad 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 / * - +  WASD movement 

I want to have full control over swinging my weapon, raising my shield, blocking, parry etc. If its first person i`d say something similar to Mortal online. If it can not be first person, i`d say something similar to Mount&Blade. 

I realize there is a problem with everyone saying "do it like this game!", but thats what you get when you ask gamers for input...

Im happy to see "Action based Combat with Active Blocking" in the lead  :D

I personally would love to see a different form of Turn based system.

Completely agree.  The biggest issue with the "WoW" model is it is way too simple so you end up with a 3-8 key rotation.  I want to see something much more complicated and there is no "key rotation".  Extremely dependent on our surroundings. 

I have kind of mixed feelings about this. Unlike a lot of folks, I enjoy 'hotbar' systems. I really enjoyed the hybrid systems of Wildstar and Guild Wars 2, which had a lot of in-combat movement and required dodging to stay alive and succeed.

On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of games like X-COM and the relatively new Divinity: Original Sin, and I played the bejeezus out of Final Fantasy Tactics. If they could pull off a compelling turn-based tactical system I'd be in heaven.

I like the idea of active blocking mainly because I don't at all like the spells in a game like WoW and grew tired of turn based games. Active Blocking would seem to make combat exciting other then being able to get a drink in a turn based game while the other team goes.

The discussion of tab-target esque pvp vs "action" style pvp is quite salient - if we end up with an "action" based game we might as well go to Darkfall, or Chivalry:Medieval Warfare.

A tab target type of game punishes lack of organization and focuses more on collective skill than otherwise, wherein the gvg sort of is like a bunch of duels going on at once.

Waste Management

I voted for action based, with active blocking (like Mount and Blade), my favorite game of all time!

I really hope it is anything but tab-target... that would be an automatic not playing for me.

EOWWuhQ.png 

The answer to this is easily tab targeting. Do people want an active blocking FPS MMO with combat the same as mount and blade for a game like this? The reality of that is a bunch of spammy fights where lack of organization is not nearly as big a problem it would be if people cannot get on target. Organization should be rewarded.

Uuu,... yes? Active blocking combat is easily some of the most skillful combat. Tab target games are for players who don't really want to put in any time learning a combat system. Themepark tab target games are too easy, and try to cater to casual players who can't get good at games that require aim, or good movement. Tab targetting relies on RNG, and equipment of a character, instead of reflexes, timing, blocking, and pure skill. I would much rather have ANYTHING but tab targeting.

EOWWuhQ.png 

Uuu,... yes? Active blocking combat is easily some of the most skillful combat. Tab target games are for players who don't really want to put in any time learning a combat system. Themepark tab target games are too easy, and try to cater to casual players who can't get good at games that require aim, or good movement. Tab targetting relies on RNG, and equipment of a character, instead of reflexes, timing, blocking, and pure skill. I would much rather have ANYTHING but tab targeting.

Action based games are moreso individual based pvp, not really GVG focused in comparison to tab-targeting done right. As long as there is a reasonable ceiling on equipment etc then tab targeting is far superior for a large scale gvg based game - the market is inundated with FPS type games to get the quick 'action fix'.

Waste Management

Action based games are moreso individual based pvp, not really GVG focused in comparison to tab-targeting done right. As long as there is a reasonable ceiling on equipment etc then tab targeting is far superior for a large scale gvg based game - the market is inundated with FPS type games to get the quick 'action fix'.

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. You are saying the market is filled with FPS, and or FPS-type games, when the MMO market (which we are talking about) is filled with tab target games. Most MMORPG games are tab target, and that is a fact.

You think that tab target is skillful, and better suited for large-scale combat, but then offer no explanation as to why. So I ask you, why do you believe this to be true?

EOWWuhQ.png 

I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. You are saying the market is filled with FPS, and or FPS-type games, when the MMO market (which we are talking about) is filled with tab target games. Most MMORPG games are tab target, and that is a fact.

You think that tab target is skillful, and better suited for large-scale combat, but then offer no explanation as to why. So I ask you, why do you believe this to be true?

I come from shadowbane, a game where GVG was a real group effort and not just a bunch of l337 solo players running in to swing swords like in chivalry medieval warfare:

FPS based combat would mean that a guild/group can not punish another guild/group for lack of organization and cohesion. The end result is spammy PVP like in games like chivalry, and the multiplayer aspect of Mount and Blade. Whilst those are good games, it is not that conducive to a game that is heavily focused on the guild and gvg aspects.

Waste Management

Me wants them God of War III style combat, or even Mortal Kombat style, so that my 10yo cousin can beat the poorly made socks out of you all ol' MMO junkies.

INTELLIGENCE over DEXTERITY PLEASE.

Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.