Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fuggeroffuggington

"exotic" Items And Full Loot Vs Pve Compromise

Destiny has a system of "Exotic Items" which are like the rare items with some additional bonuses -- and you can only wear/use 1 at once (1 gun and 1 armor).

If the game heads to full loot, you do potentially turn off a large sect of the PvE item collecting crowd. However, if players could equip 1 exotic, and the "thing" about exotics is that they do not drop on death -- you'd create a bit of a compromise and an opportunity. Like in Destiny, players will not pick their exotics and stick with them, they'll end up collecting them all. So, youve created a metagame of exotic collecting. This gives you opportunity for PvE rewards. These items should not offer additional PvP bonuses over crafted gear, but perhaps unique cosmetics and PvE bonuses such as bonus damage versus the undead (thus not usurping crafted gear in battle).

I actually really enjoyed collecting exotic guns in Destiny and would consider myself in the PvP crowd. This would also help ensure a healthy population of the raid-pve folks, who are by far the best to pk.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

Fugger of Fuggington - Shadowbane

SkippyBojangle - PS4

I wouldn't mind the suggested exotics system, nor would I really mind partial loot. But if we can equip 1 exotic, could players craft exotics as well?

items won't drop at all, hopefully

It was confirmed in the interview that you can "kill players and take their stuff", we don't know to what extent that is yet.

Edited by nehemia

Like I wrote in another thread, I think death should definitely have bite, but it shouldn't be a big **** YOU. Full Loot worked in UO because it was easy to re-coup your losses (i.e. crafting).

Items lost on death in Asheron's Call was based on your level and their cost. People could avoid losing their best equipment by carrying highly valuable junk.

Full Loot in DFO was a little bit more demoralizing because of the grind.

I'm hoping they can find a happy medium, where death hurts and you want to avoid it at all costs (so it doesn't degenerate in to death match), but not so much where you get discouraged to continue playing.

Edited by helix

I have mixed feelings on this idea.

The best items in the game absolutely must drop on death, they are the things that drive the game forward.

However, if there was a special type of item (holy items, lets call them) that was only of average statistical value, with a bonus of staying with you when you are turned into a ghost? That might be okay, as long as there is a limit of only one such item per character. But it can't be a top tier item, not at all, and shouldn't even be a good item.

It should be a decision to make before going into battle.

Do I wear my best armor, or do I wear my "holy" armor that doesn't drop on death, but which has a lower AC value than my best armor?

To take it a step further, holy items could be limited in another way- when you die while wearing them, you lose x gold or other resources from your bank, and those resources are spawned on your corpse. So in a way you end up risking value with your holy armor anyway, even if you don't lose the actual holy armor.

Actually it could be kind of awesome if these items had a 5 percent chance of dropping on death.

Would make looting them from a player pretty epic. However, it would also make players more prone to rage quit.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

Fugger of Fuggington - Shadowbane

SkippyBojangle - PS4

My opinion on this is you should just drop what your wearing no matter how valuable (if there is a drop on death system which we believe the devs are leaning towards.) I see no reason to half ass it as long as the game makes it clear what the players are getting into. You KNOW when you play a game that advertises it, if you go fight people with your fancy armor, you could lose it. You can attack other people, steal their items and be stronger for it. Now suddenly everyone is running around with their most powerful items and no fear of losing it. Anyone would probably be able to craft the rest of their armor/weapon sets or get enough money to buy it due to farming exotic items like this and selling them to players who don't have them. I think by doing this you would take away a large portion of the game, the consequence for death are thrown out. It wouldn't even matter that you limit it to one slot.  

Also the devs so far have shown to be leaning heavily towards this being a mostly PvP game, I highly doubt a healthy PvE community is going to bloom unless it takes up a much larger portion of the game than the devs are hinting at. Which kind of defeats the point of having such a PvP heavy game when everyone is too busy raiding to get items because they become the only real safe source of income in the game.
Could be wrong about all of this though, because you know, just kind of speculating what would happen in that environment without actual testing of it. =P

bah...i'm fine with inventory loot on death only

but ill keep saying it...

the BEST gear HAS to be Player made, always....for the sake of the economy and crafters as well as because farming for drops orally gratifies goats...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

You can still collect items and keep them in your bank. You just wont be using them a lot in the world. 

Keep in mind, gear acquisition will work differently then in other games. If it is full loot then gear is going to be easier to get. Things will drop more and sometimes better loot.

Biggest problem with your system is you will have people running around naked, with a strong weapon, trying to kill people and take their loot while not risking anything. They will probably have decent damage and won't be risking anything.

Edited by Tyrogon

As someone who really hates crafting and doesn't want to have to deal with it on an extremely regular basis, I just think partial loot is better.  Anything touching your body itself is bound to your soul or some crap, and comes along with you for the ride.  Bags and stuff left behind.  Eventually it breaks permanently; maybe some leetskeet crafters can somehow fix permanently broken gear.  All I know is I dislike naked fights, naked battles, and not being able to get back to a fight quickly if its something like a "mine fight" or some prolonged battled.

It's not like the best items in the game can't have ABSURD repair costs, too.  Killing someone with really good items can be a severe blow to them if it cost millions to repair it, or whatever is considered high currency.

Edited by frobobo

The original designs (pre-release) for Shadowbane included talk of a system that would let you soulbind a small number of items to you (only 2-3, not even a full suit of armor). This was supposed to be an expensive, demanding, and temporary process. Later Shadowbane just went ahead and made the loot inventory-only without being able to loot equipped items.

Equipment loot is something I'd like to see, but I'd be comfortable with a soulbinding system for a couple of items. Again, so long as the process is significantly expensive and you could only do it for an item or two.

Edited by recatek

However, if players could equip 1 exotic, and the "thing" about exotics is that they do not drop on death -- you'd create a bit of a compromise and an opportunity.

By this you mean -now, that full loot is almost 100% sure- that if I wear an exotic item, but they bring me down, they can loot everything off from me, except that 1 exotic item? Actually I can live with this idea. Well, ok, epic stuff is lost, but my UltimateDragonLightningGjaljahörnSword stays. Not that bad, I can still fight in an Adam costume, but at least I have a kick-ass sword.

Devs, please implement this idea. (Also I gave permission to use the name UltimateDragonLightningGjaljahörnSword).

Edited by Lyk3nothx

This is the same concept as the "blessed" items thread. My opinion is the same. I like this idea as long as it is limited to 1 exotic equipped at a time.

I like getting phat lootz from mobs, but I also like full loot. This is the best compromise. Bonus damage vs mobs is a great way to not screw up balance in PvP. UO had this, silver weapons.