Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kairus

Body temperature

This may have been suggested before but my search didn't turn anything up.

Has body temperature as a survival stat been explored at all? It would add another layer of danger to the winter season, it could potentially add armor diversity and would force you to make camps when travelling which could lead to interesting player interactions.

Warmth has been mention quite a lot, but no one is quite sure what it will be about. Maybe that is the body tempature you're seeking.

In what way Tragic? Personally I think it would it would be a great addition if crafters would be needed to keep people warm. Crafting should be vital and a core mechanic to the game. This could be done with food or maybe something entirely else like warmth crystals some people suggested.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

In what way Tragic? Personally I think it would it would be a great addition if crafters would be needed to keep people warm. Crafting should be vital and a core mechanic to the game. This could be done with food or maybe something entirely else like warmth crystals some people suggested.

Because now players will need to constantly worry about a nuisance that doesn't add any interesting nuance that is needed to justify such an annoyance.

BTW: If you are responding to someone PLEASE QUOTE THEM IN THE RESPONSE!!!  The person to whom you are responding wont get alerted that you responded if you don't quote, so there is likely they will never see it. I only saw this because I frequent the forums far more then I should.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Because now players will need to constantly worry about a nuisance that doesn't add any interesting nuance that is needed to justify such an annoyance.

BTW: If you are responding to someone PLEASE QUOTE THEM IN THE RESPONSE!!!  The person to whom you are responding wont get alerted that you responded if you don't quote, so there is likely they will never see it. I only saw this because I frequent the forums far more then I should.

You're evaluating Crowfall as a themepark RPG. The truth is though, for emergent gameplay to actually get interesting, there needs to be a sense of danger. Not only that, but there needs to be several of these "nuisances" that create a sense of scarcity in the world for the player controlled economy to work at all. 

It becomes interesting when you're in the middle of a forest, almost out of food, and you see another player near by.  Will you ask them for food? Stalk and attack them when the opportunity presents itself?  Team up and try to find some?  From what has already been said, it sounds like there will be some kind of warmth mechanic requiring food, which is, more or less,  what the OP was asking about.

You're evaluating Crowfall as a themepark RPG. The truth is though, for emergent gameplay to actually get interesting, there needs to be a sense of danger. Not only that, but there needs to be several of these "nuisances" that create a sense of scarcity in the world for the player controlled economy to work at all. 

It becomes interesting when you're in the middle of a forest, almost out of food, and you see another player near by.  Will you ask them for food? Stalk and attack them when the opportunity presents itself?  Team up and try to find some?  From what has already been said, it sounds like there will be some kind of warmth mechanic requiring food, which is, more or less,  what the OP was asking about.

You both seem to be assuming that the addition of any "hardcore" and/or "dynamic" mechanic is inherently good, which simply isn't true. Nuisances are a bad way to force emergent game-play, and a body-temperature mechanic is JUST nuisance. Limiting potential (such as limited ammunition) is a far better way to develop dynamic play then creating "realistic" limiters. (Limiters have their place, of course. But this is not the right kind of limiter, and is not being put towards the right purpose.)

A very very unlikely mechanic. If it were included, it would be a MASSIVE nuisance, that doesn't add much to the game.

Not necessarily. The Frostweaver backstory insinuates that she sees her prey by the heat given off.

BACKSTORY

You’ve wandered far from home, child – you cannot survive here. I can see the heat drain from your body with every breath.

Will you dance with me? It has been so long since I had a partner.

Oh, it speaks! Unexpected! It asks my name? How delightful. I shall answer it, for I am amused.

I am Xaluara, little one. Xaluara Dane, Frostweaver and Witch-wife, Scion of Caer Correina and Thrall-maiden of the Prince with Four Faces.

How long have you been hiding in this little cave?

It is Winter, now. Your kind has left… left, or died! A pity. I find it so lonely now.

Come, my little feral wolf -- let us dance! I am bored and my blade is so cold.

You are so alive, so full of warmth! Surely you can spare some for me?

Hopefully this means that Frostweavers get a short-duration track ability that shows them the heat signature of objects on the screen.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Not necessarily. The Frostweaver backstory insinuates that she sees her prey by the heat given off.

Hopefully this means that Frostweavers get a short-duration track ability that shows them the heat signature of objects on the screen.

You are assuming this is a literal heat system being referenced, but it is very likely to be some sort of abstraction. This game is definitely not a simulator, and with all the "evil" non-literal uses of the terms "winter, cold, hunger" It is reasonable to assume that these will be abstract systems, not literal.

Dayz had a body temperature system and with each patch it flipped between unreal nuisance and generally ignored. I'd like to see one in CF, but only if they can get it somewhat balanced.

gCWxS8u.jpg

You are assuming this is a literal heat system being referenced, but it is very likely to be some sort of abstraction. This game is definitely not a simulator, and with all the "evil" non-literal uses of the terms "winter, cold, hunger" It is reasonable to assume that these will be abstract systems, not literal.

That will be fine with me.

To support CF is to embrace Fun > Realism.

I just want to see different archetypes dealing with typical game phenomena in different ways that give interestingly varied positive results.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

You both seem to be assuming that the addition of any "hardcore" and/or "dynamic" mechanic is inherently good, which simply isn't true. Nuisances are a bad way to force emergent game-play, and a body-temperature mechanic is JUST nuisance. Limiting potential (such as limited ammunition) is a far better way to develop dynamic play then creating "realistic" limiters. (Limiters have their place, of course. But this is not the right kind of limiter, and is not being put towards the right purpose.)

I'm not assuming it's good, I'm simply giving you a possible story that could make it interesting.  I'm not a huge fan of the survival stuff, I tolerate it.

I'm not assuming it's good, I'm simply giving you a possible story that could make it interesting.  I'm not a huge fan of the survival stuff, I tolerate it.

So... what was the point of... Never-mind... We seem to agree it isn't a good addition.

So... what was the point of... Never-mind... We seem to agree it isn't a good addition.

I like to play devil's advocate.  You get better discussion and generally are able to get why people are arguing for one thing or another.  

Edit: I especially do this when people seem really set in their opinion and I don't really see the underlying reason in their post.

Edited by yamix

I like this idea if it was more of a background thing than anything. Sounds like not a lot will change from the passing of the seasons in this game other than the mobs getting stronger. I'd like a small food mechanic too. Like food lasts for like 6 hours, isn't hard to find and you can play hungry but you suffer a small debuff.i think it would just make the world a little more immersive.