Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lazerus

Mounted Combat

A few things before i start off here. I tried using the search function and manually searching through the forums and found not much of anything on the topic. As well, I understand that a idea like this should not be considered until much later development stages of the game. That being said.

To begin, I know J Todd and much of the community has already expressed a big distaste for underwater combat, a stance I can agree to fully. I was curious however, on what everyone's stance was on Mounted Combat. Now as with underwater combat, there would have to be a separate system for it to work, however i think the system wouldn't need to be as difficult, and with a better yielding payout.

Now hear me out. My thoughts on how a fairly balanced mounted combat could work is, giving players the ability to cast some spells/attacks while on horseback. The most obvious spells that couldn't be used are dash/movement spells/abilities. As well, maybe not including some/all of the CC spells (Otherwise there would be no point to not just ride horseback everywhere). If you were to, lets say, be pulled by a knights chain, stunned, took enough damage, you would be knocked off of your horse. Or possibly the enemy could just kill the horse itself (at the loss of not being able to take them afterwards). The point of this system would be to still provide some immersive combat while your group is riding/running from/chasing enemies, yet to balance it to the point that it's not a must choice for fighting, but more of a immersive feature to the game.

These are just my opinions and thoughts on the matter, but i was more interested to see the community's thoughts, since i figured it would hit near the ballpark of underwater combat.

-Lazerus

11jyqgl.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild. All Your Artifacts Are Belong To Us

Unfortunately they said no mounted combat in an old interview. (On release)

Well then, /thread 

I do believe it's doable (and could be fun, but not completely without problems, like having more actors on the field with everyone on horses which would slow things down), but it's not as vital to the core game they're building for launch. It's a fun extra. They've only got so much money and so many time though sadly, so I rather have them focus on stuff that really matters. And have the normal combat be 'perfect'.

Edited by Osegrim

I played a game with mounted combat before, the strifing and backing up moving foward getting ( out of view ) while trying to use an abilty was just beyound annoying.. i think mounted combat would be more of a pain to the player base then its worth. Sure it sounds awesome but no one likes to die because someone is striffing and abusing the combat system. 

Honestly I would love some extent of mount combat. Such as jousting and single swift attacks on mount that can remove a fleeing enemy from their mounts or a quick attack that dashes through a mob. But there should be a limit to what you can cast on a mount.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I would say include mounted combat insofar as:

• Being used to unmount targets, like jousting, in that one direct hit sends you to the ground + falling damage (thus starting the ground combat)
  • Being able to implement drivebys (being able to deal moderate to large damage with locking animation or losing momentum/having to stop).

Think that would be a simple and effective way to put in meaningful mounted combat (used to dismount and punish / allow for a means to attack without animation-lock or force players to slow down or stop) while keeping the system as simple and de-emphasized as possible.

Edited by RKNM

Mounted combat and cavalry should be a staple of combat, it was the first major red flag when they omitted it.

http://i.imgur.com/YAGpXPd.png

Cavalry is typically implemented Broken, Unfun or Pointless in 99.999... of games. The only game Cavalry wasn't that I can think of is Mount and Blade.

Moving around a little bit faster, even having a skill set of attacks used while riding a mount don't really realize mounted combat.

In order for it to be genuine mounted combat you have to have roles and behaviors designed to act differently than you would with your typically foot combat.

The big difference with mounted combat is significantly greater speeds, momentum enhanced attacks, continuous motion attacks, and passing strikes rather than stationary melee.

Honestly doing mounted combat and cavalry adds another dimension to the battlefield the same way ranged weaponry adjusts the experience of melee fighting features. The three actually form a kind of rock paper scissors of combat.

Edited by bahamutkaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P