Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
atrayou

Voip Built Into Game

For many years now, guilds have used VoiP to coordinate their game play. Many of us rarely even look at chat bars as a result and miss out on a good deal of random conversation and interaction w/ non guild members. Having to stop everything I'm doing in order to type/talk to a player I've just met, just destroys the immersion of the world and often makes me choose to kill first and ask questions later. 

While I admit ignorance to how much stress this could put on the server, would it be impossible to have a push to talk option built into your character? Have it to where only those within a certain radius can hear you to avoid a mesh of jumbled noises. Maybe add in a shout option for sieges and other needed scenarios. Clearly ignore would need to be a feature to filter out the obnoxious kiddies who abuse the system. Disable shout in crowded areas like starting towns and I could see it being a pretty awesome feature. With advancement in AI, I could even see a reality in where we don't have to type or click while interacting with npcs. 

I know, it's probably not feasible, but it's fun to dream.

VOIP should be built into the game as directionally based voip.  Meaning, it only works like a /say style voip, where you can only talk/hear people within a certain area around you. 

TS and Vent programs can handle the strategic side of things, as stated.  Directional/position based voip on the other hand...  That would just be a fun feature.

Any in-game voip always has a toggle/mute capabilities. :P

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

No please. I mean, I would love it. But it can't be moderated. And I really rather not hear little kids personally screaming in my ear as they die...or an adult;)

Completely agree. This kind of chat can't be moderated at all. People can go around yelling racist and offensive things and there would be no way to action them. It's a lot easier and efficient to keep logs of a typed chat than a voice chat. The amount of data it would take to keep logs of a voice chat is outrageous and impractical. 

I am going to go with a strong no on my vote for this. As someone who has played games with in-game voice it leads to nothing but trouble. The issue with the gaming community is they think they can say what they want to other people. I'd could tell you some crazy things that have been said to me but we won't get into that.

I would be more than happy to set up a voice server for people to hang out on so it can be moderated. I also think guilds or communities should be in charge of their own servers and moderating them as they see fit for their group. 

This is an extra layer of bull that the developers have to deal with, prefer they concentrate on other things. What's wrong with typing? Reading is good for you :P

Edited by helix

it worked in PS2...

problem is, I mostly used it to yell at people for being wonderful people.

other people abused the system by acting like a radiostation and blasting music.

it's a nice feature, but not a must-have in my book.

No, no active Voip.  Recording voice messages to send to other people, however, I fully encourage.  Hatemail is fun.  But I don't want a annoying little squeakers screaming at me and making my ears bleed.  Voice messages at least give me the opportunity to lower my headset volume in expectation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLsLb-tK8A

Edited by GIHunter6

It's not as though they'd force people to always have an in-game voip set to the "on" position...  It would be optional...

Edit:  voip is wonderful easy and cheap, from my understanding.  Indie devs are using it more and more - Rust et al.  It's nowhere near comparable to not wanting voice acting for similar stated reasons.

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

devs how bout this ...compromise

you actually work with teamspeak/vent/mumble etc

so the voip is intergrated somehow in the innerface.

lil speaker pops about char head or on their name in group window...etc...shouldn't be hard to do.

cmon say it

synergy...oooooh....synergy.....oooooh

the buzzword has power....synergy.....oooooh

Edited by hillbilly

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

If you can't be bothered to use vent just log out.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Waste of resources honestly. Teamspeak and MANY other voip programs already out thar from free, open source, or pay per slots. And they already do those jobs well not to mention most people in organized guilds generally own thar own voice server.

krevra.png

I been messing around with H1Z1 a bit here and there the past few days, it seems to work ok in that game. However the population is a lot less than we will probably see in a MMO setting. 

I rather them spend money elsewhere in the  end, just avoid the problems of moderation that way.

If you can't be bothered to use vent just log out.

I'm always in vent, as are most players. I even stated that in my original post. I must have missed the part where vent enabled the feature to chat with any random character I come across in any random mmo.

If you guys prefer only talking to your buddies in the same vent server as you, both could easily be arranged.

The thought of needing to moderate what is being said kinda infuriates me. If someone annoys you, mute em. They have to be near you for you to hear em anyway...

If it would cost a ton of money and resources, (which i doubt) it would make sense not to consider. If you are worried about yelling kids and cussing trolls, that's silly and a non issue. If xbox and playstation can get away with voip with their giant playerbase, I'm pretty sure a simple "I agree" click could solve any need for moderation.

reading comprehension 4tw. Voip would be fun, definitely not necessary, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be enjoyed by some.Every complaint so far is easily taken care of.